Rush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Right. It might have been after CoS came out and it bombed that they were almost ready to throw in the towel but 2112 turned things around.

Oliver likes this.
  2. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah my recollection was that they put out an album on their terms full blown concept album with no real hits (2112) and if it tanked and they were done at least they could say they went out on their way.

Dave, CybrKhatru and GodShifter like this.
  3. texron

texron Rory On

Go back two more to include Fly By Night and Caress of Steel and I'm right there with you. They were the second concert I ever saw back in 1975. Saw them 30 years later in 2005. They were, IMHO, hit and miss after Moving Pictures, still a force to be sure. If they are done, they have an amazing legacy.

Dave likes this.
  4. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Big fan. Intelligent writing, longevity...and their playing! There's that old saying, you can't hide in a 3 piece band. If you watch Lifeson's guitar work, Geddy on the bass and Peart behind the kit, IMO you're hard pressed to find a trio with more talent on their instruments. Plus they're Canadian ;)

5. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

It actually took me awhile to really get into Rush. I've only gotten into them within the past year. I tried and tried for the longest time to get into the, but outside of a few singles, nothing really hit me. I just kept coming back to them and 2112 then Moving Pictures really got me hooked. I have all their classic-era albums, now I'm trying to crack into albums after Signals to see which I like.

6. Dr. Metal MD

No idea! Just found it on Google! Would make a sweet poster though.

7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I love the reissues. I just got the last two.

I've never owned Snakes and Arrows (2007) until now.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  8. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

If you don't have their rockumentary "Beyond The Lighted Stage" yet, I can highly recommend it, very well done!

9. Dr. Metal MD

I actually am in the middle of watching. Will probably finish it later tonight. It is very well-done indeed! I think somebody on this forum mentioned they had a documentary, so I went and found it on my Netflix.

Tornado Red likes this.
  10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have loved Rush since elementary school. Saw them 1 time on R30 in Tampa and I was in heaven. So many good albums through today, remarkable and I feel they really do stand apart from everyone. I love at least one album from each decade they have been around too, something I cannot say for anyone else. I have original vinyl, reissue vinyl, blu rays, dvd's and I can never get enough. Their music moves me like only few bands can, listening to Red Barchetta brings vivid visuals in my mind like I am actually screwing around in this car and it's almost overwhelming the feeling that I get. So many of their songs really get into my head like when you read a really good book and your imagination runs with it, plus the song structures, time changes, vocal phrasing, the sweeping most imaginative guitar solos and drum beats just catapult it over the top for me. The way Geddy sings is also legendary, so much feeling and honestly in his pipes and no one sounds like him. I love his voice and want to smack people that say they can't get into Rush because of it. Beyond the lighted stage is the greatest band doc ever for me, I even read Neil Peart's books, Ghost Rider is an amazing book.

11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Rush have been one of my favorite bands since I was 11 in 1981. Didn't see them live until 1988 but have barely missed a tour since.

Sean likes this.
  12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Wonderful just wonderful, My favorite Rush album. Just magical, One leg in the rock of Zep and Sab one in the world of prog.
    The production is a bit raw but fits the material. Necromancer, Fountain, Lakeside Park whats not to love. A Frickin Masterpiece in my book.
    All Rush up to and including Grace is great though.

Bananas&blow and Dave like this.
  13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like a couple of their underrated album right up there with the classic ones. Grace Under Pressure and Counterparts.

davers and CybrKhatru like this.
  14. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Me too.
    I'd add Hold Your Fire to that list. The band seems to feel that they went too far in the "keyboards" direction on this album, but I love it front-to-back. Great lyrics too...

Dave, stodgers, davers and 1 other person like this.
  15. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

We here (of a certain age) in Toronto appreciate Rush. They were always something to be proud of. Now we've got this clown Drake who has appointed himself the spokesman and mascot of our city and many of us wish it was still Rush we were mainly known for musically.
    As it is now (with said clown), many of us here are embarrassed.

basie-fan and Bob_Rush like this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

I wish time did stand still. For me, Rush were one of the bright spots of 80's rock. Very busy, yet always consistent.

Gregster likes this.
  17. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Because I'm a lists type-of-person, here is my ranking of the Rush studio albums from best to worst.

1. Permanent Waves
    2. Signals
    3. Hemispheres
    4. Moving Pictures
    5. Grace Under Pressure
    6. Caress Of Steel
    7. Power Windows
    8. 2112
    9. Fly By Night
    10. A Farewell To Kings
    11. Presto
    12. Hold Your Fire
    13. Rush
    14. Counterparts
    15. Roll The Bones
    16. Test For Echo

I don't own the last four releases.

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

"Snakes And Arrows" is an excellent album.

Ivand, bartels76 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  19. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Rush has always been my favourite band since high school. A friend made a cassette tape of GuP and Signals.
    After listening to it for a few times, I was hooked and never turned back. Presto was the first tour I saw at Maple Leaf Gardens.
    Even learned how to play bass and eventually picked up myself a red Wal.

Dave and Wounded Land like this.
  20. Dr. Metal MD

I love everything before Signals. I am hoping to branch out more. Any suggestions on which Rush albums I should go to next?

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Grace Under Pressure
    Counterparts
    Snakes And Arrows

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

1st take - start with the first album and get every single one in sequence, take your time (don't "rush") and witness their progression, growth, changes in sound etc. It's quite a journey.

Short answer - for the most essential Rush IMO, I would have to say start with either 2112 (1976) or A Farewell to Kings (1977) and then move in sequence through Hemispheres (1978), Permanent Waves (1980), and Moving Pictures (1981). If you're not hooked and wanting to hear more after those there may not be much point in trying other ones.

Weakest albums for me, which I guess I would not recommend for anyone just looking to explore them, would be the first one Rush (1974), Hold Your Fire (1987), Presto (1989), Test for Echo (1996), Vapor Trails (2002), and Feedback (a covers album from 2004)

Really you need all their albums though (including the many live ones too).

I didn't discover Rush until Permanent Waves came out. Up until then I thought they sucked - I vaguely remember seeing them on TV, something like Midnight Special or Don Kirshner a few years earlier, probably around the time of 2112, and my friends & I thought they were garbage. Three guys dressed in strange wimpy kimino looking outfits with a singer screeching like an ostrich playing some kind of (to us) totally pompous music. We probably turned the sound off/down until something else came on.

Then one morning my clock radio woke me up playing during an instrumental segment of the song Freewill from Permanent Waves. Instead of hitting the snooze button I lay there transfixed and hypnotized in awe of what I was hearing. Stayed there praying the station would eventually tell me who that band was. Immediately ran out and bought that album probably later that same day. Couldn't believe what I was hearing & couldn't stop playing it. Bought all the previous albums probably in the span of a week (was mighty confused to hear this same band on the very primitive sounding RUSH album, but loved the guitar gymnastics on Working Man regardless). Could not believe I had missed out on such a tremendous and unique set of albums. They pretty much dominated my turntable for the next 6 months, playing Fly By Night through Permanent Waves over and over and making my friends listen to them too.

Later when the followup to Permanent Waves came out (Moving Pictures) I was initially disappointed on my first listen (I wanted to hear Permanent Waves part 2) then being totally blown away on the second listen (it has become my favorite Rush album btw). Bizarre to say I remember listening to that album on headphones in my bedroom, sitting on the floor, making sure to not make noise & wake up my parents, staying up almost all night, listening to it like 5-10 times in a row, with The Camera Eye being an especially significant musical experience, just gazing at the album art while listening.

For the next 10-15 years or so I went to see them in Philly every show (they usually played at least 2 night stands at the Spectrum), even though their sets were pretty much always the same each tour - could not get enough, even if they kept playing the same thing. Watching Neil Peart in action was pretty amazing as it was, we used to count the number of times he threw the sticks up (& caught them).

Every year just waiting for the next Rush album to come out, the anticipation building to see what we'd get, then finally getting the payoff, was a big deal. Most of my friends weren't into them but the ones that were, we all had a special bond, a Rush sickness as it were. Can't think of any other bands that gave us that buzz, that excitement, that joy. I even remember a friend I worked with who shelled out the ungodly sum of $100 for a front row seat at one show. That was on the Grace Under Pressure tour. Back then $100 was like one week's salary, and the face value of those seats was probably only like $12.50. But he HAD to see them up close or die trying.

I remember the first time I did see them live, it was before Moving Pictures came out, but they played at least one song from that album, which Geddy introduced. We couldn't figure out what the heck the title of the song was at the time, I forget what we thought he said it was (something totally ridiculously wrong as it turned out), but the song turned out to be Tom Sawyer.

paradox55, balekutu and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  23. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Love everything up to and including Grace Under Pressure. Wasn't a fan of their work after that, however.

Permanent Waves was the album that got me into the band, as that was the one I pulled up on Youtube after seeing them at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performance. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite. Anything between 2112 and Moving Pictures is a contender for their best album.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  24. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Before and After - what a solid song from their début album:

Stormrider77 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  25. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

I was given a taped recording of 2112 when I was 13-14, from a friend at schools older brother...I was immediately hooked by the power, musicianship, & beautiful melodic music, plus the fact that they could create a suite that lasted the whole side of a record ! And side 2 was pretty impressive also, with such a varied variety of great music. I think I kept the tape for 3-months LOL, before making my 2nd generation copies !

I've been following the band ever since, & collecting the discography started from that point onwards, & 30+ years later, thankfully hasn't stopped.

Long live RUSH !!!

Cheers,

Gregster

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.