Rush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

So far I don't have duplicate copies of any one record, so I can't compare. Most of mine are originals. I bought the Moving Pictures remaster LP today- can't wait!

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think an intervention might be in order.

Dr. Metal MD and Jason W like this.
  3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I have it. Nothing to write home about on either front. I don't have the CD so I can't compare. Great music, though!

4. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let us know how it compares to the OP. That's the only pressing I have and it is among my best sounding records in my collection.

Thanks for chiming in!

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I must be real lucky because most folks complain of sibilance, non-fill and other nasty's, but my vinyl copy of this album is my go to. It sounds way better (to these ears) than the CD and HdTracks download. More realistic and easy on the ears. Still, it's no sonic wonder, a polishing of a tone turd .....if you will. :)

6. Dr. Metal MD

Hahaha thanks for your input!

7. Dr. Metal MD

Just got my 2 LP Exit...Stage Left reissue! Can't wait to give them a wash and a spin tonight with a cold beer.

Ivand and johnny q like this.
  8. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I read up on the vinyl; there's a thread here that covers it. But the long and short is similar to what @johnny q said, but with one caveat: the quality of each album has varied from decent to unplayable. It was apparently not a good run.

johnny q likes this.
  9. Dr. Metal MD

Ahhh, so it is a crap shoot in terms of getting a decent copy?

stodgers likes this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Hemispheres is quickly becoming my favorite Rush album. Tough to really choose and it partially depends on my mood, but Hemispheres is just so incredible. Anybody else have this as their favorite?

Maniacon \m/ likes this.
  11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I have had good results with a mix of isopropyl and distilled water, but a pint of Hobgoblin may do the trick too :)

Dr. Metal MD and stodgers like this.
  12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Rush is near and dear to my heart. So often over the decades they are there in the collection like an oldest friend always worth revisiting.
    Rush were definitely required for young Torontonians (no sure about elsewhere). After the baptism into hard rock with Kiss, which was very common, Rush were the next officially declared fav band and what a step up that was. I'm not dissing the propulsive excellence of Alive! and Detroit Rock City but going from those directly to 2112, All the World's a Stage and Farewell to Kings was absolutely mind expanding. For instrumental and narrative sophistication and still being slamming rock I can't think of a better next fav band for a growing young mind. They set a very high bar.
    Always super dug this vid for showing the combo of how down-to-Earth funny/ goofy they are and what great musicians they are.

13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Always super loved this vid too for the richly deserved enthusiasm of the crowd and how much the boys seem to be enjoying it all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

They're all favorites. (At least they are to me.)

Dr. Metal MD and boboquisp like this.
  15. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

i picked up a beautiful early pressing of Hemispheres today- love it!!

16. Dr. Metal MD

Nice! It wouldn't happen to be the original red pressing, would it?

17. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Does the red vinyl pressing have a good reputation re: sound?

18. Dr. Metal MD

Don't think it sounds any better than the 'normal' black. It's just a rare collector's item now.

Jason W likes this.
  19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Are they really that rare?

I have a few copies myself but I got them a long time ago and those and the picture disc seemed relatively common (as Rush collectibles go) back then too, but I've not really looked much since then.

20. Dr. Metal MD

I don't know how 'rare' they are. I thought I just read somewhere, I think on the Wikipedia page for that album, that the red copy is rare and a collector's item.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That appears to be the case. I was lucky, I guess.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  22. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

As an 11 year old I saw and heard Rush for the first time on Kasey Kasem's American Top 40 show...there was about a 2 minute snippet of Limelight!
    I borrowed a cassette tape of Exit Stage Left from a friend...still have it! Some of my favorite Rush music is on this album (Trees, Villa, Closer, etc)
    Subdivisions spoke directly to me as a suburban kid. Signals and Grace Under Pressure were huge at Mahopac High School!
    Saw Rush several times in the 80s, last time was on the Power Windows tour. When I went to college my music world changed a bit...but I still listen to much of their 70s and 80s music.
    Favorite Rush moment: one of my middle school students giving me a copy of the Rush in Rio DVD...

Ivand, Jason W and TexasBuck like this.
  23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Had no idea Rush made it to Top 40 radio. New World Man was their highest charting single.

I remember the video (MTV) for Limelight which was marked as "An MTV Concert" but was really from the Exit...Stage Left video.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  24. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

It is one of my favorites along Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. I still remeber how I got blown away the first time I listened to Hemispheres.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  25. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

it's time for a Hemispheres deluxe edition with an instrumental only version of the album

Dr. Metal MD and Ivand like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.