Rush: Clockwork angels gets worse with each listen.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You're missing out by not seeing them live. Aside from Geddy's voice (which is definitely not terrible) they're better than ever in terms of performance.

At least he's not out there lip syncing like Roger Waters. I have no idea how he keeps getting a pass for that.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

thread title is hilarious....
    I listened to it maybe two or three times. Haven't since. If it at least sounded halfway decent, I could give it some more effort. Neil's snare sounds like he's hitting a phonebook.
    Since Counterparts, I have really only liked Snakes & Arrows.

Stuart S and jacek2 like this.
  3. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I recently listened to both the studio version and the live versions and found the live versions way more exciting. Geddy may not sound great live, but at least the drum parts come across a lot better.

Stuart S likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

If you've not heard it on
    vinyl , you've not heard it

enro99 and Clanceman like this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

Me too. I like bits from the other (more recent) albums, but "Snakes & Arrows" is a complete listen.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Do you like the vinyl? I found it to be better than the CD for sure, but still nothing too special.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Is that because vinyl gives you a rest every few songs?

Sandinista, stodgers and LSP like this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Sounds far better imo, would
    love to hear VT & S&A on
    wax

9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

PF never resorted to extreme compression and tended to always use technology creatively instead of in place of creativity. The one cut I have heard from ER sounded to me like compression was very sparingly used.
    Can't say the same about later Rush stuff.
    PF also got better after TFC, which again, during the 90s Rush seemed to be churning stuff out without putting a lot of effort into it. Which is a shame. Given the creativity and abilities of the band members I would have thought they would use new technology creatively rather than generically.

10. marblesmike

A lot of people like 90s Rush. And compression doesn't affect songwriting.

ytserush likes this.
  11. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

True. Compression affects sound. And sound is what I am into. Well written songs with weak music and horrible musicianship, production, and arrangements don't interest me.
    On the other hand, poorly written songs can be turned into sonic masterpieces with great musicianship, production, and arrangements.
    I also consider Rushs songwriting from the mid 80s or so on to be quite pedestrian and uninteresting.

12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I'd almost rather that, at least for the old stuff. I think he sounds just fine on the newer stuff (which I don't care for, live or on record, and which comprise a large chunk of the setlists nowadays), but when he sings in that nasally/back-of-the-throat way to hit those notes he really can't hit anymore it makes me cringe. When I'm singing harmonies and need to get a couple notes above my typical range this is the same method I use, but I'm not the lead singer. It's so obvious when he does it, and so awful.

I just can't do it anymore, it ruins the whole experience for me. They need to either key down the songs to suit his new range, or stop playing the old stuff that he can no longer handle.

I was watching a recent show on Palladia a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as he started singing "Being the day with a friendly voice" sounding like a Muppet I just changed the channel. :(

Just my opinion, of course -- I'm glad they are still going strong after 40 years, more power to 'em. I've just never been one to feel that because I REALLY like a portion of a certain band's canon that I have to like all of it.

13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

At least Rush was creating. I can't remember that many albums from PF in the 80's and 90's, and so on. You're comparing an active band from a basically inactive one.

Sean likes this.
  14. marblesmike

You'd rather see someone lip syncing than making an honest effort? Point made I guess.

15. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I gave this album a listen recently and still love it. Sound quality aside, the songs are solid and that's what truly matters.

DiabloG, Clanceman, dlokazip and 2 others like this.
  16. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I was being a little sarcastic... but it would certainly be a lot easier to listen to! :(

17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

A band dumping more product on the market than another band doesn't mean they are necessarily "creating". PF took their time doing albums, but when they release something it is always a whopper.

Don't get me wrong about this, Rush isn't terrible. Their most recent stuff just doesn't measure up to their past the way PFs does.

Quality over quantity.

18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Lets be honest here. And I do love Floyd btw. But they weren't taking their time. They were inactive as a band. And whopper? The Division Bell, AMLOR are good but from from stellar. As far as Rush goes I like the fact they are still trying to create. I believe their longest break was when Neil had a family crisis some time ago. Yes sometimes their albums are not what I was hoping (Snakes and Arrows was a letdown) for but then they redeem themselves somewhere along the way. All bands suffer the same criticisms in the end, if they are around long enough.

19. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Listened about 10 times or so when I purchased it. Also thought the songs were solid also, but the sound was rough. I should give this lp another chance.

20. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I have a love/hate relationship with new Rush. I love the fact that it rocks, but hate most everything else about it, including many things said here: wall of sound guitars, Geddy's lack of range, compression, Neil's lack of originality, and the long drawn-out albums that seem to have no variety. Counterparts was their last good album, but I have found myself going back to Grace Under Pressure a lot recently, an album never among my favorites back in the day. And I think it is the songwriting and melodies, but also the rediscovering of something familiar, but less well-known.

But I am also one those who consider Presto to be among their best songwriting, so what do I know! ;)

zen and Carserguev like this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Great thread! I could talk all day long about Rush. I love all periods of Rush including the synth period which gets wrongly dismissed by many fans. There are lots of great songs on Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire. For the newer stuff I have always felt Test For Echo was quite excellent (although there is still some filler) and Counterparts has grown on me to the point where I really like that one. It has taken longer for Vapor Trails to grown on me but I do like the remixed vinyl version quite a bit. Snakes and Arrows is probably my favorite of the past 15 years (since Test Fro Echo) and it is really unfortunate that it was not mixed and recorded properly. Still love it for the three instrumentals and a few other great songs. Both Snakes and Clockwork suffer for the horrible wall of sound approach where everything blends together into one giant layer of noise. I still listen to them in short bursts but find it fatiguing to get through the whole albums. Damn shame because the music is great for the most part. I think bands these days should have far more input on exactly what is going down when an album is mixed and mastered. They cannot possibly listen to these recent releases and feel that they sound right can they? It is quite amazing that a mono record from 1968 can sound far, far better than anything technology can try and reproduce today. It really blows my mind. Lastly, my top eight Rush albums in no particular order: 2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, Exit Stage Left, All The Worlds A Stage.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Jam757 and stodgers like this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

This is an interesting read on the making of the album: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/making-of-snakes-and-arrows.php

I especially thought it was interesting that they mentioned compression and while the new vinyl is loud it is not overly compressed to the point where it causes ear fatigue. Overall, I am pretty happy with it because it beats the CD. Snakes still beats Clockwork for the overall sound. I think I was a little hard on the wall of sound rant above although there are certainly songs where there is too mch going on.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  24. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think this is key. It didn't stick with me at first, but then just recently, I listened to it again. A bunch of times. I really like it! But I think the poor CD mastering can get in the way of people actually appreciating the music itself.

Scope J likes this.
  25. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I really don't think that matters at all.......unless you only listen to music on one system and the CD is unbearable to listen to.......for example I really rate last years Faith No More album but it's painful on a big system due to compression on a portable player it's fine....the music gets through....I listened to CA plenty on my phone and iPod the reality is it's a pretty tough album to love....not a disaster but pretty uneven to my ears and certainly not up with their greatest recordings....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.