Rush - Counterparts album released 25 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member Thread Starter

On this date , October 19, 1993 Rush released the album Counterparts. IMO a great terrific return to form to their hard rock roots. I remember hearing Stick It Out on the radio before the albums release and being really excited that Alex was back with a vengeance. I’m sure the grunge era had a bit of rubbing off on them. I do also remember being a bit upset that the album didn’t hit number one on the billboard charts due to Pearl Jam’s VS. album being released on the same day. But number 2 isn’t to shabby either. It’s their highest charting album. Pearl Jam just happened to be one of the biggest bands of that time and I’m sure many people were anticipating their second album.

What are some of your thoughts and memories of this album?

2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I remember being happy that it had a harder rock sound than any of their release in almost a decade, and I saw them on that tour.

I haven't really listened to it since then, to be honest. I was happy for the return of the guitars but it just didn't stick with me.

Mark J likes this.
  3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I remember Stick It Out played on MTV. This was the first time I ever saw the band.

4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

One of the first Rush albums I was able to get on the morning of release from a record store (HMV Leeds to be precise). After Presto and Roll The Bones, which showed promising signs of Alex Lifeson returning to prominence, Counterparts was guitar heavy in a good way. Songwriting wise.... not so great IMHO. The first 5 tracks and Leave That Thing Alone are the only ones i'd listen to now; the other 5 haven't stood the test of time for me. Shame, really, as I like all of the tracks on the previous two albums, but from Counterparts to Snakes and Arrows inclusive every album had a few forgettable tracks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

One of my favorite albums and the first Rush album I bought right when it came out. I became a fan when Roll The Bones was released.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  6. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

That was basically my take. I was glad the guitars were back but I felt like the songs just weren't there. I felt that way about the songs since Hold Your Fire, TBH.

7. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

That big fat, crunchy guitar after the thin sounding Roll the Bones. Some great songs on this album: "Between Sun and Moon", "Double Agent", "Animate"........even a bit of country music influence in "Cold Fire".

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This was the first Rush album since I got into them in the mid-80s that I did not buy upon release. I stopped paying attention until Snakes and Arrows actually. Which is a shame, as I really like this album now. I did not get my own copy until Audio Fidelity released it.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I also have to say Neil really shines on this album. He simplfies his drumming a bit adding more feel yet he still drums like a monster on it.
    Obviously Alex shines as well.

It's too bad Test For Echo fails to match how great Counterparts is.

10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Never liked Tai Shan, but I liked the rest of HYF and could happily listen to all of the albums bar that one track from 2112-Roll The Bones from start to finish without wanting to skip tracks. Counterparts-Snakes all have forgettable songs on them and I never seem able to play the whole album. I can happily play Clockwork Angels from start to finish, though the mastering is a bit vicious for my ears.

DiabloG and davers like this.
  11. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Counterparts is easily my favorite post-Moving Pictures Rush album. Love it. So glad the guitars came back and I guess I love the songwriting more than most in this thread so far. It's a shame that Test for Echo followed, which is one of my least favorite Rush albums.

Thorpy likes this.
  12. The last good sounding Rush record. I somehow missed buying it when it came out.

Both the original CD and the RM sounded pretty good but were not all that great in the DR department (9-10), but the SACD and the CD layer of the CD is much more dynamic (12-13). There was a deal a few years ago on the SACD from Amazon UK.....$12 or something ridiculously cheap. I grabbed it while I could.

enro99 and boboquisp like this.
  13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

The last Rush album that would ever get airplay. At least in my area. Everything after doesn't exist as far as radio is concerned. (And nowadays, hearing anything newer that Grace Under Pressure is amazing.)

Edit: I forgot that "Summertime Blues" from Feedback did get airplay. My bad.

14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hard to believe it's been 25 years. I was living in Moscow Russia at the time of its release....but immediately bought the cd when I returned to the States in the summer of 94.

15. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Great Songs:
    Animate
    Nobody's Hero
    Double Agent
    Cold Fire
    Everyday Glory

Ugh:
    Stick It Out
    Alien Shore
    Between Sun & Moon
    Speed Of Love

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

My station played "Test For Echo" a lot when it came out. That was my intro to 'new' Rush at age 15. Probably the last year rock radio was listenable.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  17. ModernDayWarrior

Test For Exho was a bit of a letdown for me as well. I enjoyed it when it was first released but it hasn’t aged well with me. I hardly ever reach for it anymore whereas I reach for Counterparts fairly often.

I also think Counterparts is the last great sounding Rush album. I loved the production on it. After this album they started layering their albums with to many overdubs and it tended to congest their albums.

18. ModernDayWarrior

19. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I too still remember hearing “Stick it Out” on the radio for the first time.
    When I heard the opening riff, I was quite pleased!
    That tour was awesome.

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

An excellent hard rock album, and yea the return of Alex to the front was a joy! Even Neil's drumming was much harder and aggressive.....I played that CD almost daily.

George Co-Stanza and Elliottmarx like this.
  21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Listening to Kevin Gray's SACD of this right now. Very fine disc, and a great Rush album (well, they are all great to me!) :tiphat:
    Got to see this tour with Primus opening, the last Rush tour with an opening act.

22. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Terrific album. The night before it was released there was a 90 minute syndicated radio show played on classic rock stations. It featured a history of the band, contemporary interviews and previews of the songs. It was thrilling to hear the band talking about the album. Classic rock radio still felt like a community, one in which I was a proud member.

Nobody's Hero had a pro-LGBT narrative which I found to be very encouraging. It was kind of shocking actually. Classic rock overall had been spookily quiet through the AIDS era - though pop stars admirably spoke out. That one verse in Nobody's Hero was bold and courageous - and though the message is largely dated now - I remain proud that one of my alltime favorite bands had something to say.

The tour was glorious. This was an incredible time for intelligent, compassionate hard rock.

I very much love Counterparts.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  23. Because I didn't have a stereo system at the time, I purchased this on cassette.

I remember sitting in the driver's seat of my 1964 Buick Riviera, white with a burgundy interior. Windows rolled up and leaning back, feeling very Canadian at the time (if you catch my drift).

It hit me with power!

I really dug it. I still do. :)

Frozensoda and Elliottmarx like this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I like this album a lot more now than when I heard it for the first time, probably in the late 90's/early 2000's when I started getting all the Rush albums.

25. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

"Presto" was really The Return of Lerxst. Counterparts was The Continued Return of Lerxst. Both were excellent albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.