Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

The hi-rez download of Fly By Night is a new master. Full dynamics and sounds great. My vinyl copy is coming today.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

These new masters are supposedly done by Andy Van Dette, too, right? I wonder why the obviously different approach. Not that I don't appreciate it.

3. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Listening to Fly by Night right now.
    I've got 2 GK copies and this will be my go to copy. By-Tor was amazing. Has made me a Rush fan all over again.
    I've been waiting a long time for these to be reissued and they have been done right. No quality issues at all. Top notch pressing.

4. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased the new HD version and compared it to the older one?

5. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I will be later today.

6. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

7. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I have a GK 2112, but sounds awful...you can see stuff within the vinyl. Bad copy.

My 3 LP set of Archives sounds god to my ears, though.

9. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

What resolution is the download voucher for on the Blu Ray?

oneway23 likes this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

First album was reissued last year anyway.

11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

The first album was released vinyl only, I believe, No new hi-res audio transfer for that one.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh ok, I was thinking of the vinyl. But I wouldn't be surprised if it just shows up at sometime.

13. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

mp3s, 320 likely

14. fredblue

5.1 & Stereo Mastered By
    Andy VanDette @Masterdisk, NY

15. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

would like to know for sure from someone who has it. Also if it's a Hi Rez download, is it the new mastering or the mastering from Sectors sets

16. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Well, bought FBN 24/192 from HDtracks and has just finished the whole thing. It's so much better than the 24/96 sector version. Natural dynamics and the "right" tonal darkness that I remember from my vinyl days. Warm, expressive and (maybe just a tiny bit too) bassy. Love it! Definitely my new goto version.

17. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Assuming they do a decent job, I will likley get a few just to take the load off of my originals. I seriously doubt they could top the RLs out there if this is the usual digital/RUSH to cash in.

18. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks for that info. Same as the Sector set, then?
    Not sure why he'd do a brand new re-master only a year after the first one.

fredblue likes this.
  19. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I just tried it with my code, which didn't work for some reason.

I can tell you that the download page said mp3s and other "PureAudio" downloads have been 320kbps. The Blu-ray itself replicates the 5.1 mix from the Sector box and I will bet that 99.9% likely that the stereo mix on the BD and the mp3 downloads are the stereo Sector mix as well.

When I get the mp3 mix downloaded eventually, I'll let you know.

Edit: and as someone upthread points out, the BD credits do say it's mastered by Andy DeVanDette at Masterdisk, NY

20. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

When/why would Andy VanDette have done a fresh master, considering the last one was just done in 2013?

21. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

It was reported that the 320kbps download that is included with the vinyl is vinyl sourced, so it will be interesting to know if it's the same download for the Blu Ray. If it is, guess I have to get my credit card out and purchase via HDTRACKS. Seems kind of crappy that they would issue a new hi rez download master, but include the old one on the Blu, especially the stereo mix and the download part.

fredblue likes this.
  22. fredblue

You're welcome :)

More than likely the same as the Sector set I should imagine but I'm afraid I don't know the details on those boxes, as I uncharacteristically held off getting the Sector sets day & date and by the time I went shopping for them there'd been all this hoopla about glitches on CDs, underwhelming 5.1's, packaging issues, etc so I threw in the towel and didn't get them at all..!

anyway, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the quality of this Rush campaign in the months to come and no doubt picking a few things up, including the remaining two Blu-ray's on the horizon.

oneway23 likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

where has been the cheapest place to get this ?

24. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Just checked the price on that and $25 seems rather pricy for a digital download even if it is HD, is that normal for HDtracks pricing? That's a couple of dollars more than the vinyl, where at least you're getting a vinyl record and awesome packaging. Still might try HDtracks for Caress of Steel next month, since I already have a vinyl copy of it even if it kind of sucks, at least it's cool to look at.

25. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Agree. My guess it's the same person(s) that did the vinyl mastering work. Very different approach when it comes to compression. And EQ too. Just listened to In The End from the VanDette remaster (24/96) and it sounds pretty bad in comparison. The higher frequencies aren't as clean and suffers from those typical digital compression artefacts. And the whole thing sounds more flat. And LOUD.

HDtracks has a 15 % discount for a few days. Use HDJAN27. Prostudiomasters probably has something similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.