Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

someone on the hdtracks thread posted that the hirez versions are new masters and NOT the same as the ones that have been available. HDTRACKS will have Fly By Night tomorrow.

rcsrich likes this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

For serious? Looks like I may have an HDTracks purchase in my future! There just isn't a great original digital version of FBN IMHO- this would be a great alternative if it is indeed not squashed dynamically....

3. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

That's what is being said. I'll believe it when I hear it tomorrow.

oneway23 and rcsrich like this.
  4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

looking forward to a shootout with the GK.

kannibal likes this.
  5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Will they also have the new mastering of the S/T starting on Tuesday? Seems odd they'd have FBN but not the S/T...

oneway23 likes this.
  6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

FBN is on its way and should be in my hands by this weekend. I've been somewhat disappointed with the versions of this title on CD (the dull WG Atomic is the best of a sub-par lot), but these reviews are giving me hope that I'll hear the best version of FBN yet.

7. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Got my vinyl copy! :)

The hype sticker says:

200g
    AUDIOPHILE VINYL
    DIGITAL DOWNLOAD CARD
    320kbps Vinyl-Ripped
    AAC MP4s
    Direct Metal Mastering (logo)
    Download offer expires
    December 31, 2016

jon9091 and Scooter59 like this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Wish this was available as a hybrid SACD rather than blu-ray, but I'm intrigued. A little. I'm hesitant to get sucked back into buying the Rush catalog yet again.

9. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Will the HDTRACKS be vinyl sourced as well then?

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

So what is the verdict of the lp sound quality?

11. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

12. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

13. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I don't know if that's the case or if those just go with the vinyl... sorry if that was misleading.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Can't wait to have this in my hands and on my TT tomorrow.

Clanceman likes this.
  15. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

I did a quick shootout with my very clean white label promo GK pressing and the new vinyl. I just listened to Anthem.
    The new version is very stunningly close to the GK! My first impression is that the GK is ever so slightly more round in the lows and mushy in the highs, and the 2015 is just a slight bit more defined, but the differences are very minute!
    The new vinyl is perfectly flat and has almost no surface noise - as you would expect from QRP.

The disc is in a QRP type anti-static sleeve and the original inner sleeve with NP's handwritten lyrics and photos of Broon and the 3 man road crew is reproduced as a separate two sided insert - tinted blue as was the original inner sleeve.

This was done correctly - and thank you to whoever called the shots here! :)
    So much of this band's output over the past 13 years has been horrible sonically and that is crying shame.

This was done right - Extremely impressive!!!

ytserush, Guss2, Ben Adams and 2 others like this.
  16. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Not only is it a new master, but By-Tor is about 40 seconds longer (tinkly bells, no riffy stuff).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Ben Adams likes this.
  17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Oh man, can't wait for my copy to arrive.

And boy am I looking forward to Hemispheres :)

18. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

A new Fly By Night is up at HDtracks as well. In both 24/96 and 24/192. Someone in another thread posted DR values that are close to the old Atomic CD:s.

It annoys me that they lured me to buy all the 24/96 Sector albums with the main selling point being the mastering work by that Andy V guy. I never felt they were done right. Too compressed. And now a couple of years later they release the same albums again... Well, since it's Rush I will at least try out FBN. If it feels like they finally got it right I'll have no choice but to buy the catalouge again...

rcsrich likes this.
  19. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Are there separate US & EU pressings for these releases?

20. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Long time lurker - first post!

Just downloaded FBN from HDTracks. I'll give a full report hopefully tonight.

Cannot wait for the rest of the catalog! Hope they do Hemispheres and CoS justice!

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Sounds like a remix?

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Doubt it (although they do have multitracks at hand, so...). Probably just left the tape rolling longer and faded out the bells later. I assume this new hi-res master was made from the original tapes alongside the vinyl cut. I'm hoping it's the same used on the blu-ray, if true.

23. asat

asat Member

Looks quite like it.
    My album is still unopened but the sticker reads "180g vinyl including MP3 download.
    Not 200g and AAC download

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes but does it have the bells in the run-out groove?

25. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Picked up my copy yesterday (EU). Perfect surfaces except for numerous clicks and pops during Rivendell (of course!). However, the lp was very dusty and covered in little paper shards/swarf when I removed it from the sleeve so be very careful taking the lp out first time folks. I should have run it through my RCM before play but it was a little late and it`s a noisy git at that hour. After a thorough inspection I could not see any damage whatsoever on the groove so I reckon (hope) it`s just caked in dirt that will clean up ok. As for the sound...superb. I have a mint GK that I have to compare with but even without doing so I can highly recommend this reissue. It seems that someone in the Rush camp is on the ball managing these releases so it bodes well for the rest of the series :). There is no locked groove on my EU copy but I do like that the bells keep going for a long time after By-Tor. I was picturing 23 year old Neil tinkling away on the bell tree deep in concentration creating the outro atmosphere. Brilliant!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.