Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Where were these pressed .....GZ? That doesn't bode well .

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

You guys are killing me.

Actually, I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like my plan to only purchase the releases I still need decent vinyl pressing of just went out the window. Now I see me purchasing the whole shootin' match :)

Would love to hear opinions on the HdTracks and how it differs from the Sectors. Is the consensus the HdTracks is the same audio as the Blu Ray??

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It does for those of us who bought the Stones boxes. I've had worse pressings from RTI, Pallas and Optimal.

4. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

No idea where they were pressed. I`ll check the run out later. As I said, apart from needing a good clean to sort out the Rivendell issue the vinyl is perfectly flat, quiet and centred. The sound quality is excellent but I agree that it is a total crapshoot buying vinyl these days.

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

So are all of the albums getting new HDTracks masters or is it just FBN?
    FWIW, I've purchased the FBN vinyl on eBay and I'm expecting to get it this weekend. I already own the GK pressing, but I couldn't resist this reissue as an avid Rush fan.

johnny q likes this.
  6. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Niether do I. I think it sounds fabulous.

bodicus likes this.
  7. Is the hi res download from acoustic sounds the new mastering and is it available in Canada. If not, what sites offer downloads to Canada? thanks.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Useful link for these questions: http://www.findhdmusic.com/album/fly-by-night-rush/2521

Seems Acoustic Sounds is restricted to the USA? In that case Qobuz or Highresaudio might work.

9. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

Fly By Night from Sector 1 (downloaded 24-bit/96 kHz) seems louder and bassier with a narrower soundstage. Here're the useful bits graphically:
    [​IMG]

The 2015 Mercury Fly By Night is quieter and more neutral with a wider soundstage. Here're the useful bits:
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer, rcsrich and johnny q like this.
  10. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

It will be available on www.prostudiomasters.com shortly. Canadian site.

It's showing up but not yet available for download, I assume the site owner is waiting for media. All the rest of the Rush stuff is there no reason for this one to be held back.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  11. toddbooster

toddbooster Forum Resident

I know I know, copyright, licensing, American record companies etc., but it's nothing short of annoying that I can't buy a high res download version of a Rush album in Canada. Just sayin'.

Starwanderer, longaway and rcsrich like this.

12. Thanks. Seems the general consensus is Canada cannot download hi res from any site? Progress!

13. thanks. so, it must be the new mastering if it's not up yet.

14. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

15. toddbooster

toddbooster Forum Resident

Oh, well there you go. Must have posted at the same time. I had just checked and got the message that "regrettably this album is not available at this time" or whatever.

16. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

If you search for Rush you will see the new mastering, it has 2015 in fine print at the bottom of the track list. Not yet available for download, must be waiting for the media. All the other Rush stuff is available so no reason for this one not to be.

17. Gangrel

Gangrel Well-Known Member

We can get some stuff of HDTracks, and AcousticSounds actually has a button on the side for "Hi Rez audio available in Canada" which filters in the stuff we are allowed to download.

But yes, it makes this an annoying hobby when there's stuff we can't obtain legally because of whatever rules there are behind the scenes!

Starwanderer and violetvinyl like this.
  18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Can somebody answer this question please?

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I wonder if there's a difference between the DVD-A in the Sectors box and this new Blu Ray? If anyone can do a comparison it would be much appreciated.

20. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

They are releasing an album every month in 2015. In chronological order.

Excluding the first album. It's only Peart stuff.

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

So no extra tracks form this era for the Bluray? Seems a waste of digital space, however gives me a reason to pick it up on vinyl if the source was analog.

22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I agree. Wish they would release a live show from each album era as a bonus. I know there's an fm broadcast from the Fly By Night tour on bootleg. Surely they could have cleaned that up or have something else in the vault.

23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah the 2112 was really disappointing for extra tracks...they put the bonus live tracks on the CD not the Bluray. BUT they did include some extra stuff even if it was only three songs. I think Rush really deserves a trophy for best band to pi$$ off fans by releasing poor digital content award....

24. Derek Blakley

Derek Blakley Forum Resident

I need to go back and review my FBN, AFTK & Signals DVD-a's to see if I want to re-buy on BR-A. I don't remember being blown away by any of them..

When it comes to the stereo versions, I've been happy with the gold/SACD that AF has been putting out. I'm leaning towards holding out for more of those unless a whole lot of forum peeps start calling the new hi-res digital releases THE releases to go for.

oneway23 likes this.
  25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I wasn't particularly stunned by the SACD Hemispheres release. My $1 record bin copy was actually still more enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.