Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

That's a nice thought, my concern is that they are obviously not part of the Mercury release program, although HDT do seem to be on top of Atlantic releases, not sure how proactive their customer services are if I were to ask.

2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

RTB has a unique sound. The words I would use are snappy and crackly. You either dig it or find it lacking. I like it, but can easily see how other people don't. I agree this post......a full remix is all you could really do if you were one of these people who have an inherent issue with it, even if that represents changing the philosophy of the original mix.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

its all pops and clicksssssssssssssssssssssssssss get the old cds boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

4. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Any rumors on Rush continuing the Remasters past December yet?
    I'm not done here - I need the whole catalog in hi-res remastered goodness.

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

6. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

It is, unfortunately, a mess IMO.

johnny q likes this.
  7. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I agree!

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

I have refrained from replying to your posts here in this thread, but enough is enough already - please spare us this vitriol you continue to spew. We get it....you are "Mr Bad Luck" all your Rush pressings are full of pops and clicks and God knows what else. You said it once, you said it 1000 times - please give us a break. These type of comments got old 5 pages ago.

9. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

I wonder if Everyday Glory has these variations because IIRC it was recorded in analog.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, all the Counterparts album was recorded, mixed and printed analog, surprisingly.

JediJoker, johnny q and Ambassador like this.
  11. CheezCache

CheezCache Forum Resident

That is correct, my mistake.

Cool, thanks. I'll try to get some samples up either tonight or tomorrow.

12. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

I'm surprised - I only heard this Geddy quote in regards to Everyday Glory before:

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I was basing my comment on the frequency response above the early digital limit of 22kHz of all songs on the Audio Fidelity SACD.

Ambassador likes this.
  14. CheezCache

I'm confused: Are you saying that Counterparts was or was not all-analog?

I just looked at spectrograms of the all the songs on album from the 24/96 The Studio Albums set and they all (including Everyday Glory) have a pretty clear cut off somewhere between 20k and 25k, with only noise and a few odd peaks above that. Based on that, I would put my money on a digital mix printed to tape. That sounds like what Geddy probably meant in the quote above. I think he has been known to have some slight technical misconceptions when it comes to recording/mixing/mastering technology.

Ambassador likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have just checked and the AF SACD is different in that matter; while there indeed seems to be a 48kHz digital step somewhere (or a 26kHz low-pass filter perhaps), there is more than tape noise and a few odd peaks above 24kHz. I'm not talking about the ultrasonic noise cloud of DSD. Most transients peak above. It wouldn't be just a digital mix printed to tape, as far as the SACD is concerned. My *guess* is some of the instruments (drums?) were recorded analog, with others parts recorded in 48kHz digital, and everything then mixed and printed analog.
    A digital mix just printed to tape would be clear cut (see the 2015 remasters of the 80s albums).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Ambassador likes this.
  16. CheezCache

That's very interesting Ambassador. I wonder why the SACD would have more high frequency response than Andy VanDette's version. Different sources perhaps? I wonder if the 2015 has the same high end response as the SACD. I really wish we had some more information on these recordings, like the recording, mixing and mastering engineers' notes.

Plan9 likes this.
  17. CheezCache

Sorry, I was responding to Plan9, not Ambassador. I didn't sleep well last night, and it's just been one of those days today.

JulesRules and Plan9 like this.
  18. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Sorry you feel that way, I love all these new on Vinyl so far, just got Presto today.

Admittedly, I do like the digital downloads of Presto and Roll the Bones a little bit better than the actual vinyl after all, but its nice to have them, and if getting the downloads with the Vinyl is the only way, hooray! since I will never pay for pure digital only downloads anyway.

now for Counterparts and TFE- Vinyl all the way!!

johnny q likes this.
  19. randian

randian Forum Resident

Starting with Geddy's terribly strained voice. They were playing R40 for free on Sirius XM and he sounded horrible.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

21. soka

soka Forum Resident

Listened to the new HYF yesterday and again this morning. For the first time ever, I can hear it to the end without any fatigue setting in. Finally done right!:goodie:
    Could it be Magees best mastering job in this series hitherto..?

22. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

My version of the Counterparts download is missing Neil's count off into Animate. Anyone else notice this? Not sure if the LP is also missing it - haven't listened to it yet.

I don't know if this is due to a different mix or master tape being sent to Abbey Road for the remaster, or if Sean Magee editing it out, thinking it was not supposed to be there. This to me is a bigger problem than the extra few seconds silence in Hemispheres that some people were complaining about. I love the remaster otherwise. Maybe I'll create my own version, editing Neil's count off from a different version onto the remaster...

JPagan likes this.
  23. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

My theory has always been that these supposed masters are hand picked from a bunch of variations and shipped to the remasterer.

Roll the Bones.

My other plausable theory is that most of the later Rush Albums are being listened to someone, and that someone then tweaks the Eq in an odd way, and then thats the one thats released.

That explains Roll the Bones, they just straight lined diagonaled bass down, treble up. (Diver Down)

Probably Lerxst, the jokester is my good guess.

24. Everything on Sirius XM sounds terrible to me, like they're streaming less than 8kbps per channel MP3.

oneway23, johnny q and JediJoker like this.
  25. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Geddy hasn't sounded good since Snakes & Arrows. I'm really glad I got to see them on that tour, fledgling fan that I was, because I would not be able to enjoy a performance now. The R40 clips on YouTube confirm this. I have no interest in any new live Rush releases culled from performances from 2008 or later, unless and until Geddy's voice improves, which seems quite unlikely at this point. Frankly, given how disappointing I found Clockwork Angels, I'm hoping they'll hang things up for good soon.