Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's currently available at 4 reputable online stores (Bullmoose, elusive disc, acoustic sounds and soundstage direct).

Music Direct, another reputable store, lists it as "Awaiting Repress."

There are more choices than Amazon.

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

They should have brought back Terry Brown 20 years ago! Still love the new stuff but just sayin'!

3. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

thanks guy...

4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm no expert but I like how the spinclean is like a ritual and if you follow the steps it's pretty hard to hurt the vinyl. I'm afraid to do anything to the records. But this seems safe and effective.

Sorry to hijack here. One interesting thing is I just cleaned all my vintage Rush this weekend. I had grabbed all the reissues last year but after listening to the cleaned vintage ones, that may not have been the best use of funds. I had an extra Grace Under Pressure that had nasty mold or something all over it and now it's shiny. Caress of Steel was in bad shape too and now looks and sounds pretty darn minty to me. And the RL MP mentioned above. My Rush records were nasty!

Jam757 likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The Spin Clean sounds exciting! Most of my stuff is is really great shape in the EX-NM range although I do have some VG-VG+ ones that would probably benefit a lot from a more thorough cleaning. My Pink Floyd More album is pretty crackly and my Permanent Waves too in a few places, probably quite a few others as well. I finally broke down and ordered the vinyl for the Rush (1st album) Box set and 2112. Can't wait to hear them! Next up will be Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, and maybe All The Worlds A Stage.

ODShowtime likes this.
  6. I think I'll whip out my spin clean this weekend. Haven't used it in years but now I am motivated!

7. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

[QUOTE Slightly off topic, but I spun my NM German pressing of Presto and it is like hearing the album for the first time. Sounds absolutely fantastic, full rich and warm with most of the "thinness" of the production removed. If you have not heard this on vinyl I strongly urge you to do so because it annihilates the CD. I was truly blown away upon first listen to the vinyl. Highly underrated album too![/QUOTE]
    Agreed. I stumbled upon a German vinyl pressing of Presto a couple of weeks before the new re-issue came out.
    Hadn't played the cd that much but the vinyl gave me a brand new insight into the album, especially the quality of the songwriting. Became my biggest rediscovery of the Rush output.
    The vinyl remaster is very good as well but I can't understand why they didn't decide to make it a double vinyl because of the length of the sides. A missed opportunity but alas it's good that it became more widely available on vinyl.

8. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

Amen that!

9. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Power
    Power Windows guy hanging out the window, of course!

10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Anyone one have the new Exit Stage Left vinyl? I read a review on Amazon that stated that possibly the original tapes were damaged and there is a defect on Boones Bane. Not sure if this is the case. I have a nice original copy but might pick this up if it sounds fantastic.

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I just searched this thread for the word "bane" and nobody is reporting anything of the sort. Some folks had skips during that song, but that's it.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It sounds to me like a case of a bad batch of records, nothing more.

13. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

My spin clean rocks!!

Jam757, ODShowtime and Complier like this.
  14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I have been reading through this thread for information about whether or not I should order these reissues from Amazon in the U.S. or look for U.K. Pressings? It seems the U.S. pressings are excellent for most of these but I wanted to ask again to make sure. I normally order directly from Amazon because if there is a problem their customer service is great. I noticed on All The Worlds A Stage vinyl other sellers are offering it for around $33 invluding shipping while Amazon is $40 plus tax. A few people mentioned inferior pressing qualities on this one. It is confusing because some previous pressings like Nirvana Nevermind it was important to get the U.K. versions. I also opted to order Dark Side Of The Moon from the U.K. as there were many defects on the U.S. release.

15. I recently got my European pressing of Hold Your Fire and I'm very pleased with it.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Since Sean has done a great job with all these releases, why NOT have him take a crack at Vapor Trails? Whether he worked from the original mix or the remix, he could probably improve it.

JulesRules, TBone61 and Stuart S like this.
  17. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Yes, but with the original mix. In Sean we trust!

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

While we are wishing, he should also do Clockwork Angels. No excuses, just do it! I was actually suprised to find out they were leaving them out.

JulesRules, DiabloG and TBone61 like this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree completely. I'm thrilled he did recent stuff like Feedback and S&A, as I didn't expect that when this re-issue series started. But yeah, why not have him improve the last two he hasn't touched?

JulesRules likes this.
  20. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Got Counterparts today as it finally dropped under my limit of £25 on amazon. Super sound on it. I thought it might have been slightly off-centre but think it's just the label not on properly. There are some real dodgy guitar sounds on this that almost sound a bit 'warbly' (Intro to Cut To The Chase for example). I compared it to the SACD and although quite close the LP does edge it (for me it's more detailed). Everyday Glory sounds a bit quiet/weak compared to the rest of the album but I think something was already mentioned about that earlier in the thread (something to do with the actual recording).

Now just waiting for S&A to go down in price (not paying £40!).

Stuart S likes this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Considering how bad S&A sounded on the DVD (mvi) I was majorly suprised how well the remaster turned out. To quote another member here "In Sean We Trust!" I was certainly skeptical. Glad I was wrong...

JulesRules and David Bostock like this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, so far I have only received Counterparts, Test For Echo, Snakes, and Vapor Trails and I have been very pleased with all of those. I will soon have 2112 and Rush as well.

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Agree Counterparts sounds fantastic, great job on the vinyl on that one and Test For Echo as well. In my mind these were the last two Rush albums with above average or excellent production. Things started to get compressed and muddy after this...

Opeth and Grohlfan like this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

So you didn't like S&A in this series?

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I would say I don't love the overall mastering on Sankes And Arrows and think it would be well served to do a complete remix as was done to Vapor Trails. I do like the vinyl and think it is absolutely the best this album will sound at the present time. I do not hold out much hope for a re-mix of Snakes or Clockwork. I think the one thing on both Snakes and Clockwork that I do not like as much is the over layered sound. If you listen to an album like Hemispheres that is the best Rush sound for me, straightforward, crisp, and well defined. A Terry Brown masterpiece.