Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. saundr00

saundr00 Well-Known Member

Cool. Where did you see this?

rcsrich likes this.
  2. JediJoker7169

JediJoker7169 Forum Resident

For the lossy vinyl rips...

3. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski New Member

Just ordered Grace Under Pressure and wondered what to expect with the downloads so I pulled out the old download cards/stickers from Hemispheres, Signals, etc. and went to the site listed to see if it was even still active. Not only was the site still there, the fine print below the online form now says offer good through 12/31/18. :)

And yes, this is for the 320k MP4s. Still thought it might be helpful to someone.

JediJoker7169 likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Urrgh...

JediJoker7169 likes this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

I was listening to the Counterparts hi-rez version and comparing it with the Audio Fidelity version - it is hard to choose which I enjoy more! The AF version is a bit more clear to my ears however the hi-rez is very crankable and smooth sounding in my opinion. Unlike the original CD and the Rush Remasters version, both of these are very natural sounding and very pleasant to listen to.

I said this before in this thread but it just is so damn nice to see these recordings get their justice in terms of remastering - after the Rush Remasters and the Sector versions I pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that the original issued CDs were as good as it was going to get - in 2017 that is thankfully not the case!

Now if only Clockwork Angels was remastered by Mr. Magee ;)

6. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Active Member

Can anybody check to see if the Atlantic-era downloads are still available? I'd love to purchase all of them, but unless the offer was extended, it expired on December 31, 2016.

7. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski New Member

The site is still active but unlike the Mercury releases, there's no fine print mentioning the expiration date so without a code to try, I don't know if the downloads actually work. So, maybe? :shrug:

8. JediJoker7169

Yes, please! His work on Snakes & Arrows has improved that record immensely.

Plan9 likes this.
  9. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Active Member

Hmm...good to know. I thought that I had heard that the downloads expired on 12/31/2016.

If anybody else has a code to try and wants to report here, I would be grateful.

10. JediJoker7169

The fine print is on the download cards themselves, not on the website.

11. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Quite difficult version to find this one (05 +), it requires a bit of hunting...
    Would that be a large improvement over the Hi-res remaster, or just minor? Thanks

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Minor I'd say. The 2015 remaster is great, as well as the MFSL.

albertop likes this.
  13. Todd68

Todd68 Active Member

I have the first and second Canadian vinyl pressing of AFTK in great condition. I honestly can't imagine a reissue sounding any better than these. I'm always on the look out for Rush stuff. I was thinking about checking out some of the newer pressings but it appears there are problems. I only need Moving Pictures anyways. Maybe I'll stick to the originals.

14. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Member

I have listened to the 2015 hi res versions of Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings. Thought they were EXCELLENT, except for Fly By Night. I am absolutely convinced that Geddy's vocal is panned to the left, and something just doesn't seem right with that one. It is very obvious and grating on headphones, especially after a/b comparison with another version. I read about 70 pages of this thread haha, but just can't read it all. Can somebody update me as to whether or not the Fly By Night version was ever addressed by the record company? Thanks!

15. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Forum Resident

I would stick to the original of AFTK as the title track doesn't have an audible tape drop out (which is on both high res versions and vinyl)...ruins the new version for me. The hologram on 2112 is fun and many of the titles sound very good. A great reissue series overall.

JediJoker7169 and Todd68 like this.
  16. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Member

Listen to this on headphones vs the 2015 HD Fly By Night. It is so obvious there is a problem with the panning on the new version. Has this been addressed at all?

17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Nice reminder to pull out my white label for a listen. Don't do that enough.

I don't have the 2015 yet, but something like that would seem obvious to me. There's more panning on that record than most Rush albums.

18. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Member

Yes, it is obvious on headphones and even more clear when you do an a/b comparison.

19. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The question I have is this: Does the master tape have this panning issue, and the vinyl cutting master tape (EQ-ed and compressed for vinyl) compensate?

20. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey New Member

I don't know about the panning issue on FBN, but as good as the Magee version is, it's still congested compared to the GK needledrop floating around on the net.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  21. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey New Member

Yes, there are very noticeable tape drop-outs on the title track of the new AFTK

I haven't noticed this problem in any of the other releases however.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  22. Brian9229

Brian9229 Active Member

I recently received the A Farewell to Kings 5.1 Blu-ray. Although, I always prefer a stereo mix, I was very interested in hearing the surround mix.(if for no other reason, for just ****s n giggles, I love this album)But, what in the name of Rush is up with the master they used? The 5.1 mix is not only weak and frail sounding, I'd swear there were dropouts, and the bass was overkill. Ive only had one good listen to the 5.1 mix so far though. It really sounded just, not good. The stereo mix is much better though. I almost can't believe this mix was actually released. I replayed the first track once it finished the first time around, because I honestly couldn't quite believe what I heard. I do also own the Signals and FBN 5.1 blus as well, but have only listened to the stereo mixes so far. It just might stay that way, we'll see.

23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Forum Resident

They definitely screwed up the Surround opportunity of those discs. They should have gotten Steven Wilson from the get go.

JediJoker7169 and Brian9229 like this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 5.1 mix for Moving Picture is better, although not on the Steven Wilson-level of surround remixes...

makedatmusic and Brian9229 like this.
  25. Brian9229

Brian9229 Active Member

Amen!