Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven Wake me when Ateix has something exciting 4 sale

Oh hey, that's right! I totally forgot that you managed record shops! [​IMG]

Sorry man, that COMPLETELY slipped my feeble mind... OOOOH... I would have really liked to hear that Nautilus Terrapin Station man, wow! BUT... see... this is one of the cases I was kind of talking about. Instead of being a total snob (only a teenie weenie one... [​IMG] ) No, seriously... The original and the Analog Productions pressing that I just got are SO bloody close, there's absolutely NO reason for anyone to get all worked up about how one is so much 'better' than the other...

Hey, I'm more 'nobody' than you Ben... It wasn't until I started reading at this site regularly a few months ago that I actually started pulling my head out of my @.. and finally started learning something! o_O

But, like I said in my long-winded last post, if someone asks about something fairly specific that I happen to either have a definite thought about, or have learned something that I feel is important and that might help them, I just don't quite feel right generalizing and telling them that either all of the reissues of someone are 'Great' or all of them are awful and to 'get the originals' Just seems that it is far more helpful to someone maybe to try to give them as much information and angles as possible. I know that is exactly what I would want...

Keep up the good work Ben! I'm still learning from you! [​IMG]

Tojo likes this.
  2. Tojo

Tojo Active Member

I do have every Rush LP in various original pressings but I was so happy with the recent 2112 vinyl reissue that I thought it might be a good idea to buy at least a few of the others as well.

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I have early pressings of nearly every Rush LP (up through Roll The Bones). Except for Show of Hands, which I don't really like much anyway, I ended up buying every reissue. I've kept all my early pressings as well, though I did find the new version of Presto to be so much better that I sold my US Atlantic pressing. On the other hand, I'm never going to sell my RL-cut EU pressing of Moving Pictures. It sounds perfect to me. But the new one is really, really good too.

Are the new ones better? I think it's a matter of taste. That's why I've held onto my early pressings. But for well-done, quiet pressings, you can't beat the new ones. If you don't want to go down the rabbit hole and start searching for early pressings, you can get these new versions and enjoy the music.

4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Fly By Night was my first entry into their re-issues. DAMN does it sound great right from the needle drop on 'Anthem'. I wish all my new/ sealed purchases sounded this good. No IGD, no pops, just pure.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly - what more can you really ask from a reissue?

6. latheofheaven

Very nice post. FWIW, that sounds very balanced to me! :)

I think that I should have added (yeah, right, to my already LONG-winded post... [​IMG]) that even though I was trying to be thorough and helpful, I think that OVERALL by just about all of the comments here, you really can't go WRONG with these new reissues. From the posts here, none of them seemed to come across as really negative in any way. Just would depend, again, on a persons preference or particularness. But, yes, basically as Ben said in the beginning (*sigh... when WILL I learn to keep my 'mouth' shut... [​IMG]) overall, you pretty much can't really go wrong with these new reissues...

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Aw man, don't be hard on yourself. Your enthusiasm is great.

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

Thanks Bro! Just trying my best to return the favour many of you here have shown me... :tiphat:

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Rush band has THE best fans...

10. Frost15

Frost15 Active Member

I just gave a listen to three versions of Moving Pictures (Mercury CD Matrix #03, MFSL and 2015 Hi-Res) and as other forum dwellers posted this is a naturally good sounding album so it was a difficult choice, but I'm definitely going to say the Magee is the winner by a really small margin... There is something about the cymbals in the Hi-Res version that makes it more likable to these ears...

johnny q likes this.
  11. JediJoker7169

JediJoker7169 Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

What about the watermarking? Not enough to ruin it for ya?

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

I prefer the Magees by far and away, and I have not been bothered by the watermarking enough to change my opinion on that one

13. JediJoker7169

I loooooove the Magee Atlantic albums (no watermarking), and my love for the one Magee Mercury album I have (Fly By Night) is only slightly diminished by the artifacts of the watermark.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  14. Frost15

Frost15 Active Member

To be sincere I haven't noticed it, so it must not be really bad in MP. Which song of MP is the best to spot the "watermark effect"?

15. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I hear it in the first few bars of Tom Sawyer. Listen for the warbled reverb trail when Neil accents on the hihat right before the vocal entrance.

Diablo Griffin and JediJoker7169 like this.
  16. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Think I remember reading that it's audible right at the start of Tom Sawyer, especially the drum hits (I can't hear it myself).

17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I only hear it a bit on Power Windows when I listen for it. Blends in with the eighties production :) The marking only seems to bother a few members here. It doesn't spoil the 2015 series for me.

18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

It's a messed up thing to do though, expecting people to pay high prices for these hi-res ''audiophile'' downloads and then botching them by putting this crap on.

ytserush, FashionBoy, Frost15 and 8 others like this.
  19. JediJoker7169

Agreed. It's one thing to do it to free digital streams and broadcasts to prevent piracy, but if the customer is paying—especially for a hi-res download or any kind of physical disc—an audible watermark is unacceptable.

ytserush, jamesc, Frost15 and 6 others like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

Totally agree, and I am not sure what the point of it is? It isn't like it will deter pirating, and not to mention they will lose potential sales of the people who would have bought it but didn't because of the watermarking.

21. Diablo Griffin

Diablo Griffin Synthpop and Rock Enthusiast

The watermarking is the one reason why I'm not bothering to buy any more of the hi-res remasters. I rarely play vinyl these days (mainly due to laziness and lack of space to hook up my TT), so unless the rest of the Mercury remasters somehow get released on CD, I'm pretty much done with the series. With that said, I'm still enjoying the Atlantic hi-res remasters. I've got all of 'em except for Presto, which I haven't picked up because I own an original vinyl pressing.

22. Has the label ever confirmed the watermarking? It seems like such an odd thing to have done,

latheofheaven likes this.
  23. JediJoker7169

Well, we're onto #2 on CD now with the forthcoming 40th Anniversary edition of A Farewell To Kings, joining 2112 from last year.
    I doubt Universal will ever cop to it. The best hope is in new management replacing the old fogies who don't understand their own market anymore.

ytserush, Frost15 and latheofheaven like this.
  24. latheofheaven

[​IMG]

JediJoker7169 likes this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Do you have the 24/48 version or the 24/192 version that was briefly available? I'd have to check mine.