Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Until now only accompanied with the vinyl. The downloads available are the 2013 remasters, essentially those of the box set, occasionally with a bit less limiting (Presto/RTB). Nevertheless far inferior to Magee's 2015 work. So your only option unfortunately is to buy the vinyl.

sound chaser likes this.
  2. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Well, (I believe) I missed the expiration date of the download cards while waiting to see if the downloads were released individually (as I am out of space for vinyl). Somehow I missed the news that it was the 2013 remasters that came on the downloads. Thanks for the news, Limopard. I'll just grab the one or two I like best on vinyl next time I see a sale and move on.

3. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

So... people here are prefering the HDtracks' Rush remasters over the Canadian Anthem ones, nowadays anyway? Which ones are warmer and more natural to the ears?

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Agree.

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The Sean Magee remasters are excellent.

oneway23, chrischerm and Plan9 like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, *not* the 2011/2013 Sectors remasters, the 2015 Sean Magee remasters.

7. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

They can be found out on the web. It's too bad they don't make the best mastering available to purchase stand alone.

DiabloG likes this.
  8. Hatchet Jack

All of the release dates from Rush's albums in the HDtracks site are "2015". So i guess they're the Magee ones, not the 2013 ones from the box, right? They used to be sold only with the vinyl releases, is that right?

9. The DR Database listings for Rush, sorted by year, appears to show that the 2015 HDT releases have decent DR. That is a pretty good indicator of MaGee's masterings.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Edit: there are a few non-Rush titles in the listing, but those are easy to ignore.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  10. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

All I can say is that I really like the 2015 hi res of Signals. It bettered my original WG CD and is pleasing to my ears. I listen to it all of the time. I bought it from ProStudioMasters as their customer service is exceptional.

Rush, Signals (Remastered 2015) in High-Resolution Audio

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  11. Hatchet Jack

I'm a little bit confused here: if the HDtracks store shows the release dates of Rush's albums as 2015, are you sure they're the 2013 remasters form the box set?

12. ElevatorSkyMovie

The Mercury albums should show 2015. I can't get to HD Tracks at work. Do the Atlantic albums also show 2015?

I "acquired" mine online, and they say they were released by Rhino which is under Warner Bros., same as Atlantic.

13. Hatchet Jack

All of the Mercury albums show release dates as 2015, but only some of them specify Magee as an engineer. The Altlantic ones show different dates, but none of them is 2015.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Atlantic ones on HDtracks are Sector releases. Mercury are 2015 Sean Magee. The Mercury ones were sold standalone of the vinyl releases whereas the Atlantic vinyl releases are the only way to officially get the Magee versions.

Plan9 and ad180 like this.
  15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Mike is correct.

It’s worth buying the vinyl for the downloads (though the downloads have expired, some people had no problem getting revised download links from Rhino). You can always sell the vinyl in the Classifieds. That said, there is no guarantee that Rhino will still honor the download codes.

Plan9 likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

This.

HDTracks Rush on Mercury with 2015 date = Sean Magee remasters, the good ones.

albertop and Hatchet Jack like this.
  17. Hatchet Jack

Does anybody knows if they have plans to offer the Altantic Magee's for purchase someday?

JulesRules likes this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nobody knows, or at least nobody has reported that here.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  19. ElevatorSkyMovie

The only Atlantic I don't have is Vapor Trails. I don't think it was remastered.

I have a really good needle drop of VT to keep me. It actually sounds really good.

20. Even better: It was remixed.

Rush - Vapor Trails Remixed

latheofheaven likes this.
  21. The best sounding Vapor Trails, in my opinion, was the remastered but not remixed version that was briefly available for download from HD Tracks. It didn’t have any of the digital clipping distortion present on the CD. It was still pretty compressed, but I still think it sounds better than the remix (which is also pretty compressed). When the remixed version was released, HD Tracks substituted it for the remastered original mix.

22. Gotta disagree. To me, the original vinyl VT sounds poor—it has the same crackling digital distortion that is on the CD.

latheofheaven likes this.
  23. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

WOW, Holy Crap man, what a difference! Hail Vinyl indeed! :) I have the remixed vinyl and I really like it (on my system, I personally find this album and Clockwork Angels more dynamic and natural sounding than any of Magee's remasters. Just my taste...)

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  24. Hatchet Jack

I have "Hesmispheres" and the three Atlantic albums remastered by Audio Fidelity: do you guys favor Magee's remasterings over the AF ones too?

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I compared Hemispheres and Counterparts back in 2015, and for what it's worth, I kept the Audio Fidelity SACDs as my favourites.