Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Can you ask him what he used to cut AFTK?

Billy Budapest and jriems like this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yup. By the time 1983 rolled around, I was sick and tired of pops, clicks and IGD, and embraced CD like a gift from on high. I was a CD-only zealot for many years - until I upgraded my turntable/cart and discovered how good even my old, worn out vinyl could sound.

I still passionately dislike vinyl defects, but now balance the benefits with the negatives. I'm more forgiving of it, and accept it as part of the price of listening to vinyl - to a point. I will still return LPs that are outside my tolerance range.

I still like CDs just fine and dandy, btw, but I've learned over time that while they can be great, they can also suck - just as much as vinyl can. Not for the same reasons, necessarily, but CD's aren't perfection.

Veovis, asat, rminer and 1 other person like this.
  3. Perhaps others that are keenly interested in the origins of AFTK are also on Twitter and can ask. He does seem to be pretty approachable.

scottp likes this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

There were promo copies of 2112 with the hologram kicking around at least six weeks before release. I'd lay odds Hemispheres has already been pressed and is waiting to ship.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My AFTK is slightly domed, but it's so quiet that I don't want to take a chance on a replacement. A record spindle clamp is all that's needed to tame it, anyway.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That will tame the domed side, but does a spindle clamp do anything for the bowled side? I'm asking because I don't have a clamp, but have been considering one. Will a spindle clamp do anything to push the up-turned edges down on the bowled side?

7. Since he Tweeted that he cut Signals today, and assuming he is going in order of release, I say you are most assuredly right.

8. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

The Michell Record Clamp is an easy and affordable clamp that uses a small felt washer underneath the clamp to use on the bowled side. Here is a discussion http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/question-about-michell-record-clamp.279155/ and video

I have one and it works fine.

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thanks. How does it work on the side that has the record edge lifted off the platter due to the warp?

Edit: Guess I should have watched the video before asking. :) Does the felt washer work even for heavy 200g vinyl?

10. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Well, I haven't had an extremely dished 200 gram record yet. The clamp works on 180 gram records depending on the dish size I would say. Some severe ones didn't do much. These went straight back to the store off course. The clamps works best on standard (about 120 gram) weight records.

11. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

just got my replacement of kings today. that was quick, thanks for the advice. but this one will go back too,,, pops on both madrigal and cgynus x-1. didn't even listen to side 1 yet. cant imagine. I will keep sending back till I get what I want. Its a bad pressing problem I think, check out the new van halen remaster vinyls,, are perfect. no noise or pops at all. not even one. here and there..

12. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

Are you cleaning your records before you play them? How about your needle? Pops here and there are normal for records. Maybe your expectations would be better met through hires files. Good luck.

Veovis likes this.
  13. henry babenko

yes, clean em and my needle is only a month old. I use a ortofon pro s, and like I said. those van halens sound perfect.. and so do my other records... plus I read on other boards that many had these same issue with these new rush vinyls...

14. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Listening to the High Resolution now....sounds superb!
    [​IMG]

scottp and DiabloG like this.
  15. My dished FBN was purchased locally. I don't buy the 'Amazon causes records to become warped' theory. I think they are warped/dished right out of the stamper due to a temperature/cooling issue. I think the problem is worsened by needless heavy vinyl. I wish someone with factory experience could chime in and settle this...

johnny q likes this.
  16. henry babenko

oh, I also realized that side 1 sits up a lot higher than side 2. quess me got a warped one too..

17. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident

My copy from Amazon is fine. Flat and no out of the ordinary pops or clicks. Just Rush.

18. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

My first Amazon copy of 2112 was dished. It was returned and the replacement is dished, though not as bad. I will keep it. My Amazon copy of AFTK is severely dished and replacement is on the way. Fingers crossed. All copies have been quiet with no pops/crackles.

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Amazing that their quality control is so poor with this kind of stuff. Although I will say most 200g pressings I know of have had QC issues as well, so maybe it's partially in the formula.

Who knows, but I think this really sucks because the actual mastering and content on these LPs have been a godsend to those of us with old beat up originals in dire need of upgrading.

20. Wanna ask him what's up with the A Farewell to Kings 24/96 and 24/192 files that appear to be up sampled from a 24/44.1 source?

21. henry babenko

the problem is too, I've heard these recordings too many times to count in the 80's 90's 2000's that no matter how remastered they are or how they come. iam getting sick of them.. that's why I love rush live better...

ytserush likes this.
  22. henry babenko

yes, I agree, they got the mastering down. but not the pops and clicks. and now this warped thing going..

23. No I don't, but Twitter accounts are free. Even our host has one. :)

He did reply to someone this morning (maybe a thread participant?) that the vinyl was cut from 24/192 files, but of course that says nothing about the source of the 24/192 file.

24. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

So much for all analogue cutting. More lies!!! :)

25. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Thanks. I just checked out his Twitter and, yeah, it looks like all of these are cut from 24/192 files. Guess I'll stick with the files themselves for this series and skip the vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.