Rush "permanent waves" mfsl 2015 reissue vinyl lp comparison?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I love the Sean McGee vinyl reissues but this one I was not crazy about. It sounds to my ears dull and veiled. I have an original US Promo pressing and the difference is like night and day. I don't own the MFSL vinyl but I do have a needle drop of it and it sounds nice. My personal opinion is to stick with the MFSL and forgo the recent reissue.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Well it would certainly be the cheaper alternative lol. I know if the PRC Pe W I have coming sounds anything like the PRC Signals I just got, I'll be very happy. But a bit bummed as well though. The mofi Pe W I have wasn't cheap, as I'm sure most know. But, the sound on the PRC Signals is almost what I'd call, and imo, perfect. Just all around an ideal sound, again imo. Therefore, if I get the same kind of pressing with the Pe W, unfortunately, the mofi may become irrelevant. As it is now, the mofi is my preferred version,(although my only version)because of the nice highs, which I love, I doubted any other versions (CDs) would come close. However, the highs on the PRC Signals are actually much better to my ears, and a lot more balanced with the other frequencies giving just an overall much more even, clean sound. Just a quick note of observation; the stereo imaging on my Signals(prc)is almost like 3D. It's a pretty wide soundstage, but I'll be damned if i cant almost see the layers of sound as they shape and reshape within my listening zone. Its Funny, the Signals Blu-ray in 5.1 didn't even come anywhere near what the the 2 channel analog version acheived to my ears.

ytserush and marcfeld69 like this.
  3. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Excellent! I just picked up a Signals with PRC in the deadwax. I dont know if that means it's a Compton. I also just noticed there's an RL Masterdisk of it. Would be nice to know how thst sounds.

Brian9229 likes this.
  4. marcfeld69

Update: it seems as if the Compton Signals is the RL: Rush - Signals

The one I have doesn't have RL but it does have the variants I have bolded below (without the MASTERDISK stamp):

• Matrix / Runout (A Side Etch): SRM-1-4063-AS-C3-1-5 MASTERDISK RL PRC-C
    • Matrix / Runout (B Side Etch): SRM-1-4063-BS-PRC-C1-1-4
    • Rights Society: ASCAP
    • Other (International #): 6337 243
    • Other (Pressing Plant #): 26
    • Matrix / Runout (A Side Etch (variant)): SRM-1-4063-AS-PRC-C1-1-1
    • Matrix / Runout (B Side Etch, MASTERDISK stamped (variant)): SRM-1-4063-BS-PRC-C3-1-5 MASTERDISK

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    ytserush, Brian9229 and johnny q like this.
  5. marcfeld69

Update on my update: the second side actually has 'SRM-1-4063-BS-PRC-C1-1-1-11, and the 1st side 'SRM-1-4063-AS-PRC-C1-1-1, then B?, then 11.'

ytserush and Brian9229 like this.
  6. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Nice! I can tell you that PRC C and PRC W in the deadwax will be the Compton plant. If it's just PRC or PRC R its from the Indiana plant. I've heard of the RL signals and would love to score one as well. Not to mention an RL MP. So far, the only RL's I have is an op of Kiss Alive. I'm heading to Vermont (originally from, but live in NY)this weekend to hit up a record store in Burlington that I visit regularly and always has good Rush records. My last trip there I got a mint Masterdisk GUP that I love and sounds a lot better than my other copies. Having gone through (literally, I'm afraid)every known Rush thread here quite thoroughly, I can safely assume an RL Signals would be a Grail of sorts. They are pretty rare I think. But, it'll be fun hunting in the wild.

ytserush and marcfeld69 like this.
  7. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Yep, looks like a Compton press.:righton:
    Edit: lol check out my deadwax SRM - 1 - 4063 - AS - PRC C - 1 -1 -(scrawled out 1) 5
    Side 2: SRM - 1 - 4063 - BS - PRC - C1 - 1 - 1 they're almost identical. I do not have a Masterdisk stamp though.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Nice work, I've been wondering this for a bit.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. marcfeld69

Thanks. It looks likes I really lucked in there. It was a ridiculous ¥500 here, and the only one in the shop, seemingly EX, but I have to play it yet. I find it difficult to be sure about Ludwig's handwriting, with only the RL to go on. I might eventually put up a pic here of the matrix. (You might have seen the same post by me on another Rush thread, btw). I'll be back when I've had a listen.

ytserush and Brian9229 like this.
  10. marcfeld69

Yes, almost identical, as you say. The one that I think looks like a B might be just a number scrawled out, too.

Brian9229 likes this.
  11. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Sweeeeet price! I'm not sure what post you mean. But, I have seen a post with a pic on here (maybe more) with deadwax RL writing pics. And the post talked about his writing style, and how you could tell how some pressings were still his even without the RL by the handwriting. I have been, for the last two days, trying to find that post lol. No luck yet, but I'll find it. I'd like to copy the pic for reference, or bookmark page anyway. I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on this. Hope it turns out to be great, what a listen!!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. marcfeld69

Oh, sorry for any confusion. It was me who posted RL's writing. I just neant that I posted the matrix asking if the Signals I found was a Compton (before you posted your confirmation). I'd love to see that post showing ow to ID his handwriting.

Brian9229 likes this.
  13. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I just put on my Japanese pressing and, frankly, I'm not sure how it gets much better than that. It sparkles, but not too much, and the kick and bass guitar are absolutely perfect, "in the room" sounding.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. marcfeld69

Oh. Just what I didn't need to here, being in Japan. Now I have to buy it...:hide:[P.S. is this for PeW?]

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Brian9229 and toddrhodes like this.
  15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Yep, Permanent Waves, sorry I wasn't specific :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. marcfeld69

Will keep an eye out, then.

toddrhodes likes this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Out of curiosity spurred by this thread I threw on my 2015 McGee Permanent Waves this morning. I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't find this to be lacking much. I know it's better than the original I have which must not be a Compton pressing because it IS dull and lifeless as is my original Signals.

To me the McGee sounds good enough I certainly won't be hunting down a MoFi at the going price. The idea of trying this Compton pressing is tempting however.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. marcfeld69

This could be become a movement yet. :)

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I didn't think the MoFi was anything special and got rid of it after the 2015 came out.

Also, no one has mentioned it in this thread, so I'll point it out. Before spending $$$ on the MoFi keep in mind that the artwork was botched so badly that it looks like a bootleg. Actually that's being too kind, it looks like they just walked over to a copy machine, copied the original cover, and used that for their reissue. And not even a high resolution copy machine, just something you would have found at Kinkos in the 1980s. It's that bad, I'm not exaggerating (really!).

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Turns out one of my Signals is a RL PRC:
    Side 1:SRM-1-4063-AS-PRC-R3-1-1-12? Masterdisc RL PRC
    Side 2: SRM-1-4063-BS-PRC-C3-1-1

It sounds much better than my other original pressing which is pretty lifeless but I'm a bit confused as to where it came from. Based on the fact I found it in the Midwest and side 1 has the PRC-R, I would guess the Indiana plant? Would the Compton be better yet?

The McGee Signals is cut at a lower level but volume matched compares pretty favorably to this one.

Brian9229 and marcfeld69 like this.
  21. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Ok, gotcha. Yeah, I'm still searching. I seem to remember (not sure though)it being somewhere in the beginning of the Rush vinyl thread.(huge album by album thread) I just can't be sure yet, there is so many other Rush threads I've been through. Gotta keep slugging through though.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

There doesn't seem to be, at least to me, any rhyme or reason why the Compton's sound so good. As it happens, all the ones I have sound exceptional, but other than knowing where it was pressed, I'm not sure why. As far as these specific Rush albums (Pe W, and Signals),they could just be RL's without the initials for all we know.(seemingly unlikely, but possible maybe.) I'm definitely going to seek out some more PRC pressings, at least to see if maybe there's some sort of sonic common thread between them. As of now, I only have the PRC Signals, and Def Leppard Pyromania.(the latter sounds unbelievable as well.)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. marcfeld69

Cool. Sometimes I get much better results using just Google than the search on this site (???).

Brian9229 likes this.
  24. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Records are meant to be played!

Shak Cohen, Brian9229 and marcfeld69 like this.
  25. marcfeld69

Well, I'm listening to the Compton Signals. It has an excellnt soundstage, great punch, and a lot of warmth. Wonderful, possibly better than the Compton PeW. Have to compare the two.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Brian9229 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.