Russell Crowe as "Noah"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It was... okay.

It had flashes of Aronofsky's signature style, but not enough of them. For the most part it felt very Hollywood.

One thing I do respect about him as a director is that you never really know what his next film is going to be like. Very unpredictable in terms of subject matter and even style, to an extent.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I rented this the other night. I readily admit to being biased as far as biblical accounts are told. I tried my best to watch it as unbiased as possible. The things I liked about it were the actual feel of the movie. The depiction of the ark the family relationships the struggles etc were not over the top or weird.

The negatives would be, of course, the total disregard of any storyline that is in the continuity or character of the biblical account. While I realize that, for instance, the Ten Commandments took liberties they didn't contradict the nature of the main character. Russell Crowes portrayal of a near homicidal baby killer strays waaaay from any account of a Noahs character. Admittedly we know little of Noahs personality but the total 180 of this movies Noah seems to definitely have an agenda to make him seem very "different" from the biblical account.

Whether someone sees the bible as fantasy is a choice. But this movie was definitely a fantasy version of the bibles story of Noah.

As a fantasy, oddly, I thought the rock dudes were really cool. And when the shot up to the sky as angels and the big fight broke out between the arc people, rock giants and the bad guys it was a scene the could have been taken from Lord Of The Rings.

Other than that...as a film on its own..as a Christian, Muslim , Buddhist, atheist, agnostic or whatever you are ...it's still a crap film pretty much.

3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Re "Russell Crowe as "Noah"":
    Ah, No. :biglaugh:
    :hide:

4. Crowe was great as Noah & the movie was a real wacked-out bong-hit of an apocalyptic fairy-tale. Act 2 reeeeeally goes off the rails, what with the whole 'pregnancy' and all, but the audacity of it was very appealing to me, actually. Aronofsky has balls of iron for even trying it, IMHO.

agentalbert likes this.
  5. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

this film was terrible and the CGI was laughable. I am usually not picky about that< i can let a lot of stuff slide but this was just terrible!! My GF couldnt keep a straight face either...those "angels" are AWFULLY done. plus everything else about the movie just sucked. crap all the way....btw, I LOVE the movie Black Swan, brilliant.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Do explain how angels are supposed to look.

7. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

i dont mind them being non-traditional looking at all, but the CGI was AWFUL!!! especially on them! laughable, that was the worst part of the movie

8. The CGI for Noah's angels did appear to be pandering to the Harry Potter crowd. I don't think there is any other explanation for their look.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Aranofsky's never shown any interest in the Harry Potter fanbase as his audience before. A much more likely explanation is he's catering to the Gnostic Zohar crowd.

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

One of those movies I will most happily never watch.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I want another Master and Commander movie. That was a Russell Crowe that I enjoyed.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm impatient for them to start production on 'Black Swan 2'!:laugh: That was a Darren Aronofsky that I enjoyed.

agentalbert likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wonder what Aronofsky's next directing project is.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you ain't missing nothing! boy meets girl falls madly in love after 5 seconds... Son wants to kill Dad...end of story. Oh wait? this was about Noah's Ark?!...terrible version.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

absolutely top notch in that one!
    also wonderful in Cinderella Man!

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I avoided this movie long enough and watched the Blu-ray. Was pleasantly surprised at the relevance of the story line, that it included "Book of Enoch" material and took a lot of liberty with it, and the quality of the filming. (Should have expected at least the latter from the director). I'll watch it again, intriguing movie.

agentalbert and PH416156 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.