Russian Roulette via 5AR4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sckott, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

This is just a story for all of you, especially you toobies:

About 2-3 weeks ago, a forum member asked me "How long does a Russian 5AR4 last?". Well, I had one in my #2 Dynaco St70, and it hadn't died yet.

"Should last QUITE a while. I've never seen a 5AR4 go."
    Famous last words.

That night, I noticed some crackling in my #2. Might be the tuner, but with my Foreplay on my CD, same thing. It stopped. I turned the sucker off and went to bed.

The next night, I turned the amp on and got nothing. FFFFTTT! Fuse! Hmm. I go down to Rat Shack to get another Slo-Blow pak. FFFFTTT! It blows again. (Explitive deleted). This time I take it down. I notice with a 3rd fuse, the baby lights up, and stays steady, but I get no reading. Not even a smidge. (wha??).

Took the 5AR4 off and looked at it. If a fuse blows on a Dynaco, almost every time, the 5AR4 is almost always at fault. I took the Mullard off the #1 and took it to the #2 for a temporary time.

Bingo. Sucker lit, and I got plate. This Mullard is over 30 years old. My Russian SOVTEK was umm.... 8 months old. (I noticed also that the Mullard did some large ammounts of warmth to the sound).

I ended up telling Steve. "I've not had ONE 5AR4 blow, ever." he wrote back, and confirmed my thoughts.

So, I wrote back to this forum member:

"You won't beleieve this, but MY Sovtek 5AR4 just gassed too.
    You are a jinx. Thanks a lot....-Sckott"

He wrote back; "No way! Geez I'm sorry!"

Well, you know who you are, but I hope all is well.

Friends don't tell friends their tube gassed.

2. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Hey Sckott,

Hmmm, I've got about 1.5 years on my Sovtek 5AR4 (also in a Stereo 70). Guess I'm "living on the edge" and had better start shopping for a new 5AR4 before it's too late! Otherwise, I'm stuck listening to SS! God forbid! :-o

Thanks,
    Kevin

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Spend $60 on a Mullard GZ34/5AR4. The tube will be a big difference and will possibly still work long after we all get old. I got some more Sovteks to get me by until I can get down to the MIT yard sales this spring. Sure to find one there....!

Good luck to you, as well....!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.