Ryan Adams 2019 Triple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by petercw2, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently Ryan has come out of a self imposed exile of social media for what can be inferred as a return to his dark side (oddly coinciding with the Mandy Moore interview in which she really bagged on her marriage to him) and basically announced he's planning on releasing THREE albums in 2019.

Obviously, this news arrives with great division of opinion.

But today we got the details of the 1st LP, "BIG COLORS".
    What is interesting is it's produced with Beatriz Artola and Don Was, and will come from BLUE NOTE. Included in his return to social media was a video clip of Ryan recording a vocal track with three unnamed blues signers, in lovely harmony.

We also have been told the second LP will be called "Wednesdays".

From the Washington Post "Power Up" Newsletter (1/9/19)
    ATTENTION MUSIC HEADS:
    If you follow my friends at NBC News and Politico — Katy Tur and Jake Sherman — you might have seen some breaking nonpolitical news about Power Up reader and friend Ryan Adams's three (!) new albums being released this year. We've got the track list for Adams's album “BIG COLORS,” produced by Beatriz Artola, Ryan Adams, and Don Was, set to be released April 19, 2019:

1. Big Colors

2. Do Not Disturb

3. It's So Quiet, It's Loud

4. (Expletive) the Rain

5. Doylestown Girl

6. Dreaming You Backwards

7. I Surrender

8. What Am I

9. Power

10. Showtime

11. In It For The Pleasure

12. Middle of the Line

13. I'm Sorry and I Love You

14. Manchester

15. Summer Rain

From Don Was, another Power Up friend: “I wish everyone could witness the awe-inspiring sight of Ryan Adams recording in the studio . . . the endless flow of brilliant ideas is mind blowing and he's clearly tapped into the deepest reaches of the Creative Ether. His forthcoming album(s) elevate his art form to a whole new stratosphere and it's an honor and a thrill for all of us at Blue Note Records to work with him. Oh yeah . . . one other thing: he's the most underrated guitarist in rock n roll.”

Here's a StereoGum post about the story with lots of links to tweets and stuff.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I wonder whether Wednesday will be a companion piece to Jacksonville City Nights.

Looking forward to these!

DaveJ and Erik B. like this.
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It's a fools game I know, but I'm encouraged by some of those track titles - they scan like classic Ryan Adams song titles.

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Need to keep my ear to the floor for limited edition pre-orders. With 15 tracks, that first album should easily be a double-vinyl set.

Erik B. likes this.
  5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Prisoner was a big return to form, IMO. Looking forward to these.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Is it 2005 all over again?

7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

8. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Damn, wasn't expecting to hear anything this soon.

The song has a nice vibe... but it's definitely a sound Ryan's been exploring for a few albums now. I loved Prisoner and the B-sides but I was kinda hoping for a change. The title Big Colors and the album art remind me of Elvis Costello or something. Plus that clip on Twitter showed Ryan doing harmonies with backup singers. I want to hear that song next!

Even if Big Colors doesn't deliver a change, I can't imagine all 3 albums he's promising will be stylistically uniform. Right?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  9. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

it's a perfectly lovely tune, and I feel a bit guilty saying this, but haven't we heard this same song from him a few times already?
    Odd choice to give to a station to debut. The video clip of him with the blue singers is so promising for something different and new from Ryan.
    This just sounds like the same stuff he's been putting out for the last 3-4 records.

Dan33185 and Jack like this.
  10. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I should really be a big fan of this guy. I like the general genre his work encompasses, he is a local, Whiskeytown was a good band. But try as I might I just can’t seem to.

I’ve always gotten the impression that what he needs is an editor.

11. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Well, the last thing we want is for Ryan Adams to sound like, you know, Ryan Adams. Maybe he should explore the sounds of Bryan Adams. :sigh:

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

After his breakdown and subsequent relapse a few months ago I thought maybe the new material would be scrapped but obviously not.

Wondering if the third album is one of the vault albums he promised last summer? Blackhole is my holy grail unreleased album by any artist.

Mt.Elga and Alien Ache like this.
  13. Alien Ache

Sure, call those of us who are ever so slightly disappointed "haters" and dismiss us with your snark. It's an honest opinion on hearing a new song for the first time, offered up in good faith. You don't have to "LOVE!" every song by an artist you're a fan of immediately and unequivocally...

FWIW, after a few listens: Sweet! A quality Ryan Adams song. I dig him as a songwriter and an artist. I'm gonna keep listening.

14. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

What’s with the Nebraska artwork?

15. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Was Nebraska the first album that employed that style of cover? You could probably make a thread on covers of that ilk

AA Bondy and Evan Dando come to mind

*Obviously the colour scheme is different

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BlackDove likes this.
  16. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Makes no sense, they don’t use the same colour scheme as Springsteen

Graham likes this.
  17. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

Clearly an intentional homage / reference to the Nebraska cover. What do you mean, "what's with [it]?"

lucan_g likes this.
  18. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

19. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

The new song....meh....hope hopefully his muse will return in some form on this lps..

moonshiner likes this.
  20. Alien Ache

Always thought The National’s The Virginia EP art was a Nebraska homage. It even has that cover of “Mansion on the Hill.”

[​IMG]

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That's a nice cover.

DaveJ likes this.
  22. drivingtheview

drivingtheview Not forever just for now

Great news about Ryan. Shame he's a first class douche. I'm still bitter about him breaking up Whiskeytown. Yes - I acknowledge he's released amazing albums since then. And I own most of them. But I'm still pissed about it. That being said.., if Ryan Adams makes NBC News report 'breaking' non-political news, I should find a way to let go of my grudge. Hope these albums capture some of his brilliance. This story still owns me every time I'm reminded; Ryan Adams: The First Time I Was Rattled by a Heckler

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's the font, not the artwork, but yes, it's meant to remind you of Nebraska. And it's in red in case you miss it.

I hope these come out on CDs too--and not just vinyl....

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This reminds me a little bit of that old Elvis Costello compilation Taking Liberties....

Alien Ache likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.