Ryan Adams Heartbreaker Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I have the SACD which sounds lovely. I wouldn't go for a vinyl, certainly not at this price, but a 2 CD set with outtakes would be nice.

3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Would love a disc of unheard Outtakes/demos!

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I'd buy a version without that annoying "mouth full of cookies" Morrissey argument at the start...

5. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

The outtakes disc should start with the first part of the argument - been trying to figure out if it was Suedehead or Everyday Is Like Sunday they were arguing about.

6. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I love this album - listened to it yesterday. It is definitely in my top 25 favorite records of all time.

Erik B. likes this.
  7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

And yes, that would be an improvement on the purchase price of acquiring this on vinyl.

8. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

bollocks! this is probably my favorite album intro of all time lol

Peter_R, Cassius, tcj and 1 other person like this.
  9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I don't mind the intro either--I can imagine a music geek like Adams having these debates all the time. Plus, I've just gotten used to the album starting this way!

Erik B. and wbhendrix like this.
  10. rsjbraz

rsjbraz Forum Resident

A 7inch is coming out for Record Store Day with an alternate take of Come Pick Me Up and When The Ropes Get Tight from the forthcoming deluxe edition of Heartbreaker!

rob303 and Paranoid Android like this.
  11. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

It's Suedehead, you can just about hear it if you listen closely, whoever says it (Ryan/Ethan) is being talked over by the other party (Ethan/Ryan) so it's kinda muffled. Also, anyone who doesn't love that intro simply has no soul.

elvissinatra, hazard, tcj and 2 others like this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Damn, and there I was thinking I was just as human as the next person. Oh well.

13. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

"It's on Viva Hate too?" "Uh-huh, Suedehead" "...cause I was looking for that the other day (or something like that)"
    Just gave it a quick spin now. It's all a bit garbled because they are both trying to talk over each other, but it's there. Also it's Ryan's best album after Love Is Hell, so looking forward to a deluxe reissue. The man has so many unreleased tracks that he could do several bonus discs per album easily, though as this is the only one of the early albums not on Lost Highway there is not guarantee that will happen. Calling it now, just in case, Demolition turns into 20/20!

14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I have several solo soundboard acoustic shows from this era... Easy to forget now, but back then Ryan was a cult artist. His major label deal had collapsed, his band was broken up, and he was back on tiny Bloodshot. Few of us expected Heartbreaker to go on to revive his career and become his most-loved album to date.

Anyway, he had no problems with whoever hooking directly up to the board to record his shows, so the SQ for all these is outstanding. There's also a bunch of HB demos circulating... The version of Dear Chicago certainly deserves to be heard properly.

I'd also like to hear Gimme Sunshine, Hey There Missus Lovely, Just Like A Whore, Abigail, What Sin, Born Yesterday, Oh My Sweet Valentine, and Nighttime Gals....

painted8 and Rupe33 like this.
  15. Frank Mills

Frank Mills Forum Resident

I've only heard the Demolition version of 'Dear Chicago' - Any idea where I can get hold of this other version... or the soundboard recordings?

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I have no soul, then; just a hungering void that can only be assuaged by programming that daft intro out of my iTunes.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

Can you see your reflection in mirrors? That is generally the second indication of soul loss. :D

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Heh ... wait until you get up the the Pearly Gates ... I've got a sneaking suspicion that the indication of soul loss is being able to see your reflection a mirror! :shh:
    (Twilight Zone writers ... you can have that one for free.)

19. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Ethan Johns talked about this briefly during a Q&A session when he played at End of The Road Festival a few years back.

It was quite a while ago now, but I seem to remember him saying that he was running a second tape machine during the sessions so there is a fair bit of studio outtake material in existence.

Automatic purchase for me whatever's on the bonus disc, but I do hope they save the Suicide Handbook tracks for another project - they deserve a separate release in themself.

gramfan and autumn daze like this.
  20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I don't have the HB take of Dear Chicago, but I've heard it's legendary.
    Dear Chicago was also supposed to be on Gold as well... Not sure if that's the same version on Demolition. The Demolition one is from Suicide Handbook, I assume it would've been re-recorded for Gold.

I got the soundboards direct from a friend of mine back in 2000/2001. Some of those *were* circulating on the Ryan Adams FTP site before he or LH took it down... But that was a GREAT source for filling in gaps in my collection. There might be a similar "underground" source out there now but I don't know.

Here's my notes on the original double LP that was planned for Gold, along with the original tracklisting. It's fun to put this version together on your iPod just to change things up. Fool's Gold has never been released but it's a GREAT track... Albeit one that completely rips off All Along The Watchtower, so that's probably why it got killed.

RYAN ADAMS
    ORIGINAL GOLD

1. New York, New York
    2. Cannonball Days
    3. Rosalie Come & Go
    4. Tina Toledo’s Street Walkin’ Blues
    5. When The Stars Go Blue
    6. Dear Chicago
    7. Touch, Feel & Lose
    8. Gonna Make You Love Me
    9. SYLVIA PLATH
    10.Somehow, Someday
    11.Harder Now That It’s Over

1. Fool’s Gold
    2. Mara Lisa
    3. The Fools We Are As Men
    4. Firecracker
    5. Answering Bell
    6. Wild Flowers
    7. Nobody Girl
    8. La Cienega Just Smiled
    9. The Bar Is A Beautiful Place
    10.From Me To You
    11.The Rescue Blues
    12.Sweet Black Magic
    13.Goodnight, Hollywood Blvd.

Gold wasn’t always a single record. Originally, Ryan Adams’ major-label breakthrough was due to be released as a double album, a presentation of a year’s worth of songwriting in all its prolific glory. But Lost Highway balked at the idea of releasing a twenty-five song set for an unknown artist, and the album finally arrived as a single disc on September 25, 2001, after being drastically edited and reconfigured.

This is a recreation of the original version of Gold, corresponding to Adams’ initial wishes as closely as possible. All the songs from the official Gold are still present, save “Enemy Fire,” a last-minute addition first demoed with the Pinkhearts in December 2000. The remaining songs come from a variety of sources, chiefly a five-song bonus disc included with the first pressing of Gold. Was this a simple value addition, or Lost Highway appeasing Ryan by presenting a more complete Gold? Either way, the songs on “Side 4” (as indicated on the packaging) are “Rosalie Come And Go,” “The Fools We Are As Men,” “Sweet Black Magic,” “The Bar Is A Beautiful Place,” and “Cannonball Days.” Two additional songs (“Mara Lisa” and “From Me To You”) appeared on the import single for “New York, New York.”

The final songs have slightly more complicated origins. “Dear Chicago” had been recorded as the last track for Heartbreaker, but was ultimately left off that album. A different version was recorded at the “Suicide Handbook” sessions in January 2001 and was eventually released on the odds-and-ends set Demolition. This is the version that appears here; if Ryan re-recorded it a third time for Gold, that version has never surfaced. “Fool’s Gold” never saw an official release either, but a bootleg version began making the rounds in early 2002. Judging by its production and quality, this is definitely the same version planned to open Disc Two in Gold’s early double album days. Finally, “Off Broadway” was supposed to follow “Rosalie Come & Go” on Disc One, but the Gold version has yet to appear. A version recorded at the same “Suicide Handbook” sessions is circulating, but it doesn’t possess the same production quality as the rest of Gold and was ultimately left off this compilation.

So this is Gold, the original version. It’s an altogether different listen, but not one without its substantial charms. Try it out and decide for yourself.
    --Richard Challen

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    ceddy10165, ivor, JayB and 1 other person like this.
  21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Fool's Gold in nice quality:

If folks are interested I still have all the early "Sessions" info from the old Ryan Adams fansite. "Exile On Franklin St." should really be released along with this deluxe version of HB.

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Ive got an alternate version of Dear Chicago and it sounds like it's from the Gold sessions, not the Heartbreaker sessions.

I know that Dear Chicago was meant to be the closing track on Heartbreaker though.

Can't wait for the deluxe version, I wonder if there could be a full version of Revelator on there? Ethan always wanted it to be on Heartbreaker but Gillian Welch wouldn't let him.

23. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Any news as to WHEN this may be coming?

24. Jeff8086

Jeff8086 Forum Resident

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It would be great if it used the lacquers that BG cut for the second pressing.

jimhb and Jeff8086 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.