Ryko Henrix Winterland question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary G., Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary G.

Gary G. New Member Thread Starter

Hi-

I know somebody out there will know the answers to this question!
    There were a couple different releases of the 13 track Hendrix Winterland CD, from 1987, I think. The original Ryko was pressed in Japan, and has a white and silver front booklet. Later versions (not sure how many) seem to have a blue front booklet. My question is about the 3 track Winterland CD that came out later (1992?); were there more than one version of that one too, and a Ryco Japan pressing? Does this one have the blue front, or white and silver? I have seen the back tray insert only, and it is white and silver.
    Any and all information would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Mine was pressed in the US and has a pink and green cover (!) and is copyrighted 1992.

As far as I know, this was only available as part of a box with the original disc (blue cover) and a T-shirt.

Ryan

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The bonus disc (RYKODISC RCD 20038/+3) contains 3 more Winterland cuts from shows recorded on October 10, 11 and 12 1968.
    cut #1 Are You Experienced 13:28
    cut #2 Voodoo Chile (Slight return) 6:43
    cut #3 Like A Rolling Stone 11:48

It's been a while since I listened to it but the quality is very similar to the first Ryko Live At Winterland. I do remember that both of these releases seemed to have had extra reverb added (maybe an attempt to cover tuning problems?) Many of the Alan Douglas era live discs (epecially Jimi Hendrix Concerts) fell victim to this "bathed in reverb" approach. I don't have any other version of the Winterland shows to compare theses discs to but some of the reverb sounds unnatural.

Mike

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

....don't forget the "gold CD" version of Live at Winterland, which I suspect was just tinted polycarbonate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.