Sabbath Vertigo UK pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wags, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

If it's numbered, then it's a US box, not a UK box. I bet your Rarities LP is in a paper sleeve & lacks the German versionsof SLY & IWTHYH.

2. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Don't know about sabbath, but I had a chance to do some comparison for Uriah Heep albums - original Vertigos and later Bronze pressings (UK and Germany), and Mercury LPs from the US. They all sound different (e.g. Bronze pressings being brighter than Vertigos, and Mercury even brighter), but I cannot say I preferred Vertgo pressings over Bronze every time, because a little brightness can be a good thing for those albums.

From a collector's standpoint, the Vertigos are worth much more, of course.

3. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I have several Sabbath on original green label presses and I also think they sound great. A friend had a vertigo paranoid, but the condition was not good enough to do any real comparisons. It may be worth checking out the newest represses on Earmark (Italy). They're all analog remasterings. I'll probably buy one in the near future just to hear what they sound like. I'd lke to get an original vertigo swirl label just because they look so cool!

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

ALL of the discs in all of the US boxes were UK pressings EXCEPT for Rarities, which is pressed in the US and packaged in a paper sleeve instead of the full LP packaging that everybody else got. This was done so that US box-buyers would get the "hit" English language versions of I Want To Hold Your Hand & She Loves You (which were MIA on the UK LPs). All other countries' boxes got the Rarities version with the German language versions of those 2 songs (that's why I asked about your Rarities). Only 3000 US boxes were ever made. Only the US & Japanese boxes were numbered. No UK boxes were numbered.

5. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Wags, I own the Blue Box set and all Y&B Parlophone monos. I enjoy both but the monos really make me smile, perhaps because I was brought up listening to the monos. They sound very different than their stereo counterparts.
    Sometimes for kicks I'll play mono side 1 of an LP and play the stereo side 2 of the same Beatles title. I did that a couple of nights ago with SGT. Pepper. There was a thread a while back on the Pepper LP so I won't go any further with the comparison,
    I would recommend buying your favorite Beatles Lp in mono and if you like it, buy another, and another, pretty soon you'll have them all.:)

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Paranoid on Warners always sounded like a bad copy of the master tape was used. The Vertigo pressing is much clearer and doesn't have the channel faults during War Pigs (causing the image to jump all over the place - possibly an intermittent connection during the tape to tape transfer) that the Warners does. The top end is also rolled off in the Warners.
    When I first heard the Warners CD, it was obvious which tape was used. When the remastered Castle CD was popped into the player.....Ah Vertigo!
    Most of you are used to the US version, but that isn't what the Vertigo vinyl sounded like. The Castle remasters are very close to the Vertigo vinyl (or my memory of it) the sound hasn't been altered from the Vertigo as much as the Warners pressings are.
    If you are after vinyl, maybe also try the later (? 80s??) UK WWA repressings - the vinyl wasn't as good, but the sound was similar

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have both the Green label WB and Vertigo swirl pressings. The Vertigo's are better and are worth getting. However it is not a night and day difference like on Beatles LP's. The Vertigo pressing of Master of Reality has the biggest difference from the WB's and if I was to invest in one high $$$ pressing that would be the one I'd choose.

8. rockinroni

rockinroni New Member

you can get a new 180 gram of

LP Volume 4
    Black Sabbath
    Castle CMHLP 179
    Import from UK; 180 Gram In
    Stock $21.99

LP Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Black Sabbath
    Castle CMHLP 196
    Import from UK; 180 Gram In
    Stock $21.99

http://www.redtrumpet.com/software/label.php3?setformat=Vinyl&lid=3649&sid=1179913264

from Red trumpet I have both a German Swirl and the Castle reissue the Castle is a lot better.

AS far as the first Sabbath is concerned the best I have heard is the WWA/ UK release I also have a first ed w/B and a UK swirl.

I have been meaning to get
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Black Sabbath
    Castle CMHLP 196 I have a UK Nems and I don't like it
    So I am now going to Red Trumpet Thanks for reminding me.

PS I also have VOL 4 on a JAPANESE SWIRL/Mint
    Sounds good to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.