SACD/cd player question....Thx!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cat9, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please pardon my ignorance.

I do not purchase many cd's any longer and have never purchased an SACD.

I friend dropped off 300 cd's the other day and said, "Take what you want"

One is a Japanese SACD - Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static ....2 cd set

I have basic changers - Yamaha CDC 635 and a Sony CDP-C625

My question(s) - can I damage the cd itself by playing it on my changers....or can I hurt my player in any way?

Thx

2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

If it's a hybrid you can play them on any CD player. And even if it wasn't I doubt you'd do any damage to anything. You'd likely just get an error message on the CD player.

I've got a bunch of Rolling Stones CD's that are hybrd/SACD and I don't have a SACD compatible player. No issues.

Look for this somewhere on the packaging:
    [​IMG]

George P and cat9 like this.
  3. cat9

Thank-you!

Yes, I indeed did look for something like that.

It does say Super Audio CD ....but nowhere (that I can find) does it say Hybrid, etc

There are designations such as DSD and HDCD on it but nothing else anywhere.

4. Duke Fame

You might have a single layer SACD then.

Dave and cat9 like this.
  5. cat9

And if that is the case (which it seems you are correct) there still should be no issues to either the cd or the player if I play it? I just won't get all it has to offer in relation to its recording quality, right?

Thx

6. Duke Fame

If it's single layer it won't play. You'd need a SACD player.

Dave, chili555 and cat9 like this.
  7. Are you sure this is a SACD? I went through the SACD database and can't find any record of this Jack Johnson album being released anywhere on SACD.

What I did find was the Japanese SHM-CD, which is just one of Universal Music's more refined CD formats marketed exclusively in Japan.

If all you have is the SHM-CD, it plays on any regular CD player just fine. It conforms to the redbook CD specifications, simply using better materials when pressing and etching the CD master.

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static

Duke Fame and cat9 like this.
  8. cat9

As did I and could not find it either.....but it appears to exist - here is a pic(s)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave likes this.
  9. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Give it a try just to find out if it's a hybrid or single layer....it won't damage anything inside your player...it's just a laser reading the data , no metal or mechanical part involved.

Duke Fame and cat9 like this.
  10. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Yes, indeed. It will either play or it won't. If it doesn't, list it for sale in the appropriate section of this forum and make a few dollars for it.

Duke Fame, caupina and cat9 like this.
  11. Duke Fame

Let us know how it turns out.

cat9 likes this.
  12. cat9

I will - thx

13. richsto

richsto Forum Resident

If it doesn’t work out for you I’d be glad to help lighten you of the burden of having an unplayable disc lying around. :)

Either way, let us know.

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It's a mainland Chinese CD....the simplified Chinese characters on the bottom left sticker and the silver round holographic sticker all indicate as such.

If the play side is silver in color, then it could be a single-layer SACD or a plain CD (SHM or otherwise).

F1nut likes this.
  15. cat9

Thx!
    So it's for lack of a better word...."scam" goods?

16. cat9

See soundboy's explanation.....so it seems nothing special here - sorry!

17. cat9

My buddy was told it was a Japanese pressing...I sure hope he didn't pay dearly for it.
    It may have even been given to him....I don't know.
    ...and at this point wont tell him of course.

Thx

18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I am not 100% sure whether it's "scam" goods. Legitimate mainland Chinese CDs do have the round holographic sticker.

Given that the disc says it's a SACD and has HDCD*, that means it's a hybrid SACD....one with a CD compatible layer. All hybrid SACD has a light gold color on its play surface. Check to see if that's the case.

*Hybrid SACDs with HDCD on the CD compatible layer do exist, with Reference Recordings being the main proponent.

c-eling and cat9 like this.
  19. cat9

Yes must be Hybrid as you state - it does have a light gold colouring to it.

Thx!

I learned something today!!

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

How does the disc sound on your system?

21. cat9

I'll have a listen tomorrow

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Me think's that's a counterfeit. Especially when I see SACD and HDCD being used and no other manufacture using HDCD tech.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

[​IMG]

If I am right, the Jack Johnson titles is from Universal Music. And they are not HDCD supporters. So I am leaning towards your side.

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Think there is an Enya comp (China) and a few others made around that time frame that are counters as well. Stating HDCD. Of course you never see 'Licensed from Microsoft' etc :laugh:

25. I've seen Chinese CDs get slapped with all sorts of audio labels, even on plain redbook CDs. DTS, SACD, HDCD, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.