SACD/DVD-A/MP3/DVD-V for 179$!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

The Eagle has landed!! Heres a SACD/DVD-A Combo player for 179$$$
    And get this...its even progressive Scan!!!

Implementing both SACD and DVD-Audio decoder chips in a single player usually catapults the retail price to the $1,000 mark or higher. So how can Pioneer electronics offer a universal player for under $200? Due out by mid-year, the company’s new DV-563A progressive scan DVD-Video/Audio player can also play SACD discs by internally converting SACD’s native DSD bitstream to PCM prior to D/A conversion and analog output. Although such a conversion will doubtless alarm SACD purists on principle, SMR’s resident technical encyclopedia, Andre Yew, claims the crossover from one high resolution format to another is potentially facilitated by DSD’s design: “DSD was designed originally to archive Sony/Columbia’s recorded legacy, and to be easily decimated to any conceivable PCM sampling rate, so they’d just have to do one analog to digital conversion for their entire catalog, and then decimate appropriately as different PCM distribution methods came to market.”

Of course, whether Pioneer’s implementation decimates or preserves the audio quality of SACD sources remains to be heard. What’s in no doubt, however, is that the entry fee for a little toe dipping in both formats will get dramatically more affordable. For around $250, Pioneer also plans to also offer an “upmarket” DV-663 version that adds HDMI output A no-frills version, the DV-463, will offer neither SACD, DVD-Audio nor on-board bass management. On a hopeful note, although the dreaded words “chroma bug” are still not part of Pioneer’s official vocabulary, Gary Bauhard acknowledged the company has been evaluating MPEG decoders. [Philip Brandes]

2. RetroSmith

Whats HDMI output? Anybody know?

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

High Definition Multimedia Interface

http://www.hdmi.org/index.asp

Basically an all-in-one digital interface.

4. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I'd like a cheap universal player. Mainly for the home theater setup and plus do the multichannel audio. I refuse to get serious on the mulitchannel stuff. Its expensive enough just for the stereo. But a cheap player would fit the bill for the occasional fun fling with multichannel.

5. RetroSmith

cool, thanks. Might have to get that one. Somehow, I think it might be possible to extract the high res mix to PC....

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Mikey, I posted about the exact same player last week here and it disappeared. Not only that, the new Crutchfield catalog says it is available NOW!

7. RetroSmith

Hey Grant, I checked out Crutchfield, they wont have it till August 1st.

I'm sure they will sell a BOATLOAD of these things. The progressive scan makes it a great Video player, which is important to many people.

I have no doubt that the lack of posts is because people here on SH see that this player does the DSD to PCM conversion, and for some reason these people immediately dismiss the player. I still dont know why. I bet 99% of 'em would not be able to tell any difference in sound in a blindfold test of pure DSD or DSD converted to PCM.

8. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Actually, most people that I have auditioned DSD to can, infact, tell the difference when played in a A/B setup.

Stand alone.. they can not tell...

One of my fun little experiments at the house when guests come over...

9. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

do you know where it says this player converts dsd-> pcm. I talked to someone at AudioAdvisor last week and he said that the specs were not out yet, so this talk about converting to pcm could possibly be just speculation. Do you know where I can get any info? I know sometimes these units are released overseas first. maybe that's where people are getting the specs from.

10. RetroSmith

Specs

>>>>>>Well, the Pioneer people should be able to tell you, but its 99.9% certain that it does the conversion. Thats the only way to get SACD and DVD-A at this kind of price point.

11. Grant

I'm wondering about this too. I'm wondering if this DSD-->PCM talk is coming from the fact that is is incredibly cheap. I haven't read anything about this. Can someone point to me to some credible info?

In other words, i'm wondering about any degredation caused by any possible conversion.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Folks, if you are serious about SACD, get a Sony machine that is really DSD. Anything else is pointless.

Do this test. (I assume you have the SACD of Creedence "Willie & The Poor Boys"). Go to your high end stereo store and listen to JUST THE ECHO SEND at the beginning of "Fortunate Son". Notice how on the SACD layer you can hear exactly where the echo goes, how long it lasts, etc. This is more blurry on the CD layer. Now that you know what to listen for, compare a cheap player that does not do straight DSD to a player that does using this song. Hear the difference? That's RESOLUTION. Though the tonality is the same, the resolution (the ability to hear "into" the recording) is heightened with the DSD machine. Now, if this is something that floats your boat, save your nickels. If not, no harm done!

13. RetroSmith

A/B test

>>>>>>>Well, maybe it sounds DIFFERENT somehow. I just dont think it could really sound worse.

14. Grant

Thanks Steve. I do not have the CCR disc, but I do understand resolution and what to listen for because I work with a DAW and high bit-depths. Is there anything I can use on your Zombies hybrid?

We shall see what this little player is capable of before I decide on it. Of course, the fact that it does both SACD and DVD-A is attractive to many of us who can't really afford to get the premium of both.

But. we shall see...

Besides, there isn't a single high-end place anywhere within 300 miles from here.:mad:

15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Steve, do all Sony machines handle DSD with no conversion to PCM? I own a Sony (DV-NS900V), and would like to buy another one... surely, I wouldn't want to buy an inferior product.

TIA!

16. krabapple

krabapple New Member

After a cursory look, I still don't see whether this will pass SACD and DVD-A digitally.

Anyone know?

17. krabapple

krabapple New Member

And *especially* due to having been told what we should hear, it's important to do the comparison *blind*...in other words, to not know which of the two players you're listening to during the comparison.

18. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Your test compared 'pure DSD' players to DSD-->PCm player, or was it a comparison of SACD vs Redbook layers?

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Same here. 24/96 is no competitor for real DSD. Even my friends' girlfriends (who care nothing of this stuff) can tell a difference in blind A/B tests.

20. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Oh no..the dreaded 'even my wife/girlfriend can hear it' post.

:D

IIRC you have access to recording studio stuff, yesman, so would I be right to assume you are referring to your own recordings done in either DSD or hi-rez PCM, where the only difference was the final encoding? And were the tests blind or double-blind?

'No competitor' is a very strong claim, and I rarely see reference to having done ANY sort of controls (thank you!), otherwise I'd hardly bother asking.
    As it stands my fingers are crossed that this doesn't get gorted.

21. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Steve-
    Do you know the guy who did that SACD master???:D

Seriously though- this is the one of your SACD's that I have(only one that Tower had in stock!) and was absolutely amazed! The tonality and breathe is fantastic. Hell- the redbook layer alone blew away most anything else. Played back on my Sony 775 is heaven.

I now work less than 8 miles from a Tower, and haven't been there since I bought Willie...Poor Boys(in January). Me thinks its time for another visit, as I'd love to find CCR for Suzy Q.

Chris

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Boy, that's some kinda self control - after hearing that one SACD, I'da thunk you woulda burned tracks and gotten the rest!!! :thumbsup: Get online and order the rest ASAP...

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So, Steve for those of us who are/will be shopping for an SACD player, what are the functions that we should be looking for?

thanks

24. RetroSmith

I'd like to know if Steve thinks the 45a , which is supposedly true DSD, is a good player for SACD.....

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's a great bargain.

Can someone recommend $200 speakers and a $150 amp to make a complete high-rez system? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.