SACD fundamentally flawed?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WVK, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

My ICMB bass management box (analog) notes that if you employ timing alignment first it will throw off the accuracy of the box's ability to perform accurate bass management.

One day we will see HDMI interconnects from our SACD players into a receiver that can perform accurate bass management and time alignment in DSD mode. For now the ICBM is the best toy I have found.

Richard.

2. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

As far as I know, if the Pioneer 563A (565A in Europe) has all speakers set to large and LFE to 'on' there is no bass management at all and there is no DSD to PCM conversion, just straight DSD to analog.

In the 563A's lab test PDF from Sound & Vision I read, and I quote, "speaker-distance compensation is available for all types of discs -- even SACDs! --"

just for the sake of comparison, in the Marantz 6400 lab test when talking about speaker adjustment they say, and I quote again, "Then again, no amount of adjustment can make up for the player's lack of speaker-distance compensation during SACD playback, which seems to be the rule rather than the exception among SACD players."

As far as the ICMB bass management box goes, I don't think one would have a problem using it with the 563A. All you have to do is set the delay times to '0'.

3. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Well, sure. Then you aren't actually using time-delay. :)

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Would it not be better to have more suitable speakers correctly arranged and avoid this processing?

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Duh, that sounds logical to me.

6. ptaheldaoud

ptaheldaoud Forum Resident

It depends what you define as suitable. There are sound technical reasons for using a sub/satellite system with the crossovers set at 80Hz, especially in a dual purpose music and movies set up.

There's a good explanation here:

http://128.121.62.219/volume_9_3/feature-article-multiple-crossovers-9-2002.html

Also a lot of multi-channel mixes are made using THX PM3 studio monitors and subs set up according to ITU specs:

http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/surrounded200307.htm

Will

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Will,

They have figured out time alignment for DSD as of a year or two ago. I believe there was some discussion on Sony's Oxford pro products site. There is also discussion with the new 9000ES. I will try to find a source for you.

8. ptaheldaoud

ptaheldaoud Forum Resident

Lee

Even if they have figured out time alignment for DSD, and it becomes the standard for Hi-Res music, what happens to all the legacy equipment which is based on PCM? Would all the people who have invested in systems from the likes of Lexicon, Theta and Meridian, not to mention the mainstream brands such as Denon, Pioneer and Harmon Kardon have to chuck it all out and start again or miss out on the benefits?

Will

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They buy new gear to supplement as many studios have done. Check the news articles on High Fidelity Review...there are many major studios that have bought DSD workstations and many that have upgraded as more channel capabilities have been added.

There is always technical changes for the consumer. Consumers who bought receivers based on PCM can (1) start over or (2) use PCM conversion in existing systems. The better option is one but it all depends on what that consumer thinks. For the generally wealthy or serious niche market that hirez likely represents over the near haul, this is not a big issue.

Just think about hidef video...consumers have to buy either a BluRay or HD-DVD player to see hidef format movies soon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.