SACD Newbie Help Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Reamonnt, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    I picked up a used Sony DVP-NS930V today for 50Euro so I could spin CD's at my Computer set up. I know that I dont need it but I have CD's on my desk all the time waiting to be ripped so I thought it would be nice. I noted it also plays SACD so I whipped out my one and only DSOTM hybrid disc but the player only seems to play it back in CD. It sounds great but having never heard a SACD I was curious. I have it hooked to my stereo amp via rca but its not hooked up as a dvd player to my pc monitor as I think I need a scart to dvi adaptor.

Anyway my question is should it play the Hybrid SACD or not. If not, will it play SACD with no CDlayer? The web doesnt have much on this but it appears there are some problems with dual layers! I would like to hear SACD but they are expensive so I dont want to buy one to find it doesnt play it.

DVP-NS930V Specifications | Sony UK

2. Reamonnt

I see ive put this in the wrong forum sorry.

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

It's tough with it not being hooked up to some sort of tv or Monitor , do you have the Remote & if so is there a way to choose an Audio option ? I use a Harmon kardon Dvd player on one of my systems for SACD playback It usually just kicks in automatically , but there has been times i've had to tell it what to do , but i do that Via it seeing it on the screen in what it's playing .

4. Reamonnt

Hi, I have the remote but pressing sacd/cd or SACD/multi 2cd doesnt change it from CD on the players display. I will have to hook it up to my tv to access menus or order the scart/dvi adaptor will would be easier.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

It's certainly a lot easier with "seeing" whats going on , I also have to wonder if it has to be hooked up through either the Digital out (Coax or Optical) or the Multi 5.1 outputs ........... have you tried the other outputs (provided you have something that would take those outputs ) .

6. Reamonnt

Page 22 of the manual has the following note - SACD audio signals are not output from the digital jack. I took that to mean I could only listen to SACD via analogue but im not sure.

7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes. Not via digital coax/optical output. Only analog (or HDMI which your player antedates).

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just for future reference for anybody reading this: If this sort of thing happens, just hit REPORT and let staff know, and we'll move it for you.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. Reamonnt

Thanks. Its a nuisance not having access to the menus. Is scart from player to DVi on monitor via an adaptor a viable proposition.
    Thank you. Im sorry I didnt know that.

MLutthans likes this.
  10. Further

Further Forum Resident

There may be a setting in the player's setup menu where you have to specify what layer it defaults to when an SACD is inserted.

11. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I believe he said his remote has such a button to switch from CD to SACD.

I don’t know if your player is one of the one with issues but I have seen many posts where a player will stop reading the SACD layer.

Adam9 and PhilBiker like this.
  12. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Page 9 of the unit's manual states that "When playing the HD layer of Super Audio CD discs, the disc type is not displayed." Although this suggests that none of the Disc Type indicators on the display (e.g., CD, DVD, VCD) will light up, perhaps one of them (e.g., CD) stays lit even in SACD mode, making it more difficult to discern if the SACD layer of a hybrid disc is chosen. It's at least apparent from this and the display images in the manual that there is no SACD Disc Type display.

Does your version of the Dark Side SACD have multichannel? If so, try pressing the Multi/2Ch button on the remote after each attempt at pressing the CD/SACD button. Besides being able to hear multichannel when it's selected and playing (if you have the setup for this), the unit's display should also show "multi".

Also, make sure you're pressing these buttons with the player in STOP mode. They will have no effect while the disc is playing.

Looking at setup options in the manual, I could not find a setting to change the default state for an SACD disc, so it appears you'll usually need to use the remote for this (if it works).

Doug

Davidmk5 likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

On my Sony players, the CD must not be playing when you press this button. If you are trying to change-modes during playback, this wont work. I'm not sure if this described your situation or not, but this could be your problem.

It is also possible that this player has stopped being able to read SACDs anymore. This was very common with the Sony DVP-S9000ES, but I have no idea how many of their other models suffered from this breakdown over time.

ShallowMemory and Davidmk5 like this.
  14. Reamonnt

Thanks very much for all the advice. I will hook it up to the tv later and access the menus.

15. Reamonnt

I will have to wait to check it out as I cleverly dumped any scart or composite cables I owned in a big cable purge! Its funny you think you wont need something again but sure enough the occasion arises.

vconsumer and Davidmk5 like this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have a 56-qt. plastic bin and several other smaller containers full of cables, etc. I'm afraid to throw any of them away.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm the same way. Although my cables are in a cardboard box so not as fancy ;). I did finally throw out all of the S-video cables as they really serve no purpose.

Davidmk5 and Reamonnt like this.
  18. Carl Swanson

Yeah, I could make a start with those, and maybe all the composite (not component) video cables.

Reamonnt likes this.
  19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

High-quality composite cables should not be thrown-out because they are supposed to be true 75 ohm cables, and would therefore be perfectly suited to be repurposed as SP/DIF digital audio cables.

Reamonnt likes this.
  20. Carl Swanson

So you're saying I can use that cable in place of the digital coax?

I did not know that.

21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

As noted above, it's worth the effort to visually confirm that you are playing the SACD layer, in order to make a well-informed comparison.

Because the difference just ain't that great.

I only mention it because of the OP's self-described newbie status.

While high-res (PCM or DSD) can sound better than regular old redbook CD, that difference is often highly exaggerated by online reviewers. Good disc mastering / engineering makes a much bigger difference than disc format.

But if your system delivers clear sound to begin with, you do stand a fair chance of hearing a modest improvement. Just listen attentively while keeping your expectations in check.

lance b, Davidmk5, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  22. Reamonnt

I bought a scart today and hooked up a tv but couldnt get the SACD layer to work via settings menus and pressing remote buttons. I have just given up now but the player is doing a great job playing CD's. I also tried it with a dvd and the picture was surprisingly very good for scart. Is there a way of going via scart to my pc monitor (dvi/vga) as my kid has got interested in shiny discs and how they are loaded etc which is cool but I cant figure out if scart/dvi is possible. Thanks to everyone who took time to advise me.

23. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

It's quite likely that the laser mechanism is dirty/worn and won't read the SACD layer of the disc. This happens quite frequently on older players.

24. Reamonnt

Yes I read that on a forum. Is it something that could be cleaned easily or do you need special cleaner?

25. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

As I understand it, the laser assembly needs to be taken apart, which is not recommended for amateurs (like me!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.