SACD Redbook: Audible Errors on an Accurate Rip

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mr. Explorer, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan Thread Starter

I tweeted @ the Acoustic Sounds account (best I could think of and got a reply that they’ll investigate: Acoustic Sounds on Twitter

In my tweet I only mentioned the redbook layer (all I knew at the time) but it should hopefully get the ball rolling for the whole thing

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

From the Acoustic Sounds website. Maybe the digital master used has flaws? What does the vinyl AP release sound like?

“The ultimate pressings of the Beach Boys discography from Analogue Productions!

Original mono mix produced by Brian Wilson

Stereo mix produced by Mark Linett under the supervision of Brian Wilson / Mixed by Mark Linett. Pet Sounds was mixed from an assembled digital multi-track master that synced the original 4 track master instrumental with the 4 or 8 track vocal overdub master. The stereo mix was mixed to 15 ips 1/4" analog tape with SR noise reduction.”

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. Mr. Explorer

I’ve never heard any AP vinyl, but on my 2 Capitol CDs of the stereo mix these problems aren’t there

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Just curious if you ever got this resolved, as the new Steppenwolf Hits SACD by AP has an error on the redbook layer on one of the tracks. Couldn't call Acoustic Sounds today, as it was a holiday.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’m curious too. This seems like too big a screwup to not address, and apparently now it’s a repeated issue? What is going on here...

6. Mr. Explorer

@George P @MrRom92 sorry I never noticed these replies!

I followed up on this in a Beach Boys thread and basically Acoustic Sounds told me that the problem is in the master (which doesn’t seem possible to me) and that they aren’t going to fix it because (to paraphrase) “we don’t do digital alterations and trickery”. They offered me a refund but since I didn’t buy it from them that was an empty offer.

George P likes this.
  7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sounds like it was in the master alright… their own digital master. Something like that should’ve never left the test pressing stage. :shake:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It's a defective disc. I'd return it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.