SACD redbook layer vs SACD layer question on Marantz SA-8004/FN

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marcfeld69, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

O.K. This may end up being the shortest thread ever but since I bought my Marantz I've been disappointed by the fact that I can't

1. hear any discernible difference between the redbook layer and the SACD layer on hybrid SACDs (I don't have many, mainly Stones,) and

2. almost as much irritated by the fact that I can't switch smoothy from one layer to the other. When I load an SACD, it registers as exactly that, so I'll play that layer, but if I want to hear the redbook layer, I have to go back to the beginning of the track. That's not good enough for comparing. Does anyone here have this player and they know a way to switch smoothly so you only lose a few seconds and can directly compare the layers? Or would I need a higher-end player for that?

2. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I've never had an SACD that can switch layers on the fly. Not to say it might not exist, but technically I can also tell you that's not a fair test. DSD will present at the DAC with a different transient level, IME. So, the only actual way to compare in some kind of blind a/b switching scenario it is to have two players, two discs, and an analog level matcher that gets done ahead of time.

You're not alone in not hearing a discernable difference. Particularly using an elderly recording that was bad sounding FOR it's time as the source. You ever watched an old 70s sit com on a 1080p display? Looks no better....arguably, it looks worse in terms of perception/expectation. But, you couldn't show HD content on an old analog CRT. These "let's remaster old stuff to sell a new format" is like someone saying "buy this 1080p display and BluRay and rebuy the Three's Company boxed set on BluRay". No one would. But, no one thinks that sounds like a good idea.

...yet, both in 2000, when SACD was heir apparent....and over the last few years of high rez file downloads....they're making the same mistakes. High rez that's old. High Rez that's loud. Sometimes both.

Holy Diver and marcfeld69 like this.
  3. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. That's kind of a relief. The only thing I held back was that I do have the 2002 DSD BB CD/redbook, so I can switch from that going into the same amp at the same time as the SACD (circumventing the need to switch to the redbook layer on the SACD disc). But you have a point about the original and the updated format. The more I read about BB, the more amazed I am that it ultimately doesn't detract from the great-sounding music itself.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.