SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is the time to rip a SACD the same with a PS3 and the Oppo?

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Dunno for sure but I think so. I use the PS3s with an i7/Win10 laptop in my apartment and a 103 with a MacBook Pro in the house and the transfer bitrates are similar.

superstar19 and Bill Mac like this.
  3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I found that ripping with the Oppo was quicker using a PC vs. Mac. I haven't done one for a while but I think it only took 15-20 minutes per disc.

4. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I'm an IT guy and this is giving me a headache...

I've been following Black Elk's post on page 3. I'm at the step where I just need to run the command from the computer to begin ripping. I am using Windows 10.

My BDP-80FD is set to a static address of 192.168.1.116 and the network info confirms it is at that address.

When running in the Command Prompt I always get the following:

D:\Music\SACD>.\sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.116:2002 -P -I
    Failed to connect
    libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.116:2002 for reading

I get the same message from ISO2DSD. It should be noted I'm connected via ethernet and have tried turning Windows Firewall on and off.

Earlier, I was able to get it to start running but sacd_extract.exe would become unresponsive and force close. I've tried sacd_extract.exe from both the Github and Dropbox links that Black Elk's useful post has. Any tips?

5. HanowarHAIL

Kyhl and Bill Mac like this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Hmmm, seems like a pretty narrow time range. Do you find the time frame similar for a stereo only disc vs one with a MCh program?

7. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Haven't really looked at that. I only have 30ish SACDs and most are multi/stereo ones.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I find the time can vary depending on 1) whether it's 2.0 only or 2.0 & 5.1 (for obvious reasons), 2) the length of the material, and 3) what encoding was used. I've never really kept track, but I'd say the range for me is 15-40 minutes using a Playstation and a thumbdrive.

9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I received my BDP-80FD yesterday and I'm not able to get any ripping going via the command line nor the iso2dsd gui interface. I can see my player on the Windows network, but when I go to run sacd_execute, it crashes. The posts on the Computer Audiophile forum are all over the place so I'm still trying to de-bug what I may have done. I'm running Windows 7 & have the BDP connected via wifi. I've followed the BDP dropbox instructions posted earlier and have the BDP160 Autoscript files. When I power up my BDP with the USB inserted, the tray doesn't automatically open as described in the dropbox directions also. Wondering if either of you may have some tips. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I don't recall the tray automatically opening automatically but I'm out of town on business for the next 12 days. Haven't tried or used iso2dsd. My ripping was very slow across the wireless network so I bought a cheap network switch at MicroCenter and directly connected the PC and BDP-80FD and fudged some static ip addresses into the network interfaces of the player and the PC.

Are you absolutely sure that on the command line your feeding "sacd_extract.exe" the IP address that was assigned to the player by your wireless router?

From your PC command line can you ping the player with the IP address that was assign by your wireless router? If not then you have network connectivity problems.

11. HanowarHAIL

Just to verify:

The USB drive is formatted to FAT32, you copied the AutoScript folder from the SACD-extract-BDP160.zip to the root of the USB Drive, and do you have Disc Auto Playback and Last Memory turned off in the Playback settings menu? Also are you using the version of sacd_extract.exe that is in the same zip archive?

sacd_extract.exe would crash for me when I was using the incorrect AutoScript folder from another zip archive.

12. superstar19

I get the following message which I guess isn't encouraging?

Pinging 192.168.1.111 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.116: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.111:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

13. Drew

Drew Senior Member

What subnet mask are you using on the wireless network interface on the PC? Try 255.255.255.0

14. superstar19

* USB FAT32? No, Windows 7 does not give me the option to format to FAT32. However, in the Computer Audiophile forum there were comments that exFAT works.
    *Using SACD-extract-BDP160.zip Autoscript folder in root of USB drive? YES
    *Disc auto playback and last memory turned off? YES
    *Using sacd_extract.exe in the same zip archive? Yes, and I have made sure that the cmd file was updated with the correct IP address that my router assigned.

15. superstar19

Yes, that's what comes up for the subnet mask in network properties.

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Is the PC your using also connected to the internet thru wireless? Try turning that network interface off in Device Manager and pinging your players ip address.

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I was confused... Turning of your network interface in Device Manager would make you lose connectivity to your player. I was thinking in terms of my setup where I connected to the player with an ethernet cable. I had to turn off the wireless to get it to work.

You definately have a network issue... Does the PC have multiple network interfaces? Turn them all off except the one your using for wireless.

18. superstar19

My PC is connected to network/router via LAN. Player is connected to the router via wifi.

19. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I assume 192.168.1.116 is the router to which your PC is connected and is serving as the gateway, thus your PC's network config should show 192.168.1.116 as the gateway. Does your BDP-80FD's network properties also show the same gateway IP address? Verified that the BDP-80FD still is assigned to the same 192.168.1.111 IP address? Subnet mask shown in the player should match what your PC has.

If all this matches up, I would suggest trying a wired connection, even if necessary to move the player to a location temporarily where you have wired access. Connect to the same router / gateway to which the PC is connected.

Doug

20. superstar19

Thanks.

192.168.1.116 is my PC hardwired to the router via LAN. 111 is the BDP connected to the router via wifi.

I changed to a USB drive formatted FAT32, and I was able to successfully PING as well as I notice that the player drive opens when powered on with the USB engaged.

Pinging 192.168.1.111 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.111: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.111: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.111:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 1ms

But when I run the sacd_extract, I immediately get a Windows error box "sacd_extract.exe has stopped working".

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I would really love to know how to, exactly, rip an SACD, using a MAC and OPPO and so I ask a favor to those who are posting ...

Is there the slightest possibility, once you computer guys completely figure out how to properly rip a SACD, using a MAC computer and an OPPO, as this thread title suggested, that you could highlight what page and post it appears? To a non-computer geek like myself, reading this thread so far is making me dizzy at best, with all of the "Windows" and other sidebar chat sneaking in. If it helps, I have two Macbook Pro's (2011 and 2017) and a OPPO BDP-Special Edition 83 and BDP-95, if those are compatible?

THANKS!

PTgraphics, SamS and gammarayson like this.
  22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

It is not possible with those Oppos.

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Good to know, thanks for the info! I'm considering buying the new OPPO model, (sorry don't have the model number handy), but would it work for this?

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you check out the link below the first post lists the players that have the specific chip set needed to rip SACDs. For Oppo players it would be the 103/103D and 105/105D.

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

Chris C likes this.