Sade (Shar-Day) "Diamond Life" Cd 1985 Portrait/CBS Is this the one to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Marlowe, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Swiss for US Silver does contain the full length (Chatter) Smooth Operator, track time on the back is incorrect
    Thanks for the info guys :cheers:

2. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

I've edited that section down to a 20 second clip from the Epic CDEPC 26044 UK CD I own.
    This doesn't like a glitch to me, but rather perhaps the timing of voice and cymbal just not working so well together - ie. a performance issue. It definitely doesn't sound like any defects in the engineering side of things.

Download the 20s LPCM WAV file here:
    http://www.filedropper.com/sadesohiss
    Note: I only applied non-dithered fade in/out to the file. The important part is digitally identical to the original rip from CD.

3. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

Here is an interesting numerical comparison between two US pressings of "Diamond Life" -- early DADC [DIDP 20135 41A8] and CMU Pitman [1A RK39591 34 C2]:

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Sade / Diamond Life [DADC]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR13      -2.26 dB   -18.41 dB      4:58 01-Smooth Operator
    DR13      -2.32 dB   -18.54 dB      3:59 02-Your Love Is King
    DR15      -1.88 dB   -18.99 dB      6:01 03-Hang On To Your Love
    DR14      -3.06 dB   -20.34 dB      4:38 04-Frankie's First Affair
    DR14      -3.95 dB   -20.37 dB      3:27 05-When Am I Going To Make A Living
    DR15      -0.46 dB   -19.39 dB      6:20 06-Cherry Pie
    DR16      -1.33 dB   -21.51 dB      5:22 07-Sally
    DR16      -3.06 dB   -22.01 dB      4:43 08-I Will Be Your Friend
    DR17      -3.08 dB   -23.21 dB      5:30 09-Why Can't We Live Together
    Code:
    Analyzed: Sade / Diamond Life [CMU P]

DR13      -2.26 dB   -18.58 dB      4:58 01-Smooth Operator
    DR13      -2.32 dB   -18.71 dB      3:59 02-Your Love Is King
    DR15      -1.88 dB   -19.14 dB      6:01 03-Hang On To Your Love
    DR14      -3.06 dB   -20.48 dB      4:38 04-Frankie's First Affair
    DR14      -3.95 dB   -20.53 dB      3:28 05-When Am I Going To Make A Living
    DR16      -0.84 dB   -19.58 dB      6:20 06-Cherry Pie
    DR16      -1.72 dB   -21.69 dB      5:22 07-Sally
    DR16      -2.59 dB   -21.41 dB      4:44 08-I Will Be Your Friend
    DR17      -2.29 dB   -22.57 dB      5:28 09-Why Can't We Live Together
    For the first five tracks, peak levels match between the two discs. However, RMS levels on the CMU P disc run about 0.15 dB lower. As at least one poster remarked about noise and print through on the US mastering, some noise reduction and/or gain riding might have been applied to the mastering on the later CMU P disc. Then, additionally, the last four tracks exhibit significant differences in both peak and RMS levels

AJ

c-eling likes this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I recently acquired this disc that should be the "best" sounding version based on what was said earlier in this thread: Sade - Diamond Life .

Basically I agree on track 2 t/m 9 being great sounding, but track 1 – Smooth Operator – sounds like it was mastered in a completely different session by a complete different engineer. Firstly it sounds much softer than the rest of the disc, and secondly its EQ seems different (very apparent on the hihats). It really annoys me tremendously, but no one else seems to notice (or at least, not mentioning it).

Is there a dynamic, good sounding (early) disc that includes a Smooth Operator that is more sounding like the rest of the album?

5. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

always thought it was pronounced (shaw-day) but oh well...

culabula likes this.
  6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have never noticed a volume level difference between Smooth Operator and the rest of the album, but there's no denying that the original Smooth Operator sounds more like a demo when compared with the rest of the album. I don't think this is a problem with the disc itself but rather the recording. Maybe it's one of the reasons Smooth Operator was reworked (I still can't tell how much was rerecorded versus just being remixed) before the album came out in the U.S..

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Are you looking for the single edit or the album version?

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

AND, they pronounced it incorrectly at that! It is NOT SHAR-day it is SHAH-day.

imarcq likes this.
  9. Yost

Ideally the version with the spoken intro.

10. Yost

In The Netherlands we were also told to say "shar-day". Although it's kind of a "silent R", you start it, but don't finish the R-sound properly.

11. SKATTERBRANE

Both the original European version and the later re-recorded version has the spoken intro. Some of the later compilations edited out that intro from the US/hit version.

lv70smusic and c-eling like this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

In the US in some parts of New England they pronounce a's as r's and r's as a's. They say Ameriker and watah (water).

StingRay5 likes this.
  13. c-eling

Swiss For US Silver-
    Analyzed: Sade / Diamond Life

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 -2.26 dB -18.41 dB 4:58 01-Smooth Operator
    DR13 -2.32 dB -18.54 dB 3:59 02-Your Love Is King
    DR15 -1.88 dB -18.98 dB 6:01 03-Hang on to Your Love
    DR14 -3.06 dB -20.34 dB 4:38 04-Frankie's First Affair
    DR14 -3.95 dB -20.37 dB 3:28 05-When Am I Going to Make a Living
    DR15 -0.46 dB -19.39 dB 6:19 06-Cherry Pie
    DR16 -1.33 dB -21.51 dB 5:22 07-Sally
    DR16 -2.27 dB -21.23 dB 4:44 08-I Will Be Your Friend
    DR17 -2.29 dB -22.38 dB 5:27 09-Why Can't We Live Together

14. Yost

How does it sound? And what version of Smooth Operator is on it?

15. c-eling

Full length, spoken word Joost, but yes it doesn't sound as 'full' or 'fleshed out' as the rest of the album, probably as you stated, different sessions etc..

Yost likes this.
  16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The problem with the mispronunciation in the US probably originated with someone at the record company with that dialect. Quite surprising, honestly, that they added that incorrect phonetic spelling of her name to the first album. I suppose someone at CBS/Epic thought it would be helpful to US consumers to have Sade's name sounded out, but it ended up causing most fans in the US to mistakenly believe that Sade herself pronounced her name Shar-day.

17. SKATTERBRANE

Yep. And those with the same dialect didn't seem to notice or understand the controversy. I don't see a single damned "r" in "Sade". There are only four ways to pronounce "Sade" as far as I am concerned. SAYD, SAUD, SAY-dee or SHA-day.

18. Yost

If you only consider English, maybe.

StingRay5 likes this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

I considered French and Nigerian too.

20. Yost

The French pronunciation would be "Sa-duh", IMHO.

Plan9 likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

[Posting here since it seems to be the most relevant and recent non-locked thread...]

Can anyone explain why so many people in all the Sade threads seem to prefer the UK/EU Best of CD over the US CD?

I am not talking about the 2000 remaster: I'm talking apples to apples: UK/EU 1994 original vs US 1994 original.

A friend just gave me a copy of the US CD and I'm listening to it now, and it sounds great. I checked the DR database, and the DR levels for the US and UK CDs are nearly identical. The US CD is 1dB higher on the DR meter for tracks 4, 6, and 7. The other 13 tracks have identical DR ratings on the US and UK CDs.

Unfortunately the US entry in the DR database doesn't included a detailed log (which would show exact peak values and RMS values for each track. But with only 3 tracks out of 16 varying in DR, and by only 1dB each, it's extremely likely that these CDs are identical sonically, with perhaps a slight level shift and/or some slightly different cue points between tracks resulting in the small DR meter differences on those three tracks.

Certainly both are based on the same 1994 Ian Cooper/Metropolis mastering.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I will rip my US copy soon, but I'm enjoying it too much to stop it before it's over right now. :)

22. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

"Diamond Life" CDEPC 26044 has two CBS/SONY Japan for Europe masterings -- though they are just basic level shifts of one another. The second also corresponds to the Japan 32DP and some/all later DADC Austria pressings.

My comments and levels from the second CBS/SONY Japan for Europe pressing:

second Japan for Europe pressing/mastering, +0.60 dB level shift to coincide with 32DP; DIDP-10135 31A3 +++++ neat font; no hub stamp; MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY INC. IN JAPAN; Made in Japan by CBS/Sony Distribution; Printed in Holland; ALSO AVAILABLE ON COMPACT DISC early list in booklet; no barcode

Code:
    Analyzed: Sade / Diamond Life [CDEPC 26044; CBS/SONY Japan for Europe]

DR12      -7.92 dB   -22.38 dB      5:00 01-Smooth Operator
    DR15      -1.50 dB   -19.69 dB      3:59 02-Your Love Is King
    DR16      -1.79 dB   -19.65 dB      6:01 03-Hang On To Your Love
    DR15      -1.90 dB   -20.42 dB      4:38 04-Frankie's First Affair
    DR14      -4.05 dB   -19.92 dB      3:25 05-When Am I Going To Make A Living
    DR15      -0.31 dB   -19.21 dB      6:19 06-Cherry Pie
    DR16      -1.31 dB   -21.43 dB      5:21 07-Sally
    DR16      -1.01 dB   -20.33 dB      4:44 08-I Will Be Your Friend
    DR16      -2.05 dB   -21.50 dB      5:29 09-Why Can't We Live Together
    Code:
    Track Peak [ CRC32  ] [W/O NULL]
     --   96.5 [64C269F6] [6C9B6496]           
     01   40.1 [C908CDC4] [649A18D5]           
     02   84.1 [5E27D4E3] [C4114C3A]           
     03   81.3 [F984FA1D] [B7BE84EF]           
     04   80.3 [98D4713F] [F9DB8F89]           
     05   62.7 [D0260644] [F0A1F84D]           
     06   96.5 [1C159D8F] [E6244D88]           
     07   85.9 [E1A863E7] [220ADF7B]           
     08   89.0 [03E68FE5] [C026CB4E]           
     09   78.9 [83C84C83] [C205BB0C]   
    AJ

23. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

The European release , specifically the one pressed in Austria, has a slightly warmer mix which some might prefer. But the biggest difference is the Smooth Operator track, It the original mix. The US release uses a remix that aired on the radio.

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Update to my post above on the US vs UK versions of The Best of Sade. I ripped my US copy and the DR numbers exactly match the UK CDs up at the DR database - and they do not exactly match the DR numbers of the other USA CD on the DR database. That one differs from my copy and the UK copies by 1dB on tracks 4, 6, and 7.

Curiously, my US CD, while having identical DR numbers to the UK CD, has slightly different peak and RMS numbers - but it's not a simple level-shift. For some tracks, my US CD is level-shifted 0.20 or 0.21dB upward. For other tracks is 0.1dB upward. For others it's tiny, like .04dB - sometimes upward, sometimes downward. And for some tracks the RMS and peak levels on my CD are shifted by very slightly different amounts relative to the UK CD - for example the RMS on a track on my CD might be 0.1dB higher than the UK CD, but the peak level might be only 0.03dB higher than the UK CD.

Very strange, but IMHO almost certainly the identical mastering.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You're right. I have the first mastering (DIDP-10135 11A4 +++++).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.