Safe to Break In AN-E Spe HE's With SS Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Donivey, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harby

harby Forum Resident

I can't tell if they are putting tongue in cheek, or really looking for people who would believe some of the claims:

The IsoTek Full System Enhancer not only burns-in and demagnetizes, it rejuvenates your audio system allowing it to function at its optimum level.

What your equipment needs is a good aerobic workout with some nice taut stretches and bends! In electronic terms, the required signal features a lot of high-speed activity coupled with some high-amplitude excursions. All of the signals in the new Iso-Tek disc have been produced according to strict mathematical criteria so as to place the greatest stress on the important parts of a system, without endangering any part of it. All you need to do is play the IsoTek Full System Enhancer at normal listening levels (volume control set at your normal listening position). Raising the volume level higher will not improve the disc’s performance or make it work any faster.

This disc transforms the performance of any system; a haze will be lifted and you’ll hear deeper into every recording. This disc is also an excellent choice for anyone with a new component that needs to be broken in, as it can save over 50% of the break-in time.

or

Developed by Cardas Audio in conjunction with Ayre Electronics, the IBE disc helps with system burn-in, and also has the ability to remove built-up magnetism from your components and even your cables. Play the disc once and you will understand why we have sold thousands of these. You will hear an added sense of clarity and ease from your system -- even a portable player or car stereo. We don't completely understand how it works, but trust us, it does.

This disc is designed to enhance the listening enjoyment of your audio system. Consisting of 7 tracks, the main tool is the final track: a five-minute glide tone, that when played through your system at a moderate listening volume, will improve your system's sound. The theory is that this sweep will demagnetize residual fields that build up in your components over time, similar to the sweep function on the Cardas Sweep LP.

Copper can't be magnetized, so "developed by Cardas Audio" lets me know they are full-on pitch men. Especially the white noise tracks are not good for burn-in: the energy is primarily dangerous high-frequency, and the tweeter is not where we want to focus our efforts.

Sold thousands? I'm hoping that is just an argumentum ad populum sales pitch. I'll burn a CD and you can specify whatever tones you like, although the flac file linked earlier, which you can enjoy for free, I actually engineered for general burn-in a while ago, removing below-port-tuning frequencies, and having a total spectral content similar to the expected power handling (could also flip the phase of one channel so you don't have to flip speaker cables.)

If specifically breaking-in the woofer and one understands and monitors its parameters and capabilities, you can drive it with modulated tones below the port frequency, where it is unloaded, doesn't take much amp power or heat to move it to full excursion, and running out of phase (or out of the enclosure) it won't make much noise.

Or one could just get a Techmaster PEB bassgasm CD from the pawn shop $1 bins.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The guy didn't need to turn the volume so loud. And...the second time proves he is an idiot. I don't think speaker manufactures recommend this kind of break-in.

I broke in my Wilson's by just playing music. I did put the tuner on and let it play while doing other things. According to Wilson Audio they break in the drivers for 50 hours at the factory.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ken Stevens of CAT told me the same thing.

4. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Truly one of the best posts! On a more serious note, the one concern about using a solid state amp in the AN (or any other speaker for that matter) is you don’t want to turn the volume up so loud that the amp clips. When a ss amp clips there is a high level spike that can burn out a tweeter. Ironically a high power ss amp can actually be safer for your speakers than a low power amp.

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Buy speakers you like the sound of. Take them home hook them up and listen to them enjoying the music. Over time there will be an improvement do to many of the factors spoken of here. You most likely will never notice them as they are very gradual but you will notice your enjoyment increase over time as well. That is break in.

basie-fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.