Sales figures for SACD DSOTM?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Well it's been a week since the greatest album of all time was released on SACD. I know that Billboard doesn't publish the previous week's sales figures until Thursday or Friday. I'm guessing the DSOTM will be #1 in the Pop Catalog album charts. What I'm after are the exact sales figures for DSOTM. I'm curious exactly how many people bought this album.

Has there been a press release yet?

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

#19 is a respectable showing for an album that has sold so many copies in the past, and was released in 1973!

I'm wondering how many people bought it for the SACD layer. It could be an important statistic for the success of SACD...

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

# 19 isn't bad. I noticed that Beatles 1 was #2.

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Do you guys remember when DSOTM and Tapestry were on the charts for years and years, piled up huge numbers, then were relegated to the "calalog album" chart when that came out?

I always thought that was a bit unfair, although I can understand why they did it. Those LPs would have stayed on the charts for MUCH longer, along with other "catalog" titles, and racked up even bigger chart numbers if they catalog chart never came out.

Many albums on the catalog chart sell more copies than albums in the TOp 200.

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

#19 is quite good. I too wonder how many folks bought the disc for the SACD layer.

8. wes

wes Senior Member

Probably not many......I'll bet most bought it because of the new cover......But, maybe they'll notice the SACD logo and look into the technology eh?

-Wes

9. RDK

RDK Active Member

It may be mere semantics, but I'll bet that more people bought it for the 5.1 surround mix than they did because it's SACD. Think about it.

10. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I don't know what people in this thread are on about, but #19 is TERRIBLE. It was #20 just the week before, and that was THE REGULAR OLD CD ISSUE! Moving up one space is hardly reason to break out the champagne, and it certainly is no great boost to the SACD format.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But you can't get the surround without the SACD player!

Perhaps they did blunder a bit when they advertised the 5.1 and didn't make it clear that it was SACD?

Sony and the rest must EDUCATE and PUSH SACD education on the public so they will know!

12. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Actually that's the chart position for the previous version. You can tell by the catalog number. The new SACD version carries a different catalog number.

13. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

I doubt the sales numbers would be very good at this point, as availability on the shelves seems to be very poor. I could not find a store in Colorado that got more than 2 copies the first week of release, this includes the big box places like cicuit city.

14. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I hear ya man! No one had it in my area yesterday, but BB and Borders did today. Target didn't even have it today!!!!!!:(

15. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I agree. DSOTM would usually linger in the Top 10 of this chart!

Perhaps Billboard for some reason is *not* counting SACD sales in this chart? Was there a sales spike when AC/DC's Back in Black came out a couple of months ago?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.