DCC Archive Salt of the Earth

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DanG, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

Have the Stones ever released this song? I enjoyed it very much Saturday night from the Concert for New York City. Mick and Keith were in good form. :D

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

It's the closing cut on "Beggars Banquet." Been readily available since 1968.

Great song, on an album crammed with 'em. I didn't see Sat. night's show ... Did Keith sing the first part, as he does on the record?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yup...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The whole thing was great, the Concert for NYC on Saturday, but it was a lot like Woodstock. ;) Nobody seemed to have a "hot" mic, and listening through the monitors, none of the artists could hear squat. Although it was very energetic and looked like everyone had a ball. It must have been frustrating for the artists. The cops looked stoked!

5. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

First Melissa Etheridge's mic went dead, then her guitar went out of tune. Roadies to the rescue twice, and she kicked out a great acoustic Born to Run.

6. Sckott

That she did. I don't think even Bruce could have done it better.

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I thought Billy Joel really sucked at that concert. Everyone else seemed to be in good form. Where were Page & Plant? Seemed like a good time for a mini-Zep reunion.

8. Mike

Mike New Member

Why did you think Billy Joel sucked? I thought he was maybe the highlight. I hadn't heard Miami 2017 in years and really enjoyed it. But the firemen and cops apparently liked The Who the best - the audience was going wild. My question is - where was Bruce? I think it was the "41 Shots" controversy that kept him away. If that's the case, it's too bad.

Mike

9. Sckott

Billy had a cold. He thought he was coming down with a sore throat. If you look, he's drinking as much water as he can between verses. He even walked on with the cup on stage. You can hear it in his voice. Billy's done better, but his "NY State Of Mind" was vital to the energy, and he pulled it off fine.

10. Mike

Mike New Member

Thanks for the info. Actually I was puttering around the house and not really watching or listening closely so I missed that.

Mike

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

The Who were great! Townsend was UNGODLY loud! You could just tell.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm, not on TV he wasn't. I could barely hear him...

Of course, that had to do with live mix, but still...

13. I hear that Warner's Music Video division is working on a multi-CD and 2-DVD collection to benefit the Red Cross & Twin Towers funds, as well as the firemen & police funds. We should see these on store shelves in the next few months, hopefully with much-improved remixes from the multitrack recordings made on Saturday night! :cool:

14. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well, the TV mix was dreadful. How much compression can you place on a live concert, anyway? The amount of compression they used was able to bring out the nuances in James Taylor’s set (MSG being a difficult venue for "subtle" music). During The Who, every dramatic increase in volume seemed to be preceded by a 10 db drop in overall volume.

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Pete looked like he "thought" he was playing LOUD, but with his hearing and the recent mixes/releases from the Who...well...ummm!
    I thought Elton John's voice was sounding better than it's been in a while. A little bit more of his older "style" is creeping through...and a welcome return.

Whoever did the sound mixing was not on their game that night! The audience comes across in nice stereo but the music is less than stellar. I guess I'm not impressed with Melissa Etheridge that much...too much hype for my tastes...Joan Osborne would have been more my style. Just my opinion though...

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I *believe* it's due out from Sony, actually...

Gawd, the compression was terrible. Add that to an already bad mix, and well... The only stereo elements were the audience and some of the cymbal sound. Oh, and the backing tracks. That seems common for this type of thing - I wonder why.

It really sounded like the snare and kick weren't in the same room as the rest of the set...

17. Ian

Ian Active Member

Don't know where they were. I was wondering where George and Ringo were as well. Would have been a prime oppritunity to bring them out or a couple songs.

18. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Does anybody know what happened to Bono and The Edge? They were billed as appearing in pre-show publicity, but then didn't play. Did they get dropped for time reasons, cancel at the last minute or just simply not show up?

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

During the pre-show HV1 aired a taped segment from U2 saying they were sorry they couldn't make it. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm pretty sure if they could have been there they would have...

20. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Thanks, Luke! I didn't bother with watching the pre-show. Guess I should have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.