Samsung Galaxy s5 - DAC questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I have arrived in the 21st century recently with my upgrade from a flip dumb phone to a smart Samsung Galaxy s5. From what I understand, it contains a Wolfson WM5110 mobile 24-bit/192kHz Digital-to-Analog Converter. I have a few questions if anyone out there can help me out with:
    1) how can I confirm what chip is in the phone?
    2) Which music player can I use to play some hi res FLACS?
    3) I have the Squeeze Player software on the phone now to connect to my Squeezebox LMS library. Is that capable of playing his res? Would the files have to be on the phone or can it play hi res via wi-fi or 4G?
    Thanks in advance!

2. liveshowz

liveshowz Forum Resident

3. stereoptic

Thanks - I will look into that one

4. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

I use Media Monkey on my Galaxy Note 4.

stereoptic likes this.
  5. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

PowerAmp is pretty terrific on my Galaxy S5. Plays a ton of different audio formats, and supports ReplayGain:
    http://powerampapp.com

6. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the U.S. versions of the Galaxy S5 use a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and DAC. The international version uses Samsung's Exynos processor and Wolfson DAC.

7. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

+1

What a difference this app makes on my Note 3. A+++

htom and Billy Infinity like this.
  8. stereoptic

I will look into this one!

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I have Poweramp and Neutron on my Galaxy S4 and Iphone. What I read about Neutron is that it works from the root and that can make a difference with quality. Neutron has far more variables than Poweramp. Poweramp is a great sounding app though and I use it in the car because it's gain is higher. Neutron has a preamp section that allows me to avoid clipping and a parametric equaliser that is great for my different earbuds and headphones.

Heck Neutron even allows you to flip polarity. Gotta love that!

stereoptic likes this.
  10. stereoptic

Does poweramp play 96/24 FLACS? I can't find anything on their web page. I've read different things about whether or not the Samsung just downsamples to 16/44.1.
    Actually the SqueezePlay app sounds excellent as well.

11. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I have used Poweramp on several phones and was quite pleased. I was mostly using mp3's but have listened to a few flac files. Don't really listen to the phone that much anymore, a laptop with a Dragonfly & good headphones substain my portability needs.
    I will be back into mountain biking in a month, so I will have to revisit that.
    I have got the S5 & the note 4, both with Poweramp installed. Might have to look into the Neutron, never heard of that one.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

13. stereoptic

Thanks for the reminder, I never loaded poweramp. I will give it a try this weekend.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Something I'm really high on at the moment is using a diminutive Audioquest Dragonfly and a 6" or so USB OTG cable I got for $1 connected to my phone. It adds next to nothing in terms of bulk, but a dramatic increase in sound quality over the phone's line out. Volume is still controlled with the phone's rocker switch, so there's nothing extra to fiddle with. And I have the older 1.0 version, which can probably be had for next to nothing these days. 96/24 as well.

15. stereoptic

I downloaded the free version last night. It sounds very good, and is user friendly. I'll check it out so more this weekend.

Are you using a Samsung? Do you have to change any settings to allow digital out?

16. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I use PlayerPro app on an S5. Play all file types and really like it. Can try the free version.

But, it can throw out some really random album covers for WAV files - is that the same for Poweramp?

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

USB OTG is part of all Android phones at this point, but there might still be a little YMMV. Nothing to adjust in settings. Just plug in the DAC and go.

stereoptic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.