Sansui 800

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by violetvinyl, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. violetvinyl

violetvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a 'Sansui 800' today at a yard sale for $10. There was a speaker fuse holder missing but after replacing it and cleaning pots/switches/nobs/faceplate, she's singing nicely now!...DC offset/bias adjustments to follow. I had assumed it was from the early 80s from the 'look' but after some research, it appears it could be from the late 60s. Is there anyone out there that knows for sure? Thanks.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

bluemooze likes this.
  3. violetvinyl

violetvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to the serial number, it was manufactured in January 1971. I did the bias adjustments and she sounds pretty nice for a '71 with no obvious work done to it; lots of lamps burned out though and the power cord should be replaced. There may be a tiny bit of distortion compared to my Marantz 2252. Most of the caps are pretty good visually and soldier connections still look pretty solid. I may do a recap in the future, once i compile a parts list.

4. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I had a Sansui 5000 in the mid 1970's- as I remember it, it sounded really good. Kind of wish I still had it.

AJH

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just sold my Sansui 500A the other day. While nothing in weight compared to my McIntosh, that damn thing was still a heavy little monster!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.