Sansui P-M7 turntable - problems after stylus replacement, help needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dphilippov, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphilippov

dphilippov Forum Resident Thread Starter

Greetings everyone.
    I have a nice little Sansui P-M7 linear tracking turntable. It has an SV-S303 phono cartridge on board which is fitted with an original SN-S303 stylus. I bought an old stock, still sealed Nagaoka 92-303 compatible stylus and replaced the original one with it. After the stylus touched the groove, for the first few seconds everything was fine but then I noticed a distortion in the left channel. It did not go away, only became a bit louder, so I had to swap back the needles. My suggestion is that the stylus is not positioning itself properly in the middle of the groove, pressing against one side and scratching it, and this is where the distortion comes from. The Nagaoka stylus looks identical to the original Sansui, i.e. no visible difference in the needle placement, no skew, etc. Did anyone of you experience problems like this? Could the distortion be caused by other reasons (bad contact, constructive differences... whatever else)? Any help is kindly appreciated.

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

If it was old stock the material (often rubber) holding the shaft which the stylus is connected to may have failed. It happens. Sorry I don't know the technical terms. Look very closely at the stylus while a record is playing - does it collapse to one side or the other or does it stay straight like your old needle?

I love those old 80s Japanese linear trackers!

dphilippov likes this.
  3. dphilippov

Thank you PhilBiker, this must be the cause indeed. Watching the new stylus as the record was playing I didn't notice anything wrong but I think I should look once again more closely.

4. dphilippov

Thank you PhilBiker, this must be the cause indeed. Watching the new stylus as the record was playing I didn't notice anything wrong but I think I should look once again more closely.

5. dphilippov

6. dphilippov

7. dphilippov

8. dphilippov

Sorry for this attack of the clone posts, my Chrome went mad :-(

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.