Santana "Abraxas" limited lp

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone heard this album? How does it compare to the American
    Columbia "original lp", MFSL gold cd, and other audiophile recordings? Music direct has limited 100 copies. Does anybody recommend this lp?

Featured Recommendation
    Santana - Abraxas 180g LP
    After letting it go out of print a few years ago, Audiophile Record Service from Germany has again produced a heavy vinyl remastering of Abraxas that must be heard to be believed. This may be the best vinyl reissue of a rock record ever! The original album has long been considered one of the most well-produced recordings of all time, but this vinyl pressing brings its sonic glories to new heights. Hear details in album rock classics such as "Black Magic Woman" and "Oye Como Va" you never knew were there! This is an audiophile's dream LP - brilliant sonics AND music. LP, 180g vinyl. $29.99. more...

2. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Stick with the MFSL CD. I bought this German original LP a few years ago based on the same type of reviews as above. It is a very good recording but the vinyl is full of surface noise and pops. and the artwork is washed out.

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Abraxas ARS

My ARS copy was clean and I think sounds terrific. However, if you already have a clean early 70s Columbia don't bother with this one. I have the MFSL CD too, but I prefer the columbia and ARS vinyl.
    Just my opinion.
    BC

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have the Columbia 1/2 Speed Mastered Mastersound vinyl version and I feel that that version sounds very fine. I have compared the 1/2 speed Mastered vinyl to the SACD and the Gold MFSL CD and I feel the 1/2 speed mastered vinyl is a winner in all regards.

I haven't heard the limited ARS version - but I don't really need to buy ANOTHER copy of Abraxas, do I? :D

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Abraxas ARS

....one more thing...don't get near the 180g "scorpio" domestic version.

BC

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Re: Abraxas ARS

Every 180g Scorpio Columbia has been a dissapointment for me. Dave Brubeck's "Time Out", Miles' "Kind Of Blue", the only 180g that wasn't bad so far was the Moby Grape album.

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Scorpios

I must have about 15 scorpios, maybe more....I would say 50% of them are TRASH, 25% just OK and 25% decent. I don't have scorpios "Time Out" or "Kind 0f Blue", but I agree the Moby is a good one. I stoped buying them because they would come with HUGE scratches. I got tired of sending them back.
    BC

8. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

MY Columbia CD is so-so and I didn't care for the DTS mix, but I do like the 2-channel SACD quite a bit.

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the ARS, CBS 1/2, SACD, MFSL CD, Remasted US CD and an early US but NOT 360 pressing (I've been told that 360's exist but have never seen one, anyone here have one?). IMO the CBS 1/2 speed is the best followed by the SACD. The ARS is about equal to the MFSL. If you don't have the CBS 1/2 and want it on vinyl it's a good purchase, because most US pressing are not as good.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just got the ARS vinyl. There were just a few pops and clicks right at the beginning of the album, but the rest of the vinyl was very quiet. The sound on this lp is incredible. I was hearing things I haven't heard before. Very smooth sounding. The mids were really nice on this lp. I highly recommend this lp.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.