Santana - Lotus. I like it.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by schugh, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schugh

schugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many months ago, I picked up several Santana used LPs from an audio dealer for 2 bucks each. I recently read about the reissue of Lotus on vinyl and I remembered I had that copy. The cover is a bit worn out, but wow, the LPs made in Holland are in fantastic shape and dead silent after the first 15 or 20 seconds (that's after I cleaned them).

I've listened to the first two LPs in this set and was wondering why I took so long to get to it. Wonderful music, and it sounds really good.

If you don't have a copy of this music, do yourself a favour and get one and crank it up.

-- Sanjay

2. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Lotus is a killer album. My friend got the 3 LP set when it was released back in the 70s. It blew our minds.

I have a 2 CD version from Europe which sounds good. then I shelled out for the japanese mini-Lp 3 CD version a few years back, which duplicates the original sleeve design. The sound wasn't much different, but they did leave in some 'silence' at the intro that was removed from the earlier CD version.

3. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Me too, got the Japanese vinyl and the Cd as welll, killer stuff.... :righton:

:D

klownschool likes this.
  4. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Yep, me too. The SACD of Caravanserai is still probably my favorite Santana album though.

Lotus on LP had such a COOL cover though!

5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Lotus RUULZ!!!!!

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

7. Apparently the band was never happy with the final mix of this album. I hope Legacy revisits it some time by remixing and perhaps even expanding it

8. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

my fave Santana release!i have the cd, but i've never heard the vinyl.

9. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

Definitely a great album, here is my small review

6th album and the first official Santana live album (not counting the Santana / Buddy Miles collaboration from early 1972, which wasn’t a proper Santana album). Recorded in Japan in June of 1973 (before the 5th album - Welcome - was recorded) and released as a massive 3 LPs album (initially in Japan only), it features the new Santana Mk. II as an octet, with core members Tom Coster (keyboards), Doug Rauch (bass) and Michael Shrieve (drums), supported by several musicians added for the Japanese tour: Richard Kermode (keyboards), Leon Thomas (vocals), Armando Peraza (percussion) and Jose Areas (percussion). All these musicians (and a few distinguished guests) were to take part in the recording of Welcome soon after and the tour was an excellent opportunity to fuse, cement and rehearse the line-up. Although Carlos Santana was a transformed musician by the time this music was recorded, leaving the Latin Rock groove behind and stepping full steam ahead into Fusion and Jazz-Rock, playing live before audiences meant to perform the well known and much loved Santana material from the three legendary first albums alongside the new material. As a result, this album presents to the listener an entirely new outlook at the early Santana material, performed here with a much jazzier edge, creating Fusion per excellence. Carlos plays wonderfully, with his usual melodic feel, but improvises more, which is of course all for the better. The two keyboards players provide the band with a massive sound, with Coster soloing often in Chick Corea’s fashion. The expanded rhythm section is busy at all times driving the music forward. In short, this is everything a Fusion fan might wish to find in an album – over two solid hours of musical bliss, with great tunes and excellent musicianship. Wholeheartedly recommended!

Marc Perman likes this.
  10. Wow, thanks for that awesome Japan clip! Oh you're right about his tone... not to mention his chops! No matter what Santana era one might prefer, his technical ability on the guitar was so much more developped after he had met with John McLaughlin!

There are so many fun musical quotes in Lotus... I guess a full "Name that quote" thread could be dedicated to just the ones they played during those concerts!

11. Good!

The Japan clip of Samba Pa Ti shows that Kermode does that electric piano solo (jazzy, Chick Corea style). So is he also the one who does the other fantastic piano solos (in this incarnation of Santana) that I used to think were from Coster instead?

12. The "audience meditation track" at the beginning has the audience so quiet in there it can be used to check both the LP's condition and the quality of that Dutch vinyl!

Surprisingly, I find this LP not at all uncommon in the Montreal, Qc area. (Dutch version; I don't think I have ever seen the quadrophonic Japan one.)

I got my NM(+) one for 12$ in 2006!

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Lotus booklets have a list of who's playing which keyboard on each track. Yes, Kermode was great (too bad he doesn't seem to have gotten another high-profile gig after leaving Santana) although Coster was also great.

14. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I had this album in the early 80's (Dutch pressing). I didn't really get it at the time. Sold it some years later, only to purchase a used copy this year from a forum member. I definitely get this album now and love it. (Since getting back in to vinyl, I find that I am repurchasing a lot of the great stuff I once had :) )

Marc Perman likes this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Did anyone heard the Speaker corner's set?

16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

This is a great Live set ,and the original Japanese pressing was nicer than that made in Holland one,it added lp size cards to the set(now on the 3 cd mini lp set)
    This is sort of a hard lp for me to rate,Carlos playing is tops,hes a better guitarist
    at this piont,and since this is live,he has many long solos, While the New Band,
    ( this is a new band to the woodstock lineup or the 3 lp lineup ) isn't as tight and
    as good ,Theres no replacment for Gregg Rolie and Dave Brown in the Original
    lineup.

17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The show was also filmed. I'd kill to see a Lotus DVD being released...

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like the Dutch set for sound quality over my Japanese quad SQ copy. The CD used the SQ mix, so a 3 LP set from Holland is (one) best way to go.

19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I don't have the Holland set, but IMO the sound on the on the SQ Japan jumps out of the speakers. My version is minty fresh and clean.

20. Lotus is my favorite live set from Santana. It beats Moonflower hands down.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Any serious rock collector of LPs MUST have this set. This one, as well as Beck, Bogert, and Appice Live in Japan are two of the important ones. I'm not sure BBA every got a stateside issue come to think of it?

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

anyone know if this 1974 LP is the same recording as Lotus, but an edited down Japanese issue?

Attached Files:

23. Interesting! Are there any recording dates given with the track listing?

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Carlos once told me that he hates this album. I had it playing in the store (Pacific Stereo) where I worked at the time. I knew he was coming in, as he visited regularly, and had it on a nice store system. He got upset and told me to take it off. He said "I hear all my mistakes!" I guess I could see his point, but I love the album.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Just scored a nice Holland original (thanks Jeff!) - can't wait to play it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.