Santana LP question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Does the original pressing of Santana's Abraxas have the 360 degree suround sound logo on it? And how good does it sound and is it easy to find? Thanks for any info

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

True U.S. first pressings of "Abraxas" definitely have the "360 Sound" labels. I've seen several, but they are pretty scarce. I can't comment on the sound of these earliest pressings, but I do have a slightly later pressing with the original KC catalog number prefix and it sounds a tad dull, or veiled. Bear in mind the prefix was changed to PC in 1972, so this copy is still a fairly early pressing. The best version of "Abraxas" I've ever heard is the German ARS pressing from a few years ago. If you look around, you should be able to find one. Try Tom Port...he used to carry them. The same label also reissued Santana's debut LP and it was also stunning. They are about $30 each, but worth every cent. Very, very good pressings. :)

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I've never seen a 360 on an ABRAXAS US pressing, but Canada's another matter....they kept the 360 label well into 1971, so that's your best bet. I found a copy of PEARL with the 360 recently, and I'd like to get others, like BS&T 3, ABRAXAS, some others. That 1970 label changeover was unfortunate, as the new Columbia label was as corporate and generic as anything ever issued by anybody. Blecch....:mad:

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.