Santana To Cut Album With The Original Santana Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I am not sure what Greatest Hits you heard, but I guess it was the 1988 compilation. That has Rolie featured on 4 out of 15 tracks, none of which he co-composed or sang lead on. If you want to hear "the sound of Rolie" in Journey you would have to listen to the first three albums: Journey, Look Into the Future, and Next. There he did the lead vocals and took an active part in the writing, same as on the first three Santana albums.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Yes, I recommend listening to the first Journey album or to the "In The Beginning" compilation. The music doesn't have the latin vibe of Santana but somehow one can still feel that it's created by the same artists.
    Starting with the fourth album Journey became a completely different band.
    None of the tracks on "Greatest Hits" are from the first three albums.

3. Yeah I agree with you. Even though they sold a ton of records, us San Franciscans didn't see them as an SF band. Too slick for most of us. But they did have an office right up the street from the big Tower records.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The G.H. Album probably ignores Rolie's biggest contributions which i.m.o. are on the first three albums although he did stick around for a little while after Perry joined and the hits started happening. I bailed after the third album (Next)
    so I don't know a lot of detail about the Perry era band. Rolie was a significant presence in Journey sharing vocals in the band as he had in Santana.

Duophonic likes this.
  5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The first 3 Journey albums are about as far from "Journey's Greatest Hits" as you can get.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Well I take it you don't care for Lotus ,which covers these Fusion year mixed with some Rock stuff done by the second real Santana band , its clear watching and hearing Santana over the years ,that while he can Improvise some what
    He prefers to write his solos ,and that he has a real gift for that ,along with his great tone ,He's influenced by some Jazz Greats like Miles ,but its not stuff like Kind Of Blue ,its more like Bitches Brew and stuff like that
    While he sometimes changes things like phrasing ,he seldom improvises much of his solos ,He writes great solos ,and then preforms them ,
    Just because he plays certain scales ,dosne't mean hes Jazz ,Jazz to me is Armstrong Fats Waller ,Monk,Ellington ect not what we call Jazz Fusion ,As for Nuts ,I was someone Joking, As for Caravanerri ,you don't even care
    for the Rock Stuff on it??

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Personally, after only knowing the early hits, I first really got into Santana through things like Lotus and Love Devotion Surrender and then went back and discovered the early stuff which I also liked. I would be as psyched to see a reunion of the Lotus band though or a tour with McLaughlin.

John Fell likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Unfortunately Richard Kermode, Doug Rauch, Leon Thomas and Armando Peraza have all passed away so a reunion of the Lotus band isn't possible.

John Fell likes this.
  9. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Any fresh rumors about this new album.

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

McLaughlin and Carlos released a live show from Montreaux-I have the BR. Great playing though a little McLaughlin goes a long way with me but YMMV.

11. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

who was it that said Carlos knows one good solo and plays it very well-----endlessly?

12. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

so where does this Santana reunion project stand at this point?....

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Err...see a few pages back, Schon and Shrieve have both confirmed that they are working on it and that they are expecting a CD and tour eventually.

14. belardd

belardd Senior Member

15. belardd

belardd Senior Member

16. I'm surprise that Lotus doesn't get a lot of love. I got it when it came out as a beautiful import in the 70s while I managed a record store.

Love the music the sound and the stunning package. In the late 80s I got Carlos to sign my CD copy at a photo shoot.

17. PNeski@aol.com

maybe now ,but put on Lotus and you will see he knows plenty

Mazzy likes this.
  18. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

on Frank Zappa"s "shut up and play your guitar" album, there is a song---variations of the carlos santana chord progression

John Fell likes this.
  19. PNeski@aol.com

sorry Zappa Fans ,but that's pretty bad

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Caravanserai was in reality new age music before new age music had a name. I don't remember Lotus that well but I remember not being particularly impressed with it.
    I liked the band Santana. The band had fantastic talent involved, it is hard to beat a front man like Gregg Rolie . I liked their extremely creative sound and the songs ( of which their most popular ones were written by other artists).
    Santanas solo albums, they just don't do a thing for me other than what he did with Buddy Miles, which lets face it Buddy Miles would have been hard to do a bad album with, the guy was amazing.

If I am going to listen to guitar players who don't sing I will listen to guys who are FAR FAR better than Carlos Santana at it , like Steve Morse, Danny Gatton, Satriani, Neal Schon whose solo stuff is incredible ( not my style, but amazing), Craig Chaquico and many many others.

Santana the band and Santana the dude are two entirely different things. As I say, just like Alice Cooper the pop singer and Alice Cooper the kickass rock band are two different things.
    Same name, different everything.

21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Rockledge, while you may think Santana isn't that great of a guitar player, he has a tone to die for which is a huge part of the Santana sound, when you hear him play you know it's him, same can't be said for the guys you mentioned above IMO.

old school and John Fell like this.
  22. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Carlos Santana's guitar playing has soul. I can think of many guitarists who are technically better than him but can express only a tenth of the soul Carlos can. In fact, Carlos can do it while sustaining a single note.

Listen to "Samba Pa Ti," for example.

23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It applies to every one of them with the possible exception of Steve Vai, who is essentially a guitar playing robot.
    Carlos Santana has a bit of feel to his playing, it is just that he doesn't do anything all that interesting.
    In Santana he was working with some pretty substantial musicians, so he was doing what he does in a format that had a great deal of expression already.
    All the "feel" in the world means little up against a drab background. Like I say, he has got one hell of a lot of mileage out of Black Magic Woman.
    You want to hear that song with REAL feel listen to Fleetwood Macs version.

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Wasn't a big fan of Lotus either.

25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

awesome version...Ottmar Liebert with Carlos ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.