Santana To Cut Album With The Original Santana Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My very humble opinion and impression from this album is that even though his vocabulary may be limited, CS is (was?) a good improviser, with a great tone and a clear knack for quotes, which doesn't sound to me like it's so easy an art.

And if he was such a so-so improviser who prefers to write his solos, where in heck did he find the courage to measure up to a guy like John McLaughlin, exchange fours with him on a John Coltrane theme, and make an album out of it? (And McLaughlin sure doesn't downplay it!)

No, I haven't heard many of the other guys mentionned in this thread, but I think Carlos was just great, at least in his prime.

rstamberg and John Fell like this.
  2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

He doesn't do that much, ,yes some and yes he even plays some of what I would call jazz on a Lp called The Swing of Delight ,and he evens trades licks with Jazz Guitarist George Benson ,but he's never been a player who improvises much ,and plays his
    solos mostly note for note ,Plus the audience wants to hear what was on the record was

3. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Caravanserai and Welcome are my favorite Santana albums, remarkable work indeed, especially precious given the careerist direction he took after that and has pursued in recent years

rstamberg and ParloFax like this.
  4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Borboletta
    Love Devotion Surrender w/John Mclaughlin
    Lotus
    Illuminations w/Alice Coltrane
    Oneness
    The Swing of Delight
    Blues for Salvador
    Brothers
    are projects/LPs that are fairly not career oriented and contain some stellar work

John Fell likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

From Abstract Logix site

The reunited Santana group may have their new album finished by the end of the week, according to guitarist Neal Schon. He says the group hopes to tour behind the album, though he plans to hit the road with Carlos Santana either way.

“We are wrapping up Santana IV this week,” Schon wrote on Facebook. “Sounds amazing!”

In a later comment, he added: “This record is going to take over the world. I hope management gets it together for us to tour as I WILL tour with Carlos either way. It’s way too happening not to. World domination once again.”

The reconstituted lineup includes the major players from the band’s late-Sixties/early Seventies lineup: Santana, Schon, keyboardist Gregg Rolie, percussionist Michael Carabello and drummer Michael Shrieve. Percussionist José “Chepito” Areas has not been mentioned in reports about the group’s reunion, and bassist David Brown, who played on the group’s albums from that period, died in 2000.

Those seven members were behind the band’s first three albums: Santana, Abraxas and Santana III. The lineup began to dissolve prior to the making of the group’s fourth album, 1972’s Caravanserai.

Carlos Santana confirmed the reunion in February 2013, after Schon mentioned to the media that the two had been working together again. At the time, Santana said he believed the band would have no trouble picking up where it left off. “It will be like Santana IV because we stopped at Santana III,” he said, adding that he expected the album to have an African vibe.

No release date has been given.

rstamberg and old school like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Reunion rehearsals

7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

How do you know that's a reunion rehearsal photo? For the album sessions or tour?
    Carlos is on tour through November, I wonder if there's chance they may join him this time around or wait until next year.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I doubt there will be any overlap of the 2 groups. There are just too many legal and personality hurdles to overcome. The two Santana entities---current vs old---are like 2 separate businesses. Hopefully, though, the results for the reunited group will be worthwhile, but the lawyers are likely working overtime getting it all into place---if it does indeed reach the stage where the reunited group can release an album and tour along with it.

9. Arnold Grove

Greg Rolie is also on tour with Ringo & His All-Starr Band for the whole month of October (2015).

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The caption said it was for the album sessions. I am assuming it was correct since it was posted on one of the Santana Facebook pages. I have seen it on other rock magazine sites as well.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    old school likes this.
  11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Wonder why they're recording a studio album with spotlights... o_O

12. Arnold Grove

Because they all have such big egos that each of them didn't sign off on this project unless they had their own spotlight... ;)

wayne66 and John Fell like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don'y know as it didn't say in the caption where they were rehearsing.

14. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

It looks like Carlos is scheduled for a mostly Vegas stint at least through May 2016. So the new album is just sitting on a shelf?

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, you don't want to rush these things... ;)

footlooseman and Brother Maynard like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Yes. This shelf:

[​IMG]

;)

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I read where the album is complete and that we should see it early 2016. I think that was a quote from Santana or one of the band members. Just a vague recollection so :hide:

18. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Can't wait...are we there yet?

19. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I wll attend as many of these shows as I can......may have to take extended family leave.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Michael Shrieve has posted to Facebook that it is finished. Presumably the label is waiting for the right date to combine with an ad campaign and tour (as well as not conflicting with Schon's tours with Journey and so forth).

21. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised to see a spring release and summer tour, maybe even in sheds if they pair up with the right group. It be very, very easy for this album to be humdrum or worse but I'm definitely intrigued enough to want to hear it. It's a real shame bassist David Brown passed away. His feel and tone were tremendous and a big part of the sound.

22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i'm hoping for a show at saratoga performing arts center north of albany ny rather than the times union arena assuming they make it to my area. last time i saw them at spac was with the allmans.

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Carlos Santana will reunite with Neal Schon, Mike Carabello, Michael Shrieve, Greg Rolie and Jose Ares on March 21 at the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas for their first show together since 1973. The show will also be taped for television. Tickets will go on sale March 14 at 9 AM PT via Santana's website

24. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Double "like".

BluesOvertookMe and Gersh like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Unless there's been a sudden change, I don't think Jose "Chepito" Areas will be there, unfortunately, but it is cool to get confirmation that the others are doing a show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.