Santana To Cut Album With The Original Santana Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Santana IV!

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I was at that '86 show; it was and remains one of the absolute joys of all the concerts I've ever attended.
    First set-current band. Second set-old band. Third set/encore-both bands. The onslaught of percussive rhythms in the encore drove the place to a fever pitch. It was a dancing frenzy up in the lawn section. And yes, this show is out there for the enterprising soul.

It would be nice for Carlos to get back to what he does best, but there have been serious issues between him and the band members; I could see this imploding before anything meaningful gets produced. Hope not!

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I've seen Cindy Blackman play a couple times with Spectrum Road and she was fantastic IMHO.

rgutter likes this.
  4. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

This would be great. But, I have my doubts.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I am hopeful that this will happen and that it will be awesome.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Shrieve was a major influence in the band and if he gets the kind of say that he had in the 70s then this really could turn out to be really something. I'll be keeping my ear close to the ground for any warm up shows. I saw Abraxas Pool at the Fillmore and Chipito was pretty great that night but I seem to have read about his health changing in a bad way. He's not a deal breaker but it would be nice to see everyone together again. If the Abraxas Pool show was any indication of what can happen
    then watch out! They were hot that night and obviously having a ball playing together again. This could be huge.

7. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

This seems like just a rumor right about now. Hopefully it comes true though. I hope Jose Chepito Areas or at least Pete Escovedo (I know he wasn't part of that era) are involved.

8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If it includes the original band, it could very well be good no matter what he does. If it contained all the original members except Carlos Santana it would still likely be a good album and sound like the original band. Contrary to popular belief, Carlos Santana was not by any means who dominated the Santana sound. Santanas first three ( and by far most popular) album were not guitar dominated, and just about any minor scale wanker could have done the guitar work on most of the songs. Santana( the band) was a keyboard/percussion heavy band.
    If you want to hear an album that is that same sound, find a copy of Abraxas Pool if you can. The only thing about it that sounds different than the first three albums is the digital sounding production ( which isn't bad, it isn't hyper compressed) and the fact that Neil Schon is way over the top wankering away. Other than the ablum having too much guitar work on it at times, it sounds just like Santana.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Abraxas Pool CD is excellent.

I remember hearing it on the radio and marvelling at how much it sounded like Santana.
    Rushed out, bought the CD ,saw who was in the band and it all made sense.
    Too bad it was only CD they put out.

10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I'll wait and see and hope for the best.

11. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Here's hoping he'll release this on cd with a greater DR rating than 8, as he did with his latest cd.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, I'm one of those wankers { ;) } and I do like to play minor scales on my guitar, BUT I don't think I could have done what Carlos does on most of the songs on those first 3 Santana albums. We don't have to denigrate Carlos in order to praise Shrieve and Rollie. Arnie

Cassius and robertawillisjr like this.
  13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Actually, I play Black Magic Woman both note for note like the Santana version as well as my own style.
    I like minor scales as well mostly because it is easy to wrap a groove around them without having to think too hard about it.
    But I was not trying to denigrate Mr Santana. I like some of what he has done ( for example the Santana/Buddy Miles live album).
    But he was not the main guy in Santana. That bands sound was very much wrapped up in Gregg Rollies keyboard and Mr Shrieves percussion, as well as the conglomeration of the rest of the band. As well as songwriting.
    Take notice that nothing Carlos Santana did after leaving the band sounds like Santana.
    He did have an effect on guitarists at the time, because he had a unique way of using minor scales. He also is much like Leslie West in that he got a great sound out of a guitar and amp.
    But I think he has gotten a lot of mileage out of his work on Black Magic Woman. I believe his legend is a bit bigger than his actual guitar abilities were.

Carserguev likes this.
  14. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

As long as Rob Thomas stays far far away. :shh: Rolie still sounds great, check him out with Ringo's all stars last year. :righton:

15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Just a little trivia, but it's not a live album. It was completely recorded in the studio with a different line-up. The original show was too bad for an album release.

16. heepsterandrey

I don't man, if they'd go back to the studio wouldn't they have a cut a way better album?

17. Doctor Flang

...or at least NOT use the same audience loop all the time. The original show was a drugged disaster. And there was some technical malfunctions too. An audience recording has been circulated for some time. The album was a transitional period between the break-up of the original band and Caravanserai.

18. Doctor Flang

Sorry about double-quoting, but here's a great article about the Santana/Miles Live! by Jim McCarthy's : http://www.voicesoflatinrock.com/ca...ive-1-1-1972-live-concert-review-40-years-on/

By the way, the Jim McCarthy's book Voices of Latin Rock is brilliant reading for anyone who likes Santana, or Malo, or any of those great latin-rock bands of the 70s. Recommended.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  19. heepsterandrey

Yeah I've got that book. I'm a fan of Latin Rock, as you might be able to tell from my Sapo picture :) I'll check out that article.

20. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Now if we could just hear, "Waters to cut new album with remaining members of Floyd"..."there's no sensation to compare with this/suspended animation/a state of bliss"/katie

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

You don't say??!!
    Tell me more about it, that sounds pretty bogus to me.
    Santana doing a bad show I can imagine, the worst concert I have ever been to was a Santana ( the band just before they broke up) concert.
    But Buddy Miles in a bad show? Hard for me to picture.

22. Doctor Flang

23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I have an old vinyl version of it, and it doesn't sound doctored at all. In fact, it is a bit imperfect. It sounds live to me.
    It is a good album, but it sounds like a soundboard recording that turned out well.
    If it is the doctored version, the real version must have been pretty bad indeed.

24. Doctor Flang

Well, it's a live recording in a sense that it was completely re-recorded live in the studio. It's not "doctored" or "overdubbed", it a re-recording. That also explains why there hasn't been any bonus tracks or anything like that. Ever noticed that the only sound you can hear of the audience is the same 15 second loop all through the album? There is a bootleg circulating in the internet, if you want to compare it yourself.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Saw Santana play with Buddy Miiles at the Berkeley Greek Theater ('85?) - They played for 3 hours, and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.