Santana To Cut Album With The Original Santana Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I think Chepito had some trouble with the law also. Yes, he was (is?) a great timbale player. Hope this "reunion" produces some good music.

2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I have plenty of live Santana from the usual places-some of which has excellent SQ-a partial show from Michigan? 74 comes to mind so agree there should be lots in the vault worth of release.

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Any update on the Santana band recording? I haven't seen anything on Michael Shrieve's FB page (truly honored to be a "friend".)

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe it's been said Marcus Malone will also participate (see the other thread about Carlos's televised reunion with him).

5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

But it seems the 2014 Santana album is not what we were discussing last year.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/santana-corazon-release-date-cover-art/

Corazon,‘ set for release May 6, is the very first all-Latin music album from the guitar legend. It features contributions from ChocQuibTown, Lila Downs, Gloria Estefan, Fabulosos Cadillacs, Juanes, Ziggy Marley, Miguel, Niña Pastori, Diego Torres, Samuel Rosa of Skank, Cindy Blackman Santana, Romeo Santos, Soledad, Wayne Shorter, and more.

Gloria Estefan? Really?

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

it also seems that some of the older would be members are on the road with other bands this summer. that's ok with me since santana are playing an arena in my area this time around with rod stewart. i'd much prefer to see them at the saratoga performing arts center where they played a couple of years ago with the allmans.

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

U got to be f*****' kidding! Another boring former star studded lineup piece of crap. :)

shokhead, driverdrummer and Reese like this.
  8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I'll wait and see and what's wrong with Gloria Estefan? :)

9. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

And she's great on it too.

Wes Larkins likes this.
  11. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Hmmm. THAT is interesting.

I had heard that Carlos was working with most of the original Woodstock lineup (yes, I know David Brown is dead), but this is the first time I've heard that Neal Schon was involved. That makes things rather more intriguing.

I just love Santana III. There were so many top-shelf rock records released during 1971 -- Rod Stewart, the 'Oo, the Stones, The Doors, a dead Jimi and a dead Janis, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, blahblahblah (not to mention killer non-rock efforts from Joni Mitchell, Sly Stone, and Marvin Gaye, blahblahblah) -- but to this day my favorite albums of that incredible year remain The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East and Santana III.

Santana's third record is nine shades of lean, muscular, confident groove-rock. It's my favorite workout CD -- it's great for driving, cooking, tripping, whatever, man. It's just so strong, and it swings throughout.

Neal Schon was a brilliant addition to the band -- lord only knows what he might have done if he had taken Clapton up on his offer to join Derek and the Dominos.

Twin lead guitars were in the air at that time. Green/Kirwan, Clapton/Allman, Allman/Betts -- just some amazing stuff there.

Such a shame that they all flamed out in one way or another. That's got to be my favorite sweet spot in rock music. And Santana III is right at the heart of it.

Good luck, boys.

footlooseman and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

It's interesting the discussion about Greg Rolie and the other key members of the early albums. I did buy those, and then stopped for more than 20 years, perhaps looking for that early sound. However, since Supernatural, I find the albums amazing and I've been told numerous of the them in that long interval were, as evidently many live shows as we hear above. I like the commercial sound of Supernatural and Rob Thomas, etc.. Santana's early hits were very commercial and it's one of the reasons for his fame. I think he is an amazing player and with due respect to his great early band, was the true soul of the music. As good as they were, it just isn't Santana without him whereas the reverse is not true, or not as true. His instrumental CD of a couple of years ago was fantastic and shows some amazing playing and stylistic range. By the way, Latin/African here means the same thing, the Latin rhythms Carlos has always specialized are to him an African an undertone of Spanish American music, the percussive and polyrhythmic side of it; certainly that's always been how I've understood it.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think the news (that most of the band aside from Chepito and the late David Brown would be reuniting, and that it would include a guest appearance from Marcus Malone) has already been shared, but it's good to get a suggestion that the project hasn't died as some people have speculated. I hadn't known that Neal Schon initiated the project though.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I haven't seen anything on Shrieve's FB page and he's pretty active but will keep an eye out.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Well, Carlos is on Live tonight on Yahoo, 11 pm NY time, from Vegas. In an interview he says the album with the original band is 3/4 done, will finish in April. Who knows?
    He also talks about sexual and spiritual awareness, ala Santana!

17. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Santana's current albums seem a tad unappealing: the guests get on my nerves, yet I do like Supernatural, as it was the right mix of guests and Santana. Santana's best guests were, in my opinion, Willie Nelson, Booker T Jones, John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, John Lee Hooker, and Eric Clapton. The rappers and hip-hop guys on All That I Am really put me in an irritated mood.

I think, live-wise, Santana is still a powerful entity, but he really needs to get his act together in the studio. Speaking also of the new, or Cindy Blackman-Santana, wife: she's brilliant on the Spectrum Road album, which was a tribute to Tony Williams.

footlooseman likes this.
  18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I was hoping Mrs Santana would breathe some life into Carlos. I'm a fan of her solo work; she flexes some serious muscle creatively. But I don't sense fireworks in Carlos' albums anymore.

The guest-artist thing has been done to death. Which is why I was looking forward to this reunion (even if reunions generally disappoint me). I'm confident he can still play, and is still a good live act. (I probably haven't seen him in a couple decades.)

But this is a guitarist that used to breathe fire. Not so much now.

19. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I like everything he's done, the last 3-4 albums are marvelous.

20. If they have been recording for a year or more, the album will be stillborn.

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That would include the dreaded "Guitar Heaven"?

Duophonic and GodShifter like this.
  22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

remember seeing SANTANA @ shoreline ampitheater in 96 and mr rolie guested on some songs. obviously carlos was not thinking what i was feeling that where has this guy been all these years.

23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I would rather see Abraxas Pool do another album than see them do a reunion with Carlos rather than Neal Schon.

steve722 likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

But Carlos has said Neal Schon instigated this project.

25. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Neal Schon is part of this reunion though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.