Satchmo on SACD: What 1st?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

It's been bugging me, but I've wanted to snag some Louis Armstrong on SACD.

I have Louis and Ella on Verve's SACD, and the reissue of "WC Handy" I've had on CD for months.

Given that, I'm looking at on SACD:

Ambassador Satch
    Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy
    Satch Plays Fats

What would you get first? Thanks!

2. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Sckott, I've got the "Plays W.C.Handy" and "Plays Fats" on SACD and they sound great to me. Both have a full, warm sound that wears well. They have a presence that many regular cds don't have. I've not heard the standard cd issues of these so I can't compare them but I'd bet they are an improvement. Wish I could say more but try the "Fats" and let me know what you think of it. I've just started listening to Armstrong over the past couple years and he is an eye opener to much music from the past for me.

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Satch Plays Fats. Then Plays WC Handy. Then Ambassador Satch. Just get'em all! :)

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sckott I would suggest the Fats SACD first, then the Handy. The Fats disc has very entertaining outtakes and the bonus of several early-days covers of Waller tunes. Essential. It's chilling to hear Satch's world-weary take on "What Did I Do To be So Black and Blue." This CD by the way had a very tortured (botched) history, happily remedied with the latest remaster and the SACD.

The Handy disc has fab rehearsal takes and a fascinating interview with Handy by producer George Avakian. Handy was present for the studio sessions and I believe passed away shortly thereafter. A great way to discover the music of a great American composer.

I believe these two albums are Armstrong's greatest achievements artistically. The fact that they sound great is a bonus!

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

The standard issue of WC Handy is really amazing, so if the 96/24 was done to SACD I'm sure it sounds a bit better.

The Fats disc sounds like my logical choice. Then I'll get WC Handy and Satch. Thanks, everyone!!

I also heard the Chicago 1962 MFSL. If anyone had any doubts, don't! Possibly the best live Satchmo I've heard in a long time!

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I just bid on all three of the Satchmo SACDs on eBay. Hope I win.

Everybody lay off! ;)

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I can't recall the order in which I bought mine, but I did end up with all of them, and they are most appreciated here.

I think, if you like one, you will like them all and it's just a matter of time. There is not much demand for these and Fry's have them for $14.99.

Regards,
    Geoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.