Saturday Night Fever 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FACE OF BOE, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Boxy and JDeanB like this.
  2. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Dang!!! I would take the unreleased session material any day!!

Grant, Lewisboogie, sewerdog and 2 others like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

damn, that's the only reason I might've bought it.

Rooster_Ties, c-eling and JDeanB like this.
  4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Why is anything unreleased as the biz winds down? Every day, there will be less and less interest. smh.

Dan

MielR, Matthew Tate and JDeanB like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Very underwhelming bonus content - reminds me of the four modern remixes on Bee Gees Greatest a few years ago. Why??

And Blue Weaver was offering unreleased session material? Ugh....

Grant, c-eling and JDeanB like this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I wonder who is going to remaster the CD version. Not long ago Capitol reissued SNF using the mid 90's Polygram remaster that Joe Palmaccio did.

7. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

This is the first album I ever owned -- and this reissue is a big pass for me.

Christopher B, JeffMo and Scottb like this.
  8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Having a look at its DR values this shouldn't sound bad. I think I'll get it.
    I bought a couple of months ago the Reprise remastering and after one listen I gave it to a friends who likes his music as louder as possible. He loves how the Reprise remastered CD sound, for me it's an ear bleeder,not only compressed to hell but also extremely bright, how can masterings like this can make it to shops? My friend says I don't like many of today's mastering as I'm obssesed with "vintage" sound,he tells me all the time "for you if it's old then it sounds good, if the mastering is new, then it's automatically crap". I think it's a cases by case thing, but he doesn't understand it.
    On the opposite side I have a friend who has the MoFi remaster, he hates current overcompressed mastering but he says his MoFi CD sounds good but not great as it's treble shy.

Boxy likes this.
  9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Bah, those bonus tracks are worthless to me. They should have used the single versions of "Staying Alive," "How Deep Is Your Love," and "Disco Inferno." The original 12" mixes of "Staying Alive," "Night Fever," "More Than A Woman," "If I Can't Have You, " "Open Sesame," and "You Should Be Dancing." Finally, the Bee Gee's version of "If I Can't Have You," which was the b-side of the "Staying Alive" single.

I'll stick with my MoFi CD.

ispace, Grant, J_D__ and 3 others like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great soundtrack, but nothing compelling there for me. I'll pass and stick with what I have.

11. Boxy

Boxy Forum Resident

I love the sound of the MOFI
    That one to me sounds closest to the original USA vinyl.

Dan

Larry Geller likes this.
  12. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply. While I can make a copy of my friend's MoFi Saturday Night Fever CD (am I allowed to say this here?) but I always want the real thing, an original MoFi CD which has to be expensive.

13. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone planning to get this? I'm good with my original vinyl and 2007 cd, but I'm curious to hear SQ reviews on this latest reissue.

Who is Serban and why not release the 12" versions of those songs as featured on Bee Gees Extended EP from RSD a couple years ago?

15. FACE OF BOE

I bought the 2 CD edition yesterday and the 4 bonus Serban Ghenea mixes sound phenomenal. These aren't like those awful dance remixes on the 2007 reissue of Bee Gees Greatest. What Serban Ghenea has done is gone to the original masters and slightly remixed them to bring out details buried in the original mixes. All the original instrumentation is in place and nothing has been added.
    The remastering on the main CD sounds good as well to my ears.

16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

They have to save something for the 50th anniversary.

nosticker likes this.
  17. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ha Ha. Good point. And when no one cares in ten years, someone will say "See? I told you there was no market for this!"

Dan

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  18. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Did the CD's come in a jewel case or cardboard sleeve? Does it say who remastered this new edition. I would love to hear Serban's remix of 'Night Fever' but I guess the label isn't putting this up on any streaming services.

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I read Wally Traugott remastered this set at Capitol.

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Oh boy as I'm not a huge fan of his work. I find most of the in house Capitol remasters to be thin and bright sounding.

21. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

They could have at least included the "demo" of "Night Fever" that was available on Rhino's website for a while (alas, not for non-US folks so I never got hold of it)...

Boxy likes this.
  22. FACE OF BOE

Hi Scott.
    Housed in digipack unfortunatley. Remastered by Wally Traugott. Also comes with a booklet but no liner notes.
    Kind regards
    Marc

Scottb likes this.
  23. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Interesting, there's one customer review for the 2CD version on Amazon that says

"To my ears this original soundtrack disc 1 re-master sounds identical to the 1995 version. It sounds dull, soft and lifeless. Disc 2 on the other hand which features the 4 Serban Mixes has completely different sound quality. Much more like what I was expecting in 2017. Much better bass, and livelier sound along with a greatly increased volume output over disc 1. Did Capitol make a mistake on disc 1 and use the old 1995 re-master?"

If this is true and it's in fact the 1995 remaster, then it might be worth getting. I only have the 2007 Rhino release.

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Didn’t Wally Traugott die in 2010? When did he master this?

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes he did pass away, 7 years ago. Maybe the original vinyl credit still being referenced?
    Bad news, legendary mastering engineer Wally Traugott has died..

A very kind and talented gentleman. He will be missed by us his friends and associates and all lovers of good sounding music. RIP.

Sad news via Scott Ruth:
    --------------------------------
    I regret to inform you that Wally died on Dec. 3, 2010. I don't have many
    details, but I understand he had fallen and hit his head, did not recover
    consciousness, and died at a hospital the next day. He had been retired
    for many years -- first in the Las Vegas area, then in Tucson, AZ. Wally
    has a son and daughter, and is the grandfather of 4 girls. He was a
    genuinely nice guy and will be missed by all.
    ---------------------------------
    His mastering work is here:

Look for the "WALLY" in the leadout groove. A sure sign of quality mastering.
    Essential Wally Traugott masterings

The original mastering is excellent, slightly warmer and more "analog" to my ears than the still somewhat expensive MFSL. I can see how many like the 1995 as well but not my cup o tea.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.