Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" Hey, my career's over, come with me...I can drag you down with me ! " :laugh:

2. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

I thought Mick Jagger was going to be a snore, but he was a great host. I really enjoyed the finale and this season in general. This cast is loaded with talent. Kristen Wiig will be missed, but I'm looking for a breakout season from Taram Killam and Vanessa Bayer next year, they seem RWA to step up to the task. I do hope Sudekis sticks around next season, he's a rock for the show.

3. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Saturday Night Live’s Lorne Michaels: Only Kristen Wiig Is Exiting ‘So Far’; Sudeikis & Samberg Could Stay On

http://www.accesshollywood.com/satu...eikis-and-samberg-could-stay-on_article_65051

NEW YORK, N.Y. -- Kristen Wiig had quite the send-off on “Saturday Night Live” (that included her co-stars, Mick Jagger, Arcade Fire – plus “SNL” alums Amy Poehler, Chris Kattan and Rachel Dratch), but where was the fond farewell for fellow stars Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis, who are also rumored to be exiting the NBC sketch comedy series?

“SNL” executive producer Lorne Michaels told TheWrap that nothing has been decided about the actors’ future on the series.

“Not so far, yeah,” he told TheWrap at the Peabody Awards in New York on Monday, when asked about the lack of any mention on this weekend’s show about Andy and Jason also leaving.

So will the two stars remain on for another season?

“You never know,” Lorne said. “I think everyone gets through the season and just the level of fatigue by the end is just overwhelming, and it’s a very emotional time. I’ve had a rule since the second season, which is to not make any decisions in June. We’ll see in July.”

One “SNL” star who hopes to remain on the series is Fred Armisen, who was also on hand on Monday.

“I hope things keep going. I don’t take anything for granted,” the actor, who has appeared on the NBC series for 10 seasons, said. “I want to burn out. I want it to kill me.”

In case you missed it, see Kristen’s emotional – and rocking – exit from “SNL,” HERE!

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Lots of people seem to dislike the recurring characters and sketches: I have the opposite opinion: I always enjoy recurring sketches like Secret Word, even if it is always the same joke (that Kristen says the secret word). But her little improv bits during the sketch where she acts out one of her Broadway roles are always different and funny.

Same deal with recurring Weekend Update characters like Stefon: you definitely know what's coming, but, to me, it's still funny.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The way he acted during the Wiig "dance" and the end of the show credits (where he was stoic, then absent). Also, several sources reported that at the wrap party Wiig, Samberg and Sudeikis took the stage (where Mick and others had been performing) together and got a standing O from the rest of the cast.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/kristen-wiig-jason-sudeikis-andy-samberg-ve-bid-bye-saturday-night-live-article-1.1081636?localLinksEnabled=false

WAIT! This just in! Sudeikis and Samberg might NOT be leaving per Lorne Michaels:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/saturday-night-lives-lorne-michaels-only-kristen-wiig-is-exiting-so-far-sudeikis-and-samberg-could-stay-on_article_65051

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Watching the cast's farewell to Kristen, I got the impression that all of them were sincerely sad to see her go, and were happy to recognize her. Your mileage may vary, but I didn't see any resentment from the other cast members.

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

"But noooooo!"
    "Well isn't that special!"
    "We are two wild and crazy guys!"
    "Never mind."
    "I'm Gumby dammit!"
    "Schwing!!"
    "Naaaahh!"
    "I'm just a caveman."
    Yes. Recurring jokes for recurring characters are an SNL trademark going back to the beginning. Kristen Wiig's characters may not resonate as much as some have in the past, but for some people they may have been the only reason to watch.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

^

"Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger"
    "No Coke! Pepsi!"
    "Land shark"
    "Want to touch my monkey?"

9. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Catchphrases and repeating jokes are fine, but that's different than basically repeating the same sketch over and over with little variation.

Let's take the "Target Lady" for example....each skit was identical to the one that came before and pretty much could be shown in any order. How about evolving the character and have her land a job with Macy's, Amazon or Whole Foods. How about if Steffon lands a gig with "Entertainment Tonight"? If they want to revisit these characters, give them something new to do each time...

10. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

Jut watched the Mick Jagger one...one of the most hilarious skits ever...Mick crooning to a nerdy cover of "Satisfaction"..he was great.
    I LOOOOOVE Kristen and she was crying in the end there...her and Jon Hader are the best ones. The rest are good(others aren't...Adam ..really?Please!).
    Its ups were really worth it...the downs (the short film-which i can't stand!) were the rest rom breaks...
    Great medley with the Foo Fighters....

11. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Interestingly enough, though, that is precisely how it has been since the beginning of SNL. Thanks to Hulu+, I've been able to go back and watch a ton of episodes across the entire 35+ year span of the show. And I've noticed that this phenomenon was common even during those 20/20 hindsight "glory" years, e.g. the 70s, late 80s, late 90s, etc.

The formula for recurring characters or bits, whether it was during the early "glory" days or the lackluster 2000s, has always been basically designed to build up to one or two punchlines or recurring gags with the same character(s) in very similar situations. The point of those bits is simply to keep a wide swath of viewers tuning in next week for something familiar. It's not high-brow satire; it's a pop culture sketch comedy show.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have hated wiig in snl for a long time. Mostly her recurring characters like gilly or target lady. But I loved her send off at the end. Arcade fire and the snl band playing she's a rainbow was perfect.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Then she could be Whole Foods Lady, I guess? I enjoy the recurring characters, they've been part of the show since I was a kid watching the Coneheads, Landshark, and John Belushi's Samurai character. The recurring character I enjoyed most this week was actually Kenan Thompson's Al Sharpton send-up: "Salmon canaries!?!" Funny stuff. But Wiig and Hader in Secret Word is probably my favorite recurring sketch ever. I also like Killam and Bayer in the recurring J-Pop America Fun Time Now sketch. Hell, I even like The Manuel Ortiz Show.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Those skits are worth it just to watch the expressions Fred Armisen makes. :righton:

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I like the dancing, too.

Call me easily amused.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"....in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!"

17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I would agree only in the case of Gilly, a character that even Wiig wanted to drop, but someone on the show kept coming up with sketches for her.

As for ALL the other repeating characters, repetition is a hallmark of comedy. How many times did Ralph Kramden say, "Bang! Zoom! To the Moon!!!? But you can't argue that it was exactly the same every time. The fun comes in knowing what's going to happen, but not HOW it's going to happen.

This is nuts & bolts stuff.

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

That's the thing: you can't please everyone. I could watch Secret Word and some of the other game show skits every week, but I can't stand Stefon on Weekend Update. I just don't find him funny. Same goes for Laser Cats - I love it, but my wife hates it. Different strokes...

19. For my gf and me, Stefon is one of the best and funniest re-occuring characters on SNL.

New york’s hottest club is Gush. Club owner Gay Dunaway has built a fantasy world that answers the question, “Nooow?” This place has everything: geeks, sherpas, a Jamaican nurse wearing a shower cap, room after room of broken mirrors, and look over there in the corner – is that Mick Jagger? No. It’s a fat kid on a slip ‘n slide. His knees look like biscuits and he’s ready to party.”

Stefon - "New York's hottest club is Push. this club has everything; ghosts, banjos, Carl Palideno, a stuck up kitten who won't sign autographs, furckles..."
    Seth - "oooh, do i wanna know?"
    Stefon - "yes, you do."
    Seth - "so Furckles are.....?"
    Stefon - "Fat urkles!"
    Seth - "sure, sure they are..."
    Stefon - "and after you've been with one of those guys you'll ask yourself 'did i do thaaaat?'"

:laugh: :thumbsup:

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So the two of you understand all those terms ? I ask, because I don't understand any of it, I just see an effeminate guy speaking gibberish. :help:

21. woody

woody Forum Resident

Urkle was the annoying, nerdy kid TV character from a decade or 2 ago who wore his pants way up high, etc.

Stefon cracks me up.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's just brilliant. I love the Stefon character as well.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I love Stefon. . . and it seems to me that the writers are trying to crack him up and almost always succeeding by puttin gin things on the cue cards to derail him.

All those wild references!

24. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I certainly understood all of the terms that are real. And for the ones that are obviously made up, like the mash-up “Furkles,” half the fun is hearing his explanation.

The bit is a nervous and fast stream of gay, drug infused humor that is a critical and absurd view of human nature (itself, often absurd). It is extremely politically incorrect, but no one is spared in the onslaught and the references are usually bizarre enough to avoid censor.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Really? Man, I hate Gilly. My all time least favorite recurring character from a cast member I actually like. I figured Kristen must really love the character as it made several appearances and there was even a prime time SNL special on a weekday hosted by Gilly. I wish she had dropped it early on. Who's the culprit that kept writing bits for that character and made us suffer?

Stefon can be funny, but its setup so that Hader can't deliver the lines in character, totally ruining it for me. Now I just groan and wait for it to end. And it always runs long, because you have to wait for Bill to quit laughing and finally read the damn teleprompter. I'm sure Jay loved having his bit for WU cut this past episode because Stefon ran long again.

I've always really liked Bill, but I can't take that character anymore. And I've come to really, really respect Vanessa and Tarran, who I don't think EVER break character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.