Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Good Eastwood. Much potential for future bits.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Definitely was not too impressed with the Eastwood to be honest. I thought Jackman was best in that skit.

I think once again Weekend Update was my favorite. I did like the Columbus day A**blast. Not a fan of the featured band. Okay, I'm no Kenny G fan but I have to say he was neither out of tune nor bluesy.

3. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Mrs.Potato Dick rules

4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I think they spent too much time building the set for the "Jewish Willy Wonka" monologue bit and not enough on writing this week. Everything was just kinda funny in that episode - great ideas, but half-baked.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I thought the digital short was pretty funny. I wonder if it made Mark Foster self-conscious about wearing his v-neck during the musical performances. :laugh: The "Tinyballs" trailer was pretty funny at the end, too.

6. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I must say the Willy Wonka thing totally cracked me up -- but I do remember being amazed at how much time and effort apparently went into the set and costumes.

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

One of the better episodes. Laughed a lot at my house.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The "your future self" commercial parodys were awful IMO. They were probably targeted at the lower end of the age group population.

9. Lonson

I agree. Not one of them was really funny, and they kept coming on and getting unfunnier.

10. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

When did SNL become nearly entirely dependent on fart jokes?

Granted, it's had its ups and down; but SNL has gone from Letterman to Leno. No bite at all, lowest common denominator humor. Even when it wasn't funny nobody was having sex with themselves or farting in ghost costumes.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Late 70's, early 80's -- e.g., sketch where family living next to nuclear power plant develops "blowholes".

The '80s also had sketches like The Bean Cafe: "You want grated cheese, or do you want me to cut the cheese?"

There was that Will Ferrell sketch where he finds Nirvana in yoga class by bending himself down to pleasure himself.

This happens every season. People complain the show isn't as good, like the good shows when Will Ferrell was on. When Will Ferrell was on, people complained the show wasn't as good, like the good shows when Adam Sandler and Chris Farley were on. When Sandler and Farley were on, people complained that the show wasn't as good, like the good shows when Dana Carvey and Mike Myers were on. When Carvey and Meyers were on, people complained that the show wasn't as good, like the good shows when when Eddie Murphy was on. And so on.

12. Pseudo-bluesy! Anyway, I was just quoting from Pat Metheny's somewhat legendary written assault on Mr G, where he took him to task for having the gall to overdub himself on a Louis Armstrong recording.

13. Lonson

Okay, but you didn't identify that, and it wasn't even psuedo-bluesy. :) I hate Kenny G, but that was not an accurate statement there. . .and not identified as a Metheny quote.

14. I figured somebody would pick up on it, but I guess not! Anyway, for your reading pleasure, check out Metheny's rant in full here:

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

I first came across it when it was adapted for a short article in Harper's about a decade back, called "Oh My God, He's Killed Kenny G!" :laugh:

15. Lonson

I've read it before. Didn't do that much for me then to be frank. I guess if I were more of a Metheny fan it would have resonated more. . . but. . . well . . .I thought at the time it was mean-spirited and made me feel sorry for Kenny G.:)

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

And after you read that, check out Richard Thompson's response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucgZQGPZOpk

17. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

I've been watching it forever. The issue is that now, the *fart itself* is supposed to be the funny part. The blowholes sketch was actually somewhat clever.

18. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Just doesn't seem like Halloween without a visit from Vincent Price and Liberace.

Poor episode last night.

19. conception

conception Forum Resident

Yep, I've heard all of that before. There was plenty of hilarious stuff on when Will Ferrell and the rest of the guys were on SNL, but all you ever heard people talking about was that it didn't compare to anything that went before it. What people don't realize is that SNL has always had a mix of stuff that missed the mark with stuff that was great, and it's easy to selectively remember the good stuff from your favorite years while not really remembering the bad. Also, as people get older, their tastes change from the silliness of SNL, so while they can remember enjoying the shows when they were younger, they wouldn't necessarily care for it as much if it was presented to their older self for the first time.

20. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Maybe I was just in a good mood after chicken pie supper last night, but I can't remember when I laughed so much at a SNL episode. Not even any beer involved.

Liked:
    --Digital Short: Drake
    --GOP Debate
    --Malt Shop: Tell Him

Had their moments:
    --Cold Opening: Bloomberg
    --Monologue
    --What's Wrong With Tanya
    --W.U. (especially Teenage Werewolves)
    --J-Pop America Fun Time (Sudekis saved this one)
    --Lord Windemere

Missed the mark:
    --Manuel Ortiz (the hidden camera part almost got me laughing)
    --Bookstore

Musically, not a big fan of Drake. I find him to be a minor talent and not overly original, but I thought his 2 songs were ok.

Overall I've liked the start to this season.

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yes, I thought the Malt Shop: Tell Him was the best skit last night. I also liked the digital short with Drake. I too agree with you on the J-Pop America Fun Time about Sudekis saving it. Without him, it would've fell flat coming across as stereotyping, in poor taste.

22. The "Tell Him" bit was OK but went on too long IMHO; the "What's Wrong With Tanya?" bit was good as well. The J-Pop bit was OK and didn't need Sudekis to "save it", as it was OK as it was, especially since Ms Bayer was looking awfully cute in the "j-pop" getup...!

Overall not a classic ep, but servicable. Not a bad season at all so far! Just hope that we get a good Halloween ep in a couple of weeks...

23. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

Because of last nights show, I got a crush on Anna Faris! She was great!

24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Walk, don't run, to your local video rental agent and check out her turn in the 2005 film "Just Friends".

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Hmm. I thought Anna brought absolutely zero to the show. That was pretty mediocre.

What's Wrong With Tanya?, Malt Shop and J-Pop America Fun Time were decent, but the rest was pretty awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.