Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I finally got through the Anna Faris episode. She was much better the last time she hosted. For example, I still remember the bit with Kenan Thompson and her singing about their relationship on a boat.

This was the worst episode of the year so far. I have noticed in general the show is better the first week back from a break and then gets worse as they continue week to week before the next break.

This was the Halloween episode. So, I expect a good show when they come back in November.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

..and don't forget "Observe and Report"! Get the blu-ray and enjoy the screen-in-screen commentary track. It's like your in the theather with Anna and Seth. I like to pretend I'm sharing a boxof Junior Mints with Anna while she tells me all about making the movie.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Upcoming hosts and guests announced:

Nov 5 – Charlie Day (“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”) and Maroon 5

Nov 12 – Emma Stone ("The Help") and Coldplay

Nov 19 – Jason Segel ("How I Met Your Mother" and "Forgetting Sarah Marshall") and Florence + The Machine

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Didn't we just have Florence last season? Every music act so far this season, including the upcoming announced ones - crap! I'm just old, I guess. ;)

5. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I'm psyched to see Florence back - I think she's great. And I'm no spring chicken.

6. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Gumpy Olde Man Feels Better In The Morning...

My main pull to watch this show which hasn't been truely funny in years is the musical acts. And this season it has been a real bust--Paul Simon excepted. After that sickly teen 'hit of the moment' guest spot by the most undeserving and out of their league Foster Children, to see this list of who is coming up as music guests has left me stone cold to watch much SNL at all this fall.

Plus, as for hosts, who are these people? :help:

cheers,
    mrbill

7. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

How about the way they handled Ron Paul in the GOP Debate, out in the parking garage? I thought that was strong.

8. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Radiohead crap? I'm not their biggest fan, but on reputation alone the SNL booker gets strong marks for having them on.

Of the 4 who have played so far this season, I thought Radiohead was good, Foster The People and Drake were ok, Lady Antebellum was weak. I'll reserve judgement on future musical guests until I hear/see them.

I've been watching the DVDs of the first seasons over the past year, currently late in season 3. I would say overall the musical guests were better back then, but they had plenty of weeks that I'd put in the ok to weak category.

9. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

IME, the musical guest is always great!

10. Some of you may have already seen this, but for those that haven't, NBC was running two different adverts for the new Brian Williams news magazine show that starts tonight, Rock Center. Both ads are very funny. Not the type of ads you'd normally see for a serious news program.

You can watch both ads at the following Web site. I won't give it away, but the first ad has a connection to SNL.

http://www.shootonline.com/go/index.php?name=Release&op=view&id=rs-web3-6235519-1319736578-2

In the first ad, Brian Williams is riding the elevator in the 30 Rockifeller building. Various news reports join him. Then the elevator door opens and it's Seth Myers. Brian says to news reporter Kate Snow who's in the elevator with him, "Seth Myers, fake news anchor. Not one of ours."

:laugh: :righton:

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Good show tonight after the break. Kardashians, Dr. Oz, Rick Perry, etc.

12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I thought the Kardahians bit was hilarious."We're going to get our anus's bleached":laugh:

13. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

He was a good host but the material was inconsistent. I did love the Greek gods and Seinfeld apartment detective sketches, and I really shouldn't enjoy the "Stand-Up Comedy Catchphrases" as much as I do.

But I am super-psyched for Emma Stone next week.

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I thought it was hilarious!

It gave everyone some screen time and it had that "Four in the morning writing fueled by Red Bull and glazed doughnuts" vibe to it.

Kinda old-skool SCTV feeling as well.

15. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

The thing is, you never, ever expect to find the words "Slappy pappy what what!" remotely amusing in any context...but it just works so perfectly. :laugh:

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This was Catch phrases 2. The original was last season with Zach G. as host. The first was a bit funnier.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't really enjoy Charlie hosting that much. Was a sort of blah episode for me.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Eddie Murphy: 'I'll go back to 'SNL,' he says on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show'

From Nov 3 Ellen show. Seems like Eddie has been very slowly warming up to SNL over the past few months, in all the interviews and press he's been doing for Tower Heist and hosting the Oscars.

Eddie Murphy was also featured in Rolling Stone Magazine recently, although he didn't talk about the possibility of appearing on SNL in that article. In the Rolling Stone Magazine article, Eddie basically said he did not like how SNL made fun of not just a movie that bombed, but his career. He said all material on SNL gets cleared by the top guys, so he held Lorne Michaels accountable for the joke.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/...-snl-he-says-on-the-ellen-degeneres-show.html

19. Daniel Plainview

"BEEEEEEEEF JELLY!"

20. Daniel Plainview

I'm not a big fan of Eddie, but I'd love seeing him don the Gumby suit again. And maybe even bring back "Raheem Abdul Mohammed" and "Tyrone Green". Hell, they could even let Piscopo make a cameo! :D

21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

"I get the free one". The Kardashian skit may be the best send up of the year for SNL. Near perfect - scathing and funny and right on the mark for skewering bloated celebrities. That's what satire does best. Not a joke missed I thought. I enjoyed Seth Meyers follow up line, "Marriage of 3 episodes". BTW What did you all think of Seth? I thought he was on fire last episode and Bill Hader's Rick Perry was a killer "Ola Seth!".

22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Seth did have a good Weekend Update. :righton:

He and Hader have a synergy just by sitting next to each other.

23. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Hader's Rick Perry bit on Weekend Update was hilarious.

Looking forward to Segel hosting in a few weeks. He's hilarious

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Couldn't care less about Eddie Murphy returning to SNL. Keep making bad movies, Eddie. Stay away.

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Yes, another great episode. When does this season end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.