Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

How about Jay Pharoah for Weekend Update then? He's certainly not busy or anything.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought of that. I wouldn't mind that. All I need from his is "attention teachers and students" twice a season.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Bill would be awesome..lI hope he doesn't leave....he is an amazing and versatile talent.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

What strikes me as strange is that according to the article Jason Sudeikis is still apparently on the fence about returning next year. I was all but certain he'd be out by the middle of this season? Not that I mind, he's brilliant.

Another surprise is news that Fred Armisen might be gone after this season as well. Last I heard he said he wanted to stay as long as possible. Wonder what's going on? Maybe Seth leaving is having something to do with it?

dan c

7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Perhaps there was a conversation that went something like this:

Fred: Hey Lorne, can I have Weekend Update?
    Lorne: No

Dan C likes this.
  8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love Hader but this new crop is really good. It's their time now.

9. Once again after too much beer and pizza I dozed off on the couch and missed the whole thing. Doesn't sound like I missed too much though, seeing as it seems to have been 80% rehash.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Last I heard, Seth said he would stay on SNL until doing both it and his late night show became overwhelming. And that show doesn't start until sometime 2014, so he will still be on for awhile.

I'll really miss Hader. Game shows just won't be the same without him.

11. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Hader owned the smarmy game show host role, but I find pretty much everything he does to be funny. He will be missed.

13. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

Hader might be one of the best cast members ever. He brought a lot to the show even when the material wasn't great.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think they've needed a refresh of the male side of the cast for a while -- Armisen, Kenan, Meyers have all been there for over 10 years, and Sudeikis and Hader have been there since 2005. But I thought Hader would stay longer than those guys to anchor a newer cast -- I wasn't expecting him to leave first!

15. Squealy

I believe Seth is staying with the show for the rest of this calendar year but will be gone in 2014. There's no way he would host a late night show and continue to do SNL.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

He could continue in a non-writing role for SNL. He could still do WU, but I agree, it would not make sense for him to try and stay on as head writer (or any kind of writer) at SNL while doing his late night show. I don't know if he will actually do both concurrently or make a clean break from SNL before the late night show starts. Guess we'll see.

17. Squealy

Some people are guessing John Mulaney -- one of the writers, who is also a stand-up comedian and has appeared on Update a couple of times -- will be offered the Update role. He and Lorne did a pilot for NBC for next season but it wasn't picked up -- this could be a consolation prize. He's never been asked to be in the ensemble because he's more of a stand-up than a sketch performer, but Update could be a good place for him. He's the guy who writes the Stefon character.

18. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

SNL is really showing its age. Creaky skits based on worn out cultural phenoms like game shows, soap operas, Lawrence Welk, etc....... The Digital Shorts werre hit and miss, but were a bit of a cheat too since they were not live. The casts and guests read off cue cards more than Bob Hope ever did. The cast giggles at each other more than Carol Burnett and friends ever did. Two targets that early SNL never tried to emulate. Korean Water Ghosts skit shows that (near) greatness can still be reached.

19. Squealy

As I said in either this thread or last year's, they probably do so many game show skits because they don't require any blocking -- everyone just stands at their podium.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You realize that "SNL" has featured filmed content since the start, right?

21. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Of course. Albert Brooks, etc...... I also realize that they ripped-off the Bloody Finger sketch fromt the early days with the Bloody Massage sketch. Reminds me of a McCartney lyric "I go back so far I'm in front of me"

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Maybe it's just me showing my age, but I find the Lawrence Welk skits funny.

Agree that that was pretty hilarious.

23. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think it's time to go. Some players can gel with majority new casts like Phil Hartman did and especially Tim Meadows who truly found his niche with the 95/66 cast. I don't think Bill's sensibilities quite jibe with this cast, IMO. The only veteran hold over I see working next year is Kenan Thompson. It's time for Fred Armisen to leave soon too.

24. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

SOS SNL!
    With senior cast members jumping ship and honcho Lorne Michaels helming ‘Tonight,’ is the iconic sketch-comedy show about to sink?

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/sos_snl_qlRUco4bhC8GDTfPKl05SP

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think Taran Killam, Vanessa Bayer, Kate McKinnon, & Cecily Strong will thrive next year. Sad to see Hader go, but the young talent they have is funny.

agentalbert and bartels76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.