Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2013-2014 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

every time I look at movies on pay per view there is always some Kristin Wiig comedy that skipped theaters and went straight to home video-she'd better get on a sitcom fast

zebop likes this.
  2. Yeah, what is her deal? She followed the Larraine Newman career path - be very talented, get famous and then leave the show and fall off the face of the earth.

3. Or she could go back to writing Academy Award nominated screenplays.

4. Well, that's more a blow against the Academy than a true accolade for Wiig...but still, I guess.

jupiter8 likes this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the difficulty for a lot of the performers is that they might excel at short form sketch comedy, but once you've passed through Second City style revue stages and SNL, where else can you do that kind of humour? Dana Carvey was a classic example of this -- he was a great impressionist and came up with other funny sketch characters, but he didn't have a strong persona of his own that would work in longer form stories, like Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, or the skills or charisma needed to move into more conventional acting roles the way someone like Amy Poehler or Jason Sudeikis has. Basically, when not "in disguise" as a character he wasn't interesting. Jimmy Fallon was in this same boat until Lorne rescued him with Late Night. Mike Myers got lucky with two sketch like characters at the movies, but hasn't been able to repeat that success or transition into other kinds of parts.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

what, this isn't classic screenwriting to you?

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

She was mocking Barbara Walters on The View last week....not that I watch that show.....my wife told me....no, honest....

zebop likes this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

You can look forward to Cheri Oteri on "Hot In Cleveland" June 4.

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Mike Myers' issue has more to do with the fact that he behaves like a spoiled child on-set and as a result has had much of Hollywood secretly wishing for him to fail for years.

In short he is out of friends and opportunities especially in light of his not so recent live action bombs.

kevywevy likes this.
  10. Squealy

Still, he's stuck in sketch-comedy mode as a performer.

11. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

If he isn't careful with his money, he's eventually gonna be stuck in 7-Eleven mode.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Squealy

Well, he's also sleeping on what I assume is a titanic green pile of Shrek money, so I wouldn't worry about him.

Like I said, he's lucky -- he may only have been able to do a couple of successful things after SNL but they were so successful it doesn't matter what else he does or doesn't do... Especially considering one of them is little more than a mediocre Scottish accent.

13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

if Chevy Chase can have a 40 year career out of one season of SNL and the "Vacation" movies (all while being mostly hated by anyone who had to work with him) anything is possible.

14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

15. Pretty sure Caddyshack, Fletch and ¡Three Amigos! should be thrown in there as well. Chevy's done alright for himself over the years for being a renowned prick to work with.

16. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Yeah, he's just "lucky" to have starred in (and written) several of the highest-grossing comedies of all time. It could so easily have been you.

17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Oh behave!

18. Squealy

I'm not saying he has no talent (though I don't think his Scottish accent is very good) or that he had nothing to do with his own success... but then he hasn't come up with another Austin Powers or Wayne's World either, so it's a good thing they were so popular.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  19. BurgerKing

"Hey, Will, it's Cheri again. Still wondering if you've made any progress on that cheerleaders movie script you used to talk about. Please call me back..."

20. danner

danner Forum Resident

It bums me out to think about Dana Carvey. He's easily one of the strongest cast members the show ever had, but he just couldn't put anything together after leaving. I saw him on Leno in the mid-2000s, and he was still doing his Ross Perot impression. It was sad.

21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

His late 90s ABC variety show was pretty hit and miss but way edgier than most other things on at the time- amazing supporting cast (Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert) and writers (Charlie Kaufman, Robert Smigel. Louis CK). Carvey was also the victim of a botched heart surgery shortly after that show and it certainly didn't help his career. We'll forget that movie where he played a turtle.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Master of Disguise! I rented it once. The only thing I remember is Dana doing an imitation of Quint from Jaws for no apparent reason. I wanted to like it but....it was hard to.....

I eventually bought a pre-viewed copy from the Hollywood Video $1.99 used DVD table. I still haven't opened it. Someday there will be an itch and I will be able to scratch that particular itch.

23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

"Master of Disguise" was like a bad Jerry Lewis movie (and I love Jerry Lewis)

24. BurgerKing

Nous faisons tous

25. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

That would be more believeable if the cast & writers were actual under 30 young people.

rburly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.