Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2013-2014 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I thought the Boenner and Bachman video was very funny. I only got to see 2/3 as something before SNL (NFL I guess) ran late and I lost the last third on the VCR.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think she is a horrible actress. I know she's popular and the kids like her but the whole "hip hop southern ya'll" whatever she calls that schtick, gets old really quick. Really annoying. I turned it off afetr 20 minutes.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  3. egor

egor Forum Resident

I forgot that Miley was the musical guest as well as host. When the time came for the musical performance I thought it was another skit.

4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I could only stand the first 30 min. Miley was annoying. The only funny part I saw was the 50 Shades auditions.

agentalbert likes this.
  5. I thought it was a solid show and I liked both songs.

zebop likes this.
  6. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Decent show but when will we finally get really good musicians and not a bunch of whiners and hip hop artists. Us old folks still like to watch too. Man, they missed a golden opportunity last year to try and get Van Halen on.

7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Whoever wrote the cheerleaders abduction sketch deserves an Emmy.

I am an idiot.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's really all I liked to. I guess the open with old (young?) Miley talking to current Miley had a few laughs. I did get a kick out of Tarran's Robin Thicke saying "are you ready to start clawing at my junk while I sorta half-sing?". The 50 Shades screentests were really funny. I barely laughed at the rest and thought most of it was pretty bland. Definite step down from last week.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Originally missed the last part of the episode, but now that I've seen it all, there was some good stuff towards the end. I liked "Mornin' Miami" and the poetry teacher Vanessa played. The final digital-short like sketch was okay, as well.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thought the opening sketch combining the government closure with Gravity was hysterical and very creative. An okay episode actually....I think we all have to get acclamated with the new actors.

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Thoughts:
    • It's great to see Kyle and Beck doing some low-key shorts.
    • Why did the two recurring sketches tonight have to be of the most annoying characters from last year?
    • Boy Dance Party was a little too close to a Digital Short for my liking. I'd rather they not go down that path.
    • The Bruce & Kris joke parade was great and shows how much better Update is with a duo than one person.
    • Brooks Wheelan looks like Taran with bushy eyebrows and a wig.
    • I've always found Katy Perry's singals pretty catchy, but that Walking on Air song was a snoozer.
    • Vanessa Bayer can't do Lady Gaga.
    • You can apparently make a living now off of being a gay backup dancer that brings props on and off stage.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Was it me or did the barbershop sketch seem like a staight ripoff of Coming to America.

Jayski likes this.
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They need to get the new guys established, cause right now it feels like Taran and Kenan are leading every sketch.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bobby Moynahan was all over the place last night. And I don't mind that.

I liked the NASA sketch. I liked the Gaga show sketch mostly due to the Penelope Cruz impersonation. Kinda lukewarm on most of the rest. Didn't need a rehash of the guy who makes fun of mispronunciations or whatever the hell that thing is. Funny the first time, but this was essentially the same thing all over again.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If you are referring to the kitty cat skit....I agree. Really? And they put a lot of effort into it, but that's a one trick pony character. I agree with your update comments....nice to have another character to play off of. Agree on Kate....nice job on the first performance! Hard to believe I forgot the name of the song, but I'm in for her new album.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don't think they are utilizing Vanessa enough.

17. OldSoul

You know what bugs me? In old seasons, you'd see a new aspect of a character or his/her life each time a sketch came on. The best example of that I can think of at the moment is Todd & Lisa. Now, a repeated sketch means you're getting, almost verbatim, the exact sketch again. Examples of that are: the two from last night, The Californians, the employees that think they're fired and go off on everyone. It really bugs me. Take the latter, for example. Back in the day, (I don't know exactly when it stopped, I'm guessing the late '90s of early '00s) we probably eventually would've seen those two characters out with friends and how they likewise go off on that friend if they thought they were being insulted, or something. Or maybe even them going off on a costumer. Not now. Now we just get the same skit in 2 or 3 different locations, somehow with the same exact workers.

anthontherun, trem two and rburly like this.
  18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I caught the last part of the musical act of last nights SNL. The listings said Katy Perry, but this was a band with two singers (male and female). The male singer(blond and was running his fingers through his hair) kept adjusting some kind of effects box next to his mic, and the female singer (with dark frizzy hair) was doing the robot (?). Any idea who it was? They wore vaguely western-style suits, had two guitar players, and a horn section. I dug the song, but missed the introduction and didn't get to see anymore of the show. Sorry to be so vague, but I couldn't tell more about the song other than it was dance/techno oriented.

19. egor

egor Forum Resident

Once again I mistook the musical performance segment for a skit.

20. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I don't know the song, but the last performance was definitely Katy Perry.

I thought it was pretty good with the wind and veils used throughout the song.

21. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I thought the last 2 shows were pretty embarrassing.

If Katy didn't have the stupid animal costumes on the band, it would have been good, visually. The song isn't too bad for a pop song.

Bruce was the best at playing harmonica.

22. OldSoul

That was Arcade Fire from the premiere. I don't know why your market was showing that episode.

23. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I was happy to see that Curious George has a new gig after being out of the spotlight for a while.
    [​IMG]

agentalbert, PennyLanes and OldSoul like this.
  24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

That's why I was so confused with the act. I knew it wasn't Katy Perry. Thanks for the info!

25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

NBC aired a 60-minute edit of the premiere in primetime last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.