Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2013-2014 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Oh, that's right. I forgot they do that now. I knew people would mistake the repeat for the original, somehow.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really liked the "5 Hour Energy For Dating An Actress" commercial. Cecily and Kate were very funny in that one.

OldSoul likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, the 24 Hour Energy was the best skit. The rest was rather forgettable I'm afraid.

4. agentalbert

I also like the one where the soldiers were going over their mission responsibilities, and Bruce Willis kept describing things like in a movie.

Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Nasim is the one they are not utilizing enough.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Comcast zooms in way too close on their non HD channels, so I avoid watching anything other than local news there.
    I instead, try to catch things On Demand, which has the proper aspect ratio, but...no fast forward capability, and far too many commercials. Yesterday I watched up until Weekend Update was over, but that Armageddon skit was so unfunny, and since I can't fast forward, I just gave up entirely.

7. egor

egor Forum Resident

Last night's Ed Norton ep wasn't bad. The Wes Anderson horror movie trailer was a highlight. Janelle Monae's performance wasn't bad either.

Dan C likes this.
  8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

"Dear homeowner, can we kill you? –The Murderers." "Dear murderers, no you may not –The Homeowner."

Dan C likes this.
  9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Not very impressed with the new cast so far and SNL still relies on too many repeated skits. It's those shorts they do that still excels.

10. OldSoul

They had a repeat sketch last night?

11. OldSoul

I loved that last sketch with the Halloween candy. The only thing I didn't like was Bobby coming in and doing the son. I realized last night that he frequently plays a character that says something stupid, smiles or smirks, then cocks his head down.

Dan C likes this.
  12. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I didn't love the show. I'm not feeling much cast chemistry aside from the women. It's a mess....

13. JohnG

Recurring characters like that one where Bobby Moynahan plays the confused Jersey guy on the Update.

14. OldSoul

Oh. Well, WU has never really been the place for new characters.
    You know what else I realized last night? The second hand news guy is basically Emily Litella.

kevywevy likes this.
  15. agentalbert

I thought the open on healthcare.gov was funny. When she called for IT, for just a second I was hoping it would be Nick Burns "your office compuer guy". Missed opportunity!

Pumpkin Spice hygiene product was funny. And Jay was great in "12 days not a slave". Aidy doesn't do much for me, but every now and then she delivers a line just right.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty bland episode. I've never found the Anthony Crispino guy funny.

16. JohnG

The opening is usually good (they work hard on that) and the pre-taped segments are usually comedy gold.
    Wish they'd release a DVD of all of those shorts.

17. egor

egor Forum Resident

Aspects of the Halloween sketch were in the spirit of the weirdness of Michael O'Donoghue.

Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought it was the best of episode of the season so far. It was obvious that Edward Norton prepared extensively.

I'm looking forward to Kerry Washington next week. She will be hot to look at even if the skits are not that funny.

zebop and Jrr like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I liked the Ed Norton episode a lot. Liked just about every skit, especially the Wes Anderson horror film trailer. Rain Man skit was 20 years too late but still funny. Norton was quite good.

Dan C likes this.
  20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I laughed out loud more in the first 45 minutes of this episode than I have in a long time. Monae held my interest. Then it fell apart for me at Weekend Update.

21. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Not so with Nov.2nds open. But the DNC probably liked the non-political aspect of that boring opening. It wasn't funny or political.

Jrr likes this.
  22. My goodness, this ep is just ****e so far. Maybe I'll throw on some Ratt.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup, I gave up after Update...that wasn't even very good IMO! I kind of liked the skit where the black people were asked whether they would still vote for Obama if this or that happened. Man, I hope the season improves. I sure enjoyed the cast from the last few years.

24. OldSoul

I thought this was the best episode of the season. I liked every sketch. I especially lived all the self referential jokes.
    The black people on Obama sketch was funny, but there was a sketch just like that with Garrett Morris back in the day, I just don't remember what they were talking about.

phish, Doug Sclar and Lonson like this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Worst episode in years, IMO. A couple of funny ideas, like the jab at themselves for not having a minority female in the cast, but wow, that was weak overall. What the heck was that ice cream film thing at the end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.